• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Video encoding (not TG)

ske

Well, parts of this topic have been brought up in earlier threads but mostly regarding resizing and dvd-ripping.. but I hope you'll bear with me.

I've been getting into a little bit of video editing/encoding lately (mainly GT4 drift vids yet :p ).. But I'm a bit stumped by the horrible quality per MB I get using WMV. I notice that eg VUK's TG eps are a hell of a lot better, higher screen size AND smaller in relative filesize :|

Does anyone have enough experience in encoding that they could tell me which settings/filters/etc to use when encoding my vids like that? If it's possible to encode like that directly from Vegas, that'd be a big plus.. but I realize Vegas don't have all the options apps like VirtualDub has. My XVid renders so far seem way yoo grainy, blocky and big... If needed, I could probably render the file using Huffyuv first, then convert in an outside app.. but since Vegas CAN encode XviD I'm hoping I wouldn't have to.

Another problem I'm having with XviD encoding is that I seem to get 16:9 letterboxing even though the actual clip is 4:3... resulting in both horizontal and vertical letterboxing :?

My vids are usually about 5 minutes in length -- and I'm aiming for 1mbps or less total (8mb/minute) with a screen res of 640x500 (or 640x480 for that matter)... which should be plenty when I look at the quality of those 350MB clips.

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Links to my first vids, btw... as you can see, the vid quality per MB leaves a lot to be desired :(
(right click, save as.. )