Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

I read his words as saying that the whole idea of going on a crusade against Volkswagen by accusing them of causing asthma in children is ludicrous and populist. Air pollution exists outside of VW and of its diesel engines, and children would have had asthma even without this fraud.

And in this he is right:
If VW is to be punished, which it is, the reason is not asthma for children, but willingly cheating on a governmental emission regulation and lack of care about the environmental footprint of their products. There is a crime, there are laws, there is punishment; they need to be enforced. The children's asthma attributed to a foreign, minoritarian producer of scarcely sold diesel engine in a country running on wild energy overconsumption is quite disgusting populism.

But you (we, everyone) need the little children to be able to move the public opinion enough to get things done. General talks about environment, energy consumption, pollution and consequences on our world are too far from the lives of a too many people to have any effect whatsoever on lifestyles with a willful inertia to changing; most of the world is like this, it is human. So, children are used. Which doesn't really solve the problem, just exploits it.

Thanks, SirEdward.

It's quite irritating when every attempt to bring the VW fraud into perspective, is interpreted as an attack against the American way of doing things.

How big do I have to choose the size of the letters to make it clear that I am not defending Volkswagen and that I am not criticzing the US system but just trying to be rational and down-to-earth in this sometimes emotionally charged discussion, where the main motivation of some forum members seems to be that they finally found something to mock VW (and the German car industry) about: "Haha, VW is fucked now that they will experience the merciless legal system of the USA!"

Sorry that I am not that superficial :rolleyes: While some of the people in the hearing made an intelligent impression to me and asked some justified questions, some others made the impression that they were drawn right from the stage of X-Factor with their silly remarks and questions. If that is US politics, then I understand why the Americans don't trust their government.

Let me make it clear once and for all: Yes, VW will have to pay for what they did. Dearly. They deserve that. But in 5 years they will have come to terms with everyone and still be as strong as they are now, maybe stronger.

Why, you ask?

Because despite all the flustered state now, it is really not the most important news in our time. And as we all know: The public memory is extremely short-lived.

Last edited:
And as we all know: The public memory is extremely short-lived.

It's so short-lived that all those tests recently reported about other manufacturers not complying with emission standards in the real world either don't appear to have reached anyone :dunno:

Mac,

I don't even know what we are talking about anymore, all I'm saying is that there is clearly a way to both *not* roll coal everywhere you drive and reduce NOx emissions and VW decided to not bother with it.
How big do I have to choose the size of the letters to make it clear that I am not defending Volkswagen and that I am not criticzing the US system
I never took it that way, my only issue was with you claiming that the only way to reduce NOx is to increase particulates.

Last edited:
Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

prizrak said:
never took it that way, my only issue was with you claiming that the only way to reduce NOx is to increase particulates.

I never claimed that. I was just trying to make the technical connection. Obviously there was a misunderstanding here and if I had a part in it, then I am sorry.

Last edited:
Breaking News: Sepp Blatter named new VW boss.

It's so short-lived that all those tests recently reported about other manufacturers not complying with emission standards in the real world either don't appear to have reached anyone :dunno:

Thing is, if the homologation tests replicated real street use, all the cars homologated would give the same results as in those reports, all except the vehicules from one manufacturer....

[video=youtube;Cdif-zK4z14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdif-zK4z14[/video]

Is it documented Hitler trusted in VW? I always thought he preferred Mercedes :p

Thing is, if the homologation tests replicated real street use, all the cars homologated would give the same results as in those reports, all except the vehicules from one manufacturer....

Thing is, loads of manufacturers somehow pass the tests but out-emit the limits in reality... so they're all gaming the system one way or another.

Thing is, loads of manufacturers somehow pass the tests but out-emit the limits in reality... so they're all gaming the system one way or another.

It could be limitation of testing, it's similar with fuel economy, you are not likely to ever get what the sticker says with normal driving because they test very specific type of driving.

There wasn't really a VW when he was in power was there?

At least not many were made, before war broke out and the whole production was set to military vehicles. The real birth of the Beetle was after the war under the British occupation.

At least not many were made, before war broke out and the whole production was set to military vehicles. The real birth of the Beetle was after the war under the British occupation.

That's what I thought, I know that Porsche worked on some tanks and they did build the Kubelwagen.

The others should be punished, just as US semi truck companies and VW have and is being punished.

It could be limitation of testing, it's similar with fuel economy, you are not likely to ever get what the sticker says with normal driving because they test very specific type of driving.

You're talking to someone bettering the NEDC figure for his car by 1% :tease:

In all seriousness, exceeding mpg figures by ten, twenty, or even fifty percent is one thing... Volvo, Jeep, etc. - and VW - exceeding emissions by double-digit factors (four-digit percentages) is another.
The former can be blamed on the test cycle being light on fuel, or the engineers testing making sure everything's perfect for fuel ecomony... but the latter can't be achieved by driving carefully and overinflating tyres or whatever.