Visting Croatia in September

Great advice, everyone! I'll make sure to take note of what I can. I'll be renting a car and heading down the coast at some point.

I can show you the grandeur of Zagreb, of course, and I'm in favour of meeting the other members as well. The more, the merrier, as long as there's not too many of us, right? :D

It'd be great if we can find a place to meet, as long as there's coffee to cure my jet lag.

I can borrow my dad's Saxo, or even his Yugo (if you want to see that greatness to complete the experience :LOL:) if there's some driving to be done. Mind you, for sightseeing in Zagreb, I definitely don't recommend driving, walking is the way to go, along with public transport. The parking is expensive and extremely difficult to find, the traffic is appalling (especially if you get stuck in a junction during a red light), and public transportation is cheap and quite efficient.

I vote Yugo. When in Rome... :p The benchmark is Seattle traffic, so it'll be quite the task the beat that. Walking isn't a problem.

Also, which places in Gorski Kotar are you visiting? My grandpa is from there, and it's on my way to the seaside, so I know the roads fairly well, and can recommend you some if you're renting a car.

The Croatian side of my family is from Vrbovsko, so I'll be meeting some distant relatives there. Plus, I need to enjoy the famous frog legs. :p

Last edited:
It'd be great if we can find a place to meet, as long as there's coffee to cure my jet lag.

Do you know at which hotel you'll be staying?

Also, coffee shouldn't be a problem, there are coffee shops everywhere, but mind you, unless you go for McDonald's or some other similar place, all you'll get is a comparatively really small cup of coffee. It does taste better than what you'll get from McDonald's coffee, but if you're looking for something to help you with the jet lag, I might recommend McDonald's. Can't say anything from my experience, as I never travelled farther than Spain, and I've never been on a plain either, but the standard Croatian cup of coffee usually helps me short-term.

I vote Yugo. When in Rome... :p The benchmark is Seattle traffic, so it'll be quite the task the beat that. Walking isn't a problem.

Yugo it is then! :D Also, if you need any tips on how to get from some place to another place by tram or bus, do not hesitate to ask. Mind you that the centre of the city is not accessible by car, so you'd have to either use one of the public garages or street parking, both of which are quite pricey and difficult to find a spot.

The Croatian side of my family is from Vrbovsko, so I'll be meeting some distant relatives there. Plus, I need to enjoy the famous frog legs. :p

Nice, my grandpa's side of family is from a place near Vrbovsko. I might need to visit them soon, but I need to see that with my parents.

I just realized that I'll be arriving at 5pm on the 31st not 5am. So the 1st and 7th are my available weekend days.

Actually, 1st would work like a charm for me. 7th would work as well, but let's see what others have to tell.

I'll be staying at The Canopy while in Zagreb.

That's great, it's near the central rail station and it is within the city centre, so it should be great for sightseeing. If we met on Sunday the 1st of September, which time would work for you?

I'd also like to hear from the other potentially interested local members if Sunday would fit their schedules, so I hope @47 doesn't mind me tagging him. :D

I understand that. Well, it's up to the Slovenians then, I guess. As I said, I'm free on both dates, I do have some plans for Sunday the 1st, but nothing that can't be rearranged. Saturday the 7th I'm free the whole day as the things currently stand, but I'm currently in Karlovac, and I have no other plans in Zagreb for that weekend, so 1st works best for me.

Sorry for double posting again, but @argatoga and I met up and had a fun day! I showed him around the centre of Zagreb, we visited the Ferdinand Budicki car museum (which had a decent, yet IMHO unimpressive display), and most important of all, I had a Philly cheesestake, which was delicious!

@argatoga said we could meet again on the 7th, which is this Saturday, so if any of you local members can make it that day, it'd be even nicer if there's more of us. And here's a crazy idea: if we all came with cars, maybe we could show him some local roads? The Sljeme hill comes to my mind. Or perhaps we could go do some karting, if anyone's up for that. There is even an option for group races, but those would need to be pre-ordered. I'll look into more avaliable options if anyone's interested. Or if anybody had any better idea, do not hesitate to suggest.

Reactions: 47
It's okay if you can't make it, I'm definitely up for a Balkan meet at some point in the future, as long as I don't have any uni-related obligations at the same time. It's only a pity you can't use your birthday discount, especially as I know that the Karting Arena Zagreb gives free rides for birthdays.

Also, in case your birthday is today, happy birthday! :D

It's okay if you can't make it, I'm definitely up for a Balkan meet at some point in the future, as long as I don't have any uni-related obligations at the same time. It's only a pity you can't use your birthday discount, especially as I know that the Karting Arena Zagreb gives free rides for birthdays.

Also, in case your birthday is today, happy birthday! :D
They do, yeah, and a discount for the rest of your crew.

And, yes, it was yesterday, and thank you :D

A bit belated report, but it was a fantastic trip. Although my rental Renault Capture didn't quite capture my heart, the scenery certainly did. And thanks to Apple Maps I saw more of the countryside than I had intended.

A bit of shame you guys were unable to make it, you would have probably enjoyed it when Tram and I ran across the visiting Swedish Bikini team in Zagreb and they let us drive around in their McLarens. :p