VNC won't work with new router

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
I use VNC because I'm a lazy SOB. I used to have a Belkin F5d7230-4 router that was suupplied with my first laptop, served very well, something like 4 years then it died. Now I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and VNC just doesn't want to work. I've tried reinstalling it on laptop and desktop, but it still won't work. I'm so lost

In which direction do you want to use VNC? From the inside (LAN) to the outside (WAN, another computer behind another router) or the other way round?

I want to use the laptop (over wifi) to my desktop(ethernet connection). And thanks Spectre, I shall look into that.

Check to make sure that Wi-Fi and wired aren't segregated, some routers have the option (many times on by default) where the wired network is segregated from Wi-Fi for security reasons.

On my router at least, port forwarding is done on a per-machine basis, so you want to make sure port 5900 (or whatever you are using) is open specifically on the server machine.

I've been using the local IP address 192.168.1.2 for my desktop. And I'm almost certain my router does not do it on a per-machine basis.

I've been using the local IP address 192.168.1.2 for my desktop. And I'm almost certain my router does not do it on a per-machine basis.

If you are using it on the LAN you shouldn't need to open any ports, by default all communication on the LAN side should be open between the devices. I would suggest also taking a look at the Windows Firewall rules just in case, SOMETIMES they could be the culprit.