Viper's 1988 Chevrolet Crapsica LT

I'd arguably choose a Skoda over the equivalent VW offering if they had the brand here.

Narrator: Never before have such damning words been uttered about an automotive brand!

Narrator: Never before have such damning words been uttered about an automotive brand!

:lol: Ok fine, so it wasn't the most idk...threatening choice of words. :p

Did more driving on Tuesday! Practiced hill starting using the handbrake as it was a rather steep hill and I don't trust myself quite yet with just the clutch and throttle alone (didn't want to stall it). Also watched my dad's feet as he showed me how he does it a few times (quickly off the brake and onto the gas, feathering it and the clutch). I'm sure I'll be able to do it eventually without thinking about it (much like playing a racing game), but for now I just need yet more practice. :)

When I was learning it took me only a few weeks to get confident enough with hill starts. After a couple of months, the manual will be second nature to you. I rarely use a handbrake for hill starts any more.

When I was learning it took me only a few weeks to get confident enough with hill starts. After a couple of months, the manual will be second nature to you. I rarely use a handbrake for hill starts any more.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get to that point but this was only my third time out with a manual. :p

I managed to unlearn my stick-shifting skills in six months, by tooling around in the automatic Sunny Coup? and nothing else just after getting my licence. I pretty much had to re-learn in the military trucks, which handily taught me double-declutching and revmatching skills.

Handbrake start tips(from a person who learned manual last year);
Handbrake up
Slowly let clutch out while you press the accelerator.(like a normal start)
You'll feel the back of the car dip a little and the car wanting to pull forward. You will hear the engine trying to go a little higher.
Release handbrake
Release clutch, since you're new, you'll probably still be holding it in a lot further than you want to, so let go, but don't drop it.

Handbrake start tips(from a person who learned manual last year);
Handbrake up
Slowly let clutch out while you press the accelerator.(like a normal start)
You'll feel the back of the car dip a little and the car wanting to pull forward. You will hear the engine trying to go a little higher.
Release handbrake
Release clutch, since you're new, you'll probably still be holding it in a lot further than you want to, so let go, but don't drop it.

Yep, yep. I'm decently good at handbrake starts since I'm able to give it more gas to compensate for shit clutch control.

Proper 'pulling-away' procedure for stick shift.

Press and hold clutch to floor
Press and hold accelerator to floor, engine should become audible
Release clutch quickly.

Proper 'pulling-away' procedure for stick shift.

Press and hold clutch to floor
Press and hold accelerator to floor, engine should become audible
Release clutch quickly.

:cool::viper::burnrubber::shock2:
smileyvault-rip.gif

:lol:

At least I'd die with a smile on my face. :D

Your signature makes me want to use that site for my Viper when I get it, narf. Based on my estimates, it'd use 19.6 liters per 100 km. :lol:

Please do :lol: yours would be the first Viper to properly submit data.

Side note on the Fabia figures: It's still breaking in / averaging out the break-in :) should drop noticeably in the near future.

Last edited: