Ownership Verified: Viper's 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (A 17+ Year Dream Come True!)

If you want to, you can also grab (eventually, obviously, this is not quick) a Bluetooth ODBII plug and do a lot of cool stuff with your car from your iPhone or Android phone.

They're cheaper at Walmart. A basic reader can be had for around $50.

Edit: Here is a commonly available and decently-reviewed unit available at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3030-CanOBD2-Maintenance-Indicator-Car-Reader/13029622

Ignore their "code translation" software and desired upcharge when you get the thing, code translation is cheap and free on the Internet. The important part is to get something like this that can retrieve the raw OBD-II and CANBUS codes.

That'll require waiting for it to be shipped to me. I'd rather pay an extra $20 or whatever to just get one locally.

That'll require waiting for it to be shipped to me. I'd rather pay an extra $20 or whatever to just get one locally.

It's a normally stocked item in many Walmarts. Have you used the function there which lets you check to see which of your local Walmarts has them in stock?

It's a normally stocked item in many Walmarts. Have you used the function there which lets you check to see which of your local Walmarts has them in stock?

Yep, none within 50 miles that have it. Actually, the nearest Walmart is a half-hour away. Not many around here. :)

Yep, none within 50 miles that have it. Actually, the nearest Walmart is a half-hour away. Not many around here. :)

What's your nearest auto parts stores, then? And do you have a nearby Sears with Auto Center?

What's your nearest auto parts stores, then? And do you have a nearby Sears with Auto Center?

There's an Autozone just up the street. They close in an hour. I'll go see if they have anything and if so how much.

Also a Baxter's Auto Parts not far away either. EDIT: Oh, seems that's a local chain.

Last edited:
They're cheaper at Walmart. A basic reader can be had for around $50.

Edit: Here is a commonly available and decently-reviewed unit available at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3030-CanOBD2-Maintenance-Indicator-Car-Reader/13029622

Ignore their "code translation" software and desired upcharge when you get the thing, code translation is cheap and free on the Internet. The important part is to get something like this that can retrieve the raw OBD-II and CANBUS codes.

Amazon has that for the same price with $10 2-day shipping. Not a bad solution.

I think I'll just wait until tomorrow though to see if the issue continues and if so call the dealer. Not much use in me diagnosing the issue with a code reader if I can't do anything about it.

Sorry to hear that you are already having problems.

(Somewhere deep inside I am hoping that you will take away my crown of ridicule in the reliability department. I've had the S70 for nine months now and have had zero mechanical/electric problems. Just saying guys...)

Kidding of course, I hope it's nothing serious and you get the issue resolved quickly.

Just for you in honor of your very first breakdown.

Get the reader. A ten minute job to replace a MAF sensor for instance is much cheaper when you aren't paying $80 to get it installed.

On certain cars, you can read the error codes without a reader, on my 93 Pontiac Formula this was possible.
At the time I used a pair of scissors to connect two pins on the port and by counting the number of times a light flashed on the instrument panel, I got the code.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like that was OBD-I only.
Shame, that was pretty handy.

Last edited:
On certain cars, you can read the error codes without a reader, on my 93 Pontiac Formula this was possible.
At the time I used a pair of scissors to connect two pins on the port and by counting the number of times a light flashed on the instrument panel, I got the code.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like that was OBD-I only.
Shame, that was pretty handy.

Some early OBD-II cars can semaphore out codes like that as well, but nothing recent that I can recall.

I was just looking at your avatar the other day, and thoght, man, when is he going to change it!
And today I see the new blue one! Quick, to the 'Post your car' subforum!

And it's here, woo! Congrats! I didn't read the whole thread, but I guess you're already having some issues, but I hope you'll fix that soon.
The car looks really good, angain congratulations on living the dream, so few people can ;)

Last edited: