Ownership Verified: Viper's 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (A 17+ Year Dream Come True!)

If you're anything like me, even if you'll get them perfect in the end, they will not feel right. They're just a reminder of the ordeal they caused. And there will always be a nagging feeling that the paint will start to chip, or the smallest impact will warp a wheel.

I would (and did) get problem child wheels like that into a sellable condition and get rid of them.

Unfortunately trying to sell these would be a whole headache in itself. This isn't a standard bolt pattern or size -- it really only will fit a Viper.

The paint won't be an issue. That's one of the reasons they're being repainted.

I've already run into a hiccup though. Long story short, the Viper club has gone through a massive shakeup after like half of the regional clubs (including mine) left and formed a new club. This parts website is weirdly related to the club and is supposed to funnel funds back to the club to help keep it running. There was some shady stuff going on behind the scenes and the store's management has been replaced as well as a part of the overhaul in hope to restore confidence in the old club.

So I feel sorry for the new guy that replied to me tonight as he wasn't there when I bought the wheels. It also makes things harder.

We'll see how it goes.

Damn, seems like NOTHING is easy when the Viper is involved!

Congrats dude. It makes me smile knowing you got a Viper. I can remember you wanting one 10+ years ago. :)

Thanks!

And congrats on your first post in 7 years. :lol:

New wheel arrived Tuesday and was dropped off at the wheel shop on Wednesday. All shiny and new. Made me like my shiny wheels for a split second before I remembered how much of a bitch they are to keep clean. No thanks!

He spun the warped wheel up for me and holy cow -- the whole barrel is warped. It's an oval and wobbles a ton. Fucking hell.

Hoping to have the new wheels on the car here before too long! :)

Yesterday was the two year anniversary of me getting my Viper! It's been an awesome 2 years.

I just passed 15,000 miles put on the car under my care too. :)

i am so envisioning michael jackson in a wheelchair now :lol:

18 months after I first had it replaced (under extended warranty), the passenger window regulator has failed again. The $1200 part is notorious for failing and they redesigned it for the 2013 Viper. It's also backwards compatible and only costs $360 (big savings!). My dealer is working with Chrysler to try to get it covered under a part warranty (normal is 12 months).

I also took off my rear wheels to check the inside pads on my parking brake calipers. They are known to drag and wear down. While I had like a quarter inch on the outside, I only had a 3/16" on the inside of my driver's side. Lower, but fine. Checked the passenger side and holy shit, like 1/32" if that. You could barely see the pad. I got really lucky catching it before it ate into my rotor. Phew!

Bonus:

xNBPJ3e.jpg

Last edited:
replacing the pads yourself? :D

Thought about it, and we even got the outside pad out by removing the pin. It was messy and the inner one would have been harder to get out. Plus my garage is barely wider than my car so it was just overall a PITA. I'd rather just spend the $200 I'd save doing it myself and get it over with.

Separate calipers for parking brakes? That's new for me :blink:

And Brembo calipers at that! :lol:

Thought about it, and we even got the outside pad out by removing the pin. It was messy and the inner one would have been harder to get out. Plus my garage is barely wider than my car so it was just overall a PITA. I'd rather just spend the $200 I'd save doing it myself and get it over with.

And Brembo calipers at that! :lol:

Surely replacing a pad at home isn't that hard? I think I'd tackle anything if that's what they'd charge me for such a simple task...

Surely replacing a pad at home isn't that hard? I think I'd tackle anything if that's what they'd charge me for such a simple task...

I had to park the car as close to the wall as I could get it so that there was enough room on the other side for the jack and to get the 13" wide wheel (345mm) off the car. Not too difficult, but it's a pain.

However I think I would have to take the caliper off because it didn't seem easy to be able to get the inner pad out. That's a pain due to how it's mounted. It's also dirty and messy and not fun getting my garage covered in brake dust.

In short yes, I'd rather pay $200 than spend most of a day working on it. My time is worth more than that.