Vivitar 285HV

damnhawk

Car(s)
06 Datsun Altima
Stobist link

looking to get 3-4 of these little guys to branch out with my work a bit.... Anyone use one before? I have some ebay RF triggers for them and i plan on getting some 8'-13' light stands, adapter brackets and umbrellas along with a few flags, snoots, gels, and grids.

I have a couple. For the price, you couldn't ask for much more. The main issues I've noticed so far are the size (these are huge compared to most other flashes), The lack of resolution when adjusting power (Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16. What happened to 1/8? And there are times when I'd prefer to be able to use less than 1/16), and the lack of a swivel head (not really as much of an issue for off camera work). Oh, and there have been some quality issues with some of the newer flashes, but mine are older so luckily no problems so far.

To be honest I'd recommend starting off small, with just a flash or two, and then seeing where you want to go from there. Much better way to learn. Trying to setup 4 lights all at once would be a lot easier if you've had practice with smaller numbers before. Plus, splurging and just buying everything you mentioned in your original post kind of goes against the strobist mentality. :)

i just priced out those light modifiers....about 200 USD for all that i would want, or really think of a way to use....but thats a bit steep.

Im pretty handy with tools so i will be making my own light modifiers, how hard can it be?

if you use the supplied ND filters you can get your lower power levels that are missing from the flash to start with.

I just got that 300 USD stimuli check thing.....so i have some money to play with.

from using it as a main flash without triggers, it's kind of a pain that they don't swivel, but besides that, you'd have to scour ebay for months before you can get a deal like the 285HV that swivels and has manual controls...

im thinking i will get that sunpack as a nice on camera flash, and a pair of the vivitars as off camera/sports flash (need that zoom head for the 70-200).