Ownership Verified: Viper's 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (A 17+ Year Dream Come True!)

Adrian

Chariot of Fire
Car(s)
'13 VW T5, '07 SMC, '94 BMW 850, '92 Donkervoort
According to Google 10.5 front with 275s (should be 285s) will fit easy.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
According to Google 10.5 front with 275s (should be 285s) will fit easy.
I believe the track package runs 295's, but glad my existing tires will fit! I guess my only concern now is rubbing when turning, which already may happen.

rootrider

Mr. TDI SportWagen
Car(s)
'95 E36 M3, '11 F10 550i M-Sport
your tires will "fit".. with some stretch. There's nothing really wrong with that. Most tires are a little stretched these days, rather than poking out like tires used to on older cars.

Adrian

Chariot of Fire
Car(s)
Yup. Run out the ones you have then get proper sized one later :)

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Yup. Run out the ones you have then get proper sized one later :)
I'm not sure I want to. Running wider tires in the front reduces the built-in understeer (as opposed to more deadly oversteer) and also makes it even worse on the freeway where there's ruts in the road (it's bad now).

Maybe I'll just stick to a 10" wheel. :(

rootrider

Mr. TDI SportWagen
Car(s)
you need to track your car a bit so you can get away from thinking that oversteer is deadly :p

rootrider

Mr. TDI SportWagen
Car(s)
It's a street car that I take on the track, not a track car that I take on the street. ;)
I am well aware of this :D
but the more you are familiar with the car, the less you will ever need to rely on built-in understeer to get you out of a situation. Your description for why the car has smaller front tires looks more like you're reading from a marketing or legal brochure.. it just looks like you're repeating what others, who also have never had the chance to really push their cars in a safe environment so they can learn how to control it, have told you.

Don't take that as me pushing you to do something to lessen any understeer. I wouldn't recommend that you do so until you are confident with the car at high speed and in extreme situations... something you can only really learn in a car control clinic and at the track. But I do believe that once you gain that confidence you'll start to worry less about thinking that oversteer is the way to death with the car :D

Last edited:

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
I am well aware of this :D
but the more you are familiar with the car, the less you will ever need to rely on built-in understeer to get you out of a situation. Your description for why the car has smaller front tires looks more like you're reading from a marketing or legal brochure.. it just looks like you're repeating what others, who also have never had the chance to really push their cars in a safe environment so they can learn how to control it, have told you.

Don't take that as me pushing you to do something to lessen any understeer. I wouldn't recommend that you do so until you are confident with the car at high speed and in extreme situations... something you can only really learn in a car control clinic and at the track. But I do believe that once you gain that confidence you'll start to worry less about thinking that oversteer is the way to death with the car :D
I just know that guys who track their Vipers a lot run a 285 instead of a 275 as it reduces understeer, however on the street it has drawbacks, especially in terms of ruts.

My understanding was the car was set up to have a little understeer in it to prevent the opposite. /shrug

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 PRHT
Viper: when I'm doing tire research, this is what is use - http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

It's a really nice calculator. Put in stock. Put in what you wanna use. Tells you if it'll fit or not, plus how off your speedo... all that good stuff

/latetotheparty

Adrian

Chariot of Fire
Car(s)
Brilliant site, same as i use. I was just having trouble finding the specs for the different wheels. D:

VUK

Car(s)
2001 BMW M5 CARBON BLACK
Congrats Viper on your Viper!

My dream car also!

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
Viper: when I'm doing tire research, this is what is use - http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

It's a really nice calculator. Put in stock. Put in what you wanna use. Tells you if it'll fit or not, plus how off your speedo... all that good stuff

/latetotheparty
That's a cool site, but is there any way to convert it into using Imperial tire sizes? Offroad tires aren't generally measured in metric....