Vietnam Special in HD?

TG was not airing in HD at that time, so no HD version exists. (The show didn't go to HD until Series 14.)

I've been looking for this for a long time too...
in the end i've at least tried to enhance the original 700MB file

here you can find a 720i edit of the original Top Gear Vietnam Special.
i have upscaled the pixels and applied some filters to enhance detail and frame smoothness.

it's not a miracle, but it's definitively an improvement on a big screen

part 1:
Top Gear - series 12 - episode 8 - Vietnam Special - 720i - remastered by Thunder.part1

part 2:
Top Gear - series 12 - episode 8 - Vietnam Special - 720i - remastered by Thunder.part2

comparison:

original frame:
di-KDLR.jpg

original frame zoomed at 720p size:
di-GXBG.jpg

720i enhanced, 100% size:
di-K14X.jpg

Last edited:
Your "enhancement" reduces the level of detail in bright areas of the frame.

Also, why would you got for a 720i format from a progressive source?

Additionally, if you're going to attempt some "enhancement", why not start off from the highest quality source available?

See how the number plate is much more readable?

The problem is that this "enhancement" is not really possible. The only things you can do to make a bit nicer to look at, is to upscale and sharpen it.
You best let the video like it is and look at the setting of your TV, Flatscreens and the PS3 can do that while playing.

Btw, where can you get the 480p version from?

Btw, where can you get the 480p version from?

The frame grab I posted is from the BBC iPlayer version at its flashvhigh quality setting. The main differences between that and the regular xvid files we have in the season packs is the h264 codec, slightly more crop, slightly higher resolution, slightly better image quality, slightly larger file (793MB in this case, 640-660 for regular episodes) and the BBC logo in the top left corner.

The Vietnam Special was released on DVD as part of 2009's "The Great Adventures 2" set, so that's probably as good as it gets in terms of quality.

Comparing the DVD to the other 2, you see that the iPlayer version is nearly as good as the DVD.

http://img40.imageshack.**/img40/8605/vlcsnap2012010513h33m55.jpg

The main advantage with the DVD is the lack of the BBC logo and the more generous crop :nod: the numberplate is also a tiny bit more intelligible.

well, thank you guys for this info, i was not aware of the DVD, neither been able to download the iPlayer version.

can you provide links or uploads?

this is just the best TG special and it is a shame to not get hold of a good quality version, especially after the annoying India special

The main advantage with the DVD is the lack of the BBC logo and the more generous crop :nod: the numberplate is also a tiny bit more intelligible.
The only thing that's annoying me with the DCs is the different music, the TV music is sometimes better.

can you provide links or uploads?
Google for "Top Gear - The Great Adventures 2 iso rapidshare.com" (Not sure if links were allowed)

It's a shame it doesn't exist, if there ever was a Top Gear episode that deserved HD, it's this one.

It's a shame it doesn't exist, if there ever was a Top Gear episode that deserved HD, it's this one.

doesn't mean they won't ever air an higher quality one... usually the recordings aremuch better than the actual broadcasted materials. (just like you have old movies showing up now in 720p)

Yesterday I watched the audio commentary of the Botswana episode and they said, that at a point the music doesn't fit anymore in the dc, so I was wondering what was there first the DC or the TV version?

Swapped music is a legal issue. For regular broadcasting the BBC has a wide permission to use whatever they want. For selling DVDs this does not apply, so they have to swap out some music.

I have watched the Vietnam and Bolivia DC and you don't really notice the difference in music. The only change in the Vietnam special I mind is "Hans Zimmer - Why So Serious" to something else.

Most blatantly it's noticeable in the Polar Special when JC is skiing behind the Indestructilux. He starts singing I Get Around by The Beach Boys, and in the originally aired version it blends over to the actual song. In the DC it blends to something else :puke:

I think the songs also change in Botswana, when James & Jeremy are tormenting Richard via walkie-talkie, as he's trying to fix Oliver after the river dunking.