• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Ownership Verified: Viper's 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (A 17+ Year Dream Come True!)

have you ran the gear ratio options through a calculator and figured out what the RPMs will be at, say 70mph.. and what speed you'll be at your normal shift point in each gear.. compared with now?

My M3 has a 3.15 rear right now and I have a 3.38 to put in. The difference is only a few mph. I'm not sure it will affect traction that much.. but then your car is a bit more powerful than mine is :D

I love how you refer to your current gear ratio as "economical" with an 8.4L V10 under the hood.

The gears are. The engine? Not so much. They balance each other out.

have you ran the gear ratio options through a calculator and figured out what the RPMs will be at, say 70mph.. and what speed you'll be at your normal shift point in each gear.. compared with now?

My M3 has a 3.15 rear right now and I have a 3.38 to put in. The difference is only a few mph. I'm not sure it will affect traction that much.. but then your car is a bit more powerful than mine is :D

Do you have such a calculator handy? I believe my transmission gear ratios are 2.66, 1.82, 1.30, 1.00, 0.741, 0.50 with a redline of 6250.

I love how you refer to your current gear ratio as "economical" with an 8.4L V10 under the hood.

28 MPG! Helps that I'm doing 1700 RPM.

To be honest, if I had an engine with 500tq/530hp, I'd put in the longest gearing I could get my hands on. :lol:

Then again, I'm a cruising man.

Do you have such a calculator handy? I believe my transmission gear ratios are 2.66, 1.82, 1.30, 1.00, 0.741, 0.50 with a redline of 6250.

TIL that a Viper is more economical than my Legacy GT.

The advantage of extra acceleration is not there in your case, as you're traction limited and have enough torque. If it was me i'd go the other way and have a more useable 5th for highway driving and 6th for night-time highway driving :p

TIL that a Viper is more economical than my Legacy GT.

I was thinking the same might be true when compared to my Miata, but then I realized that only the top entry was 28mpg, whereas my car has been averaging that since I bought it.

It's about as economical as a Patriot. :D

Just about the same as my Mustang. I range between 24 and 30 mpg on the highway depending on fuel quality (actually been meaning to write something up about this based on my recent roadtrip to MA), terrain and speed.

To be honest, if I had an engine with 500tq/530hp, I'd put in the longest gearing I could get my hands on. :lol:

600hp/560tq, 533hp/500tq at the wheels! :p

The advantage of extra acceleration is not there in your case, as you're traction limited and have enough torque. If it was me i'd go the other way and have a more useable 5th for highway driving and 6th for night-time highway driving :p

I can't use 6th gear until about 70 MPH and even then I have to downshift to go up a steep hill. 6th gear is way too tall, another reason I'm thinking about switching to 3.55s.

I was thinking the same might be true when compared to my Miata, but then I realized that only the top entry was 28mpg, whereas my car has been averaging that since I bought it.

My overall average is ~17MPG.

Anyway, they got my Viper's differential torn apart. They had to separate a bearing or something like that in order to get the stuck stub axle out, which is also chewed up and needs replacing. The real bad news is that the Visco-Lok that's in there is toast. The gears are fine though so I can keep them if I want them.

But now it's down to the moment of truth -- $1075 for a rebuilt Visco-Lok or $2225 for a Wavetrac. Plus of course if I want to change gear ratios, now is the time to do it.

Decisions, decisions. Any thoughts?

I can't use 6th gear until about 70 MPH and even then I have to downshift to go up a steep hill. 6th gear is way too tall, another reason I'm thinking about switching to 3.55s.
Y'all need some Autobahn.

Y'all need some Autobahn.

Top speed is in 5th gear. Theoretical top speed of 6th gear is over 300 MPH -- it's purely an economy gear. :)

Doing a WaveTrac and 3.07s. :)

I could have also gone with an OS Giken for even more money like my friend did but I only casually autocross (he's way more into it) and that's more money I shouldn't be spending, especially since it'd be overkill for me.

Shame I didn't see this till now. Viper, the Wavetrac is known to be weaker than a Truetrac and it's known to break under stock GT500 power. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1015312-Wavetrac-VS-Truetrac-opinions

The Truetrac is cheaper, too.

Hmm, well that's disappointing. This place recommended them and they do tons and tons of differentials for Vipers, Corvettes, etc. I also have a couple friends with WaveTracs in theirs with no problems.

Seems not everyone has problems with them though: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-or-Truetrac-9-quot-ends-vs-c-clip-eliminator

Hopefully mine works out fine.

you fill up your car every time you arrive somewhere?
or where do you get those numbers?

Last edited: