Visually Spectacular TG Ep's

static said:
Captain Morgan said:
..the lighting...

I assume now that SLR has xenons.
But man they were blue, was it just a visual effect or do they really glow that blue?

I was referring to the amber lighting in the tunnel. But yeah, during the Autobahn sequence it occasionally looked really blue. In real life, this is often because HIDs change color (to a more blue-purple) when you view them at a different angle. Not even the cars with the fancy auto-leveling Xenons can adjust that quickly to every situation, so you can often notice this on other cars while driving. If you're on a slightly poor quality highway and you're in front of a late-model BMW/Audi/Lexus/etc, you can see this effect very well in your mirrors as the other car appears to be flashing you and changing light colors rapidly. A very distracting thing IMO!

the color you see from the xenon headlights is called "flicker" in HID terms.

i come from a HID community so we've discussed this over and over and over and over again...

the flicker comes from the projectors itself--not the light. the light source is either a Osram or Philips D2S Bulb, rated at 4100 - 4300Kelvins, putting down 3300 Lumens of useable light. The projector unit is blocked halfway by a cut-off shield,
seen here:
headlamp-projector-simple.gif

the blue is created as the light bends around the cut-off shield, the light is distorted and refracted to produce the colors. the color ranges from blue to a deep purple, and even red/yellow in some projector units.

as you can see below, there is absolutely no light escaping above that cut-off line.
DSC09176_small.jpg

and the famous "blue" shots.
50_metres%20(Medium).JPG

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

Captain Morgan said:
Electrastar~Indochine said:
^ 100% agreement. When Jeremy was crossing the long bridge into Sweden, the setting, the car and especially the music was absolutely sublime. I had goosebumps.

Yup, that was for teh win. Don't forget the segment where the SLR was in that tunnel in Sweden. The lighting made the SLR look like it was glowing a copper-lava ungodly hue. Only Top Gear can make a car look so good. Not even official press photos can hold a candle to that.

I also loved the last shot of the Wiesmann screaming toward the camera... during a sunset... when it was snowing. Damn. Just... damn.

Ok silly me, it was shot from sweden... carry on :twisted:

Captain Morgan said:
Don't forget the segment where the SLR was in that tunnel in Sweden. The lighting made the SLR look like it was glowing a copper-lava ungodly hue.

That was a beautiful shot, but slightly off-topic, I have to mention that TG edited together two different tunnels. JC enters a craggly roundish tunnel somewhere around Gothenburg and then they cut to the square and even-sided tunnel that leads up to the ?resunds bridge between Sweden and Denmark even though he had already driven through this. I guess they didn't think we would notice...

...and I wouldn't have except I drove that stretch of road last summer in my 7er and actually filmed the tunnel myself. I was, ehm, exceeding recommended speeds at the time...

:evil: