virus?? trojan?? help!!!

Ford Prefect

Car(s)
MINI, E30, GT86
Alright, I?m assuming there are people here who know more than I do about computers (which isn?t particularly hard).

My problem: My computer restarted itself a little while ago for no apparent reason, and there was some antivirus thing for a few seconds before it happened. Now I get a little popup from a red circle with a little X in the bar where it also says the time and all that stuff. The popup says something along the lines of "windows has detected spyware infection, blabla"
If I click on it something starts extracting itself, the fact that it says "pleace wait, extracting" is a bit suspicious, as I usually don?t catch spelling mistakes in programs.

Then there is some program "antivirus pro 2009" (that has apparently been friendly enough to install itself a few minutes ago) that looks a bit (but not entirely) similar to the usual windows security stuff. It scans my system, finds loads of suspicious files, and then tells me it?ll remove them after I register.

Right, I?m really a bit of an idiot when it comes to the more complicated workings of a computer, but that just doesn?t look right...

Any advice would be hugely appreciated...

Last edited:
I had a look at the links, that looks about right, thanks. I also found some similar stuff on google...

ah goddam it, stuff like this is just plain annoying. I?m gonna try and get all my important shit onto an external hd now. And then we?ll see... I really don?t have time to deal with something like this right now...

from what I can tell it's spyware not a Virus.
I had something similar that installs itself on your HD then tells you you have massive viruses and if you want them removed please buy our program for only 99,99$ at www.onlyamoronwouldbelievethisisreal.net

so I'm guessing you don't have a virus...

no clue on how to get rid of it, I just did a reformat to be done with it

Never trust any antispyware/antivirus program you didn't install yourself! That's a fairly common one, those links are probably the best way to get rid of it.

the problem with those links is that they?re also telling me I need to purchase something to get rid of this misterious anti virus program...

I?m also a bit reluctant when it comes to downloading anything right now, after all I already seem to have something on my computer that is pretending to be the solution to all my problems. Or am I being too paranoid?

:wall:

another thing:
I find it very strange that the vast majority of sites that talk about this program and how to remove it, be they in english or german, have unusually high amounts of spelling and grammar errors in the texts... Ah fuck, I want to get rid of this because it?s really pissing me off, but if I actually start following any instructions I?ll probably mess up more than I?ll fix...

www.malwarebytes.org

Download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, do it in Safe Mode for easiest clean.

alright, I decided to give that one a shot, as I?m more willing to trust a link that someone posted here than just about anything that google is currently coming up with...

but what safe mode, I couldn?t find one in the program... or do you mean the windows safe mode thingy...?

I had a former-coworker with the same exact spyware program. I ended up deleting the folder of the offending program (located in Program Files) and used CCleaner to delete the startup process. Then I installed AVG and did a complete system scan.

Hold F8 right after the BIOS to get the option for safe mode. From that screen, choose safe mode with networking in case you need to go online.

yeah, thats what I meant :)

anyway, it appears to be gone now. But we?ll see if it comes back anytime soon. I?m still wondering where the hell it came from in the first place. The only things I downloaded in the last couple of weeks have been Top Gear and a bunch of stuff from the server of my university....

I?ve actually just realised that I have some serious deficits in computer handling... <_<

It is a spyware. I amwilling to bet money that it's a variation of the Vundu virus. Those things are very nasty and you can't remove them using the usual methods (kill processes, fiddle with services.msc etc...)
My suggestion is to get a Spyware removal software. I recommend Spyware Doctor, it's incredibly good, totally worth its money! I have always been suspicious of anti-spyware programs and said that I don't need them, but this program proved me wrong. When I installed it I was running Norton Antivirus and it did not detect any viruses, while it was obvious that something was wrong. Spyware Doctor found and killed them all.

Get the trial version, and scan your computer to see what's wrong with it.

the problem with those links is that they?re also telling me I need to purchase something to get rid of this misterious anti virus program...

I?m also a bit reluctant when it comes to downloading anything right now, after all I already seem to have something on my computer that is pretending to be the solution to all my problems. Or am I being too paranoid?

:wall:

I was referring to the links jensked posted, not the links from the spyware telling you to pay to remove it.

It is a spyware. I amwilling to bet money that it's a variation of the Vundu virus. Those things are very nasty and you can't remove them using the usual methods (kill processes, fiddle with services.msc etc...)
My suggestion is to get a Spyware removal software. I recommend Spyware Doctor, it's incredibly good, totally worth its money! I have always been suspicious of anti-spyware programs and said that I don't need them, but this program proved me wrong. When I installed it I was running Norton Antivirus and it did not detect any viruses, while it was obvious that something was wrong. Spyware Doctor found and killed them all.

Get the trial version, and scan your computer to see what's wrong with it.

Malwarebytes has already solved this problem. I spend a lot of time fixing this kind of problem and Malwarebytes is easily the best software for getting rid of the really nasty ones.

and it?s back :mad:

what the hell, I didn?t use the internet the whole weekend because I was at my parents?... the only thing I?ve done since then is download TG...

it?s different to last time though, my Norman is now complaining about trojans as well...

I was referring to the links jensked posted,

yeah me too...

The virus still has registry entries.
Whenever you connect to the internet, it downloads itself again.

Spyware Doctor is your solution - get the trial.

This sounds very much like a version of the infamous "antivirus" types of malware. in general, they're very, very hard to remove from your system. In general it's easiest to just format and reinstall than it is to try and clean your pc. I found this uninstall instruction on google (i'm always suspicious of other software that claims to remove shit like this, i prefer the manual method) http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/antivirus-pro-2009-removal-instructions-antiviruspro-2009

I also prefer the manual way of removing them, but like I said earlier (although nobody listened...) - the Vundu-variation viruses are really tricky.
If you decide to do it manually:
- you will need a program to delete files at reboot. (most of the virus files are "in use" and can't be stopped or deleted in windows)
- you will need a good understanding of registry editing - if you don't remove ALL of the virus' registry entries, it will come back again.

Oh btw, if you have a home network - it's very likely that all the computers are infected. I had this problem in the summer - 3 computers infected by the "AntiVirus Pro"

Last edited: