Visit to Philadelphia - suggestions on what to see

skr

Car(s)
1992 BMW 525iA, 1999 Ford Focus Estate Ghia 1.8
I'm staying with a friend near Philadelphia at the moment. I've already seen quite a bit of the city and the area now but since these people are not very car or motorsport enthusiastic I wondered if there are any places I have to see or placed that might be interesting to visit or just to drive to (I already noticed some nice and twisty roads in the area). I also plan to drive up to NY next week. Maybe somebody can point out a nice route besides the Interstate.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated:)

Don't get shot. It's not called "Killadelphia" for no reason.

Thanks for the advise, but where I am it's rather safe and I have absolutely no intention to get into the drug dealing business ;)

I'm a loser... i'd find Bams house and go to all the Viva La Bam places. :(

I recommend west Philadelphia. This is were i was born and raised. On the playground is were i spent most of my days...

Thanks for the advise, but where I am it's rather safe and I have absolutely no intention to get into the drug dealing business ;)

I lived in North Philly.... It's more what Blake said, and not so much what you said :lol:

It's not a very Motorsport oriented town, that's for sure, and that's partially why I moved out. As far as cool things to go see, I definitely recommend LOVE park when there are skaters there. Some of them are amazing and it's kinda funny to watch them run when the cops show (them f'ers are FAAAAST). The Italian Bistro on Broad St. south of city hall is a great restaurant, and Naked Chocolate right near there is awesome for candy. Obviously the Art Museum, Olde City, Penn's Landing, and South St. are great too.... If you get the S St. definitely indulge in Jim's Steaks (better than Pat's and Gino's) and Lorenzo's Pizza - best in the city.

Obviously you can tell I liked eating when I was there :cool:.

I would chill out, max relax all cool, and shoot some b-ball outside of the school (in that order).

Sure if you go to North or West Philly you might get shot, but people need to stop with the "if you go to Philadelphia you will indeed be shot" mindset. While our shooting rate is extremely high, go to any other large city and see if the murder rate is that much different. Every city has its places you avoid.

Anywhere in Center City is nice. Especially Old City. I would recommend walking down South Street, its very interesting.

Also, see if you can attend a Phillies game if they're playing at home while you are here. We have one of the nicest ballparks in baseball.

However, avoid our public transportation completely. It is by far the worst in the country.

Other than that, welcome to Philadelphia :)
(Its a nice city. No, I swear.)

Last edited:
Sure if you go to North or West Philly you might get shot, but people need to stop with the "if you go to Philadelphia you will indeed be shot" mindset. While our shooting rate is extremely high, go to any other large city and see if the murder rate is that much different. Every city has its places you avoid.

Anywhere in Center City is nice. Especially Old City. I would recommend walking down South Street, its very interesting.

Also, see if you can attend a Phillies game if they're playing at home while you are here. We have one of the nicest ballparks in baseball.

However, avoid our public transportation completely. It is by far the worst in the country.

Other than that, welcome to Philadelphia :)
(Its a nice city. No, I swear.)

It certainly is, already went downtown on Monday on the R5-Train, found it rather convenient. The Old City is very nice, me likes:)

Rented a rubbish car for today and tomorrow (09' Cobalt with no ABS:blink:) and went to Lancaster County on the backroads, really highly recommendable. Tomorrow I'll be going to Atlantic City. This weekend I'll be in the DC area.
Haven't made any fixed plans for next week yet, but NY is a must. (and Valley Forge)

Have fun in Atlantic City! (Watch out for the ladies though, there's many "business" women on the prowl. :lol:)

Lancaster is good for high speeds and winding roads, that was a good idea.

Sorry for the crappy June weather though.

Also, I applaud this entire forum for not one cheese steak reference in this thread. :)

My aunt lives in Bryn Mawr and there is this great Italian restaurant we always go to, can't recall the name though. Honestly though, your in spitting distance of Chesapeake Bay which is by far the best place to be on the East Coast.

Haha, I knew I'd rile up some natives with that. :p I've been to Philly once though to do the usual touristy thing, Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and all that. So I just ask my roommate who's from there about it.