Ownership Verified: Viper's 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (A 17+ Year Dream Come True!)

PANIC ? whaaaaaaaaaaaaat ?

Don't all key fobs have an alarm button on them?

My Mustang's looks like this (red button is the alarm):

First time I have seen one...

American Car exclusive maybe ?

bmw-key.jpg

porsche%20key.JPG

NewFiat500_key.jpg

First time I have seen one...

American Car exclusive maybe ?

bmw-key.jpg

porsche%20key.JPG

The panic button for BMW's is the trunk button. You just hold it for 5-10 seconds. I remember Porsche keys had a panic button on the side or bottom of the key, not sure about Fiats tho :p

Before you change them, burnout the old ones...

This.

It's highly unlikely I'm actually going to do a burnout in them. I may find a bit parking lot and break loose but I'm not going to sit in place and burn rubber. Bad for the clutch, bad for the brakes, bad for the fender wells, etc.

And I may hang onto the tires just for fun anyway when I'm done. They're so massive!

A line lock saves the brakes and the clutch. And a little burnt rubber on the fender wells is like a badass looking battle scar.

Since we're on the subject, how many times have you got the "do a burnout!" yelled at you?

That's awesome!

Congrats on the new car, and a dream come true. One of these days, I won't have a rear-seat requirement for my car anymore (damned kids!)...

The general rule of them is that more cylinders means more smoothness (yes there are exceptions like L6s).

Rotary owners disagree. :p Less is more!

EDIT:

P.S. My key's better:

key1.jpg

:D

Last edited:
when i drove the viper at the SRT experience the grip was one of the 2 biggest things that stood out to me. it is hard to describe how much grip that car has to someone who has not felt it.

I'm going to assume you were on the autocross then because they actually have very little grip near the limit and at speed. I've taken more than one trip spinning through the grass in one at VIR. A friend has a track car ACR that I've done a few laps in, and that car has Sport Cup semi-slicks. :p

PANIC ? whaaaaaaaaaaaaat ?

That's the button you push when you give it too much throttle coming out of Oak Tree. :lol:

Last edited:
Well I had a bit too much excitement for one night tonight. :(

It was a nice and sunny evening so I went out driving. About 9 miles from home it started to sprinkle. Not ideal as I didn't want to drive in the rain but not the end of the world. I pulled off the road and into a patch of gravel near an intersection of two country roads. Turned off the car, popped the trunk, put the roof up, and was good to go. Started it up, took off, and noticed that it was running rough, had limited power, and the engine light was on (but not flashing, flashing = end of the world). Oh no, the limp mode I had heard about! It was capping me at 2500 RPM. Drove until I could find a place to pull over and looked under the hood. Nothing obviously wrong. Sounded like a truck (more than usual :p) and running a little rough though. All gauges were reading within bounds. Decided nothing I could do and I didn't feel it was an "oh shit" problem so I drove some more. Eventually decided to pull over at a real proper spot instead of on the edge of the road. After some manual reading and some Googling, I decided it was fine to limp it home and avoid the freeways. Ended up making it home but it was knocking quite a bit all the way.

Popped the hood for a thorough inspection in my garage -- nothing wrong. No leaks, nothing smoking, etc. Google revealed that other '08 owners had this issue when a sensor went bad.

I'll start it up tomorrow to see if it's still doing it and if so give my local dealer a call.

Scared the fucking shit out of me.

Which sensor?

Which sensor?

Further Googling shows multiple potential issues, the most common seeming to be a bad fuel injector. Others have been the cam sensor maybe or the PCM (?) needs reflashing, whatever that means.

Well, hopefully it's easy, cheap, and fast for you :)

PCM = Powertrain Control Module = computer that runs the engine. You really should get a code reader and pull the codes off it to see what the computer thinks went wrong.

PCM = Powertrain Control Module = computer that runs the engine. You really should get a code reader and pull the codes off it to see what the computer thinks went wrong.

How much does one of those run from an auto parts store?

How much does one of those run from an auto parts store?

They're cheaper at Walmart. A basic reader can be had for around $50.

Edit: Here is a commonly available and decently-reviewed unit available at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3030-CanOBD2-Maintenance-Indicator-Car-Reader/13029622

Ignore their "code translation" software and desired upcharge when you get the thing, code translation is cheap and free on the Internet. The important part is to get something like this that can retrieve the raw OBD-II and CANBUS codes.

Last edited: