Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

Been hiding under a rock for the last month or so? Maybe Bin Laden's former cave hide away? How does one miss news like this? I have friends that don't know the difference between a wrench and a socket asking me about this.

Been hiding under a rock for the last month or so? Maybe Bin Laden's former cave hide away? How does one miss news like this? I have friends that don't know the difference between a wrench and a socket asking me about this.
I think he meant he had no idea what engine code the engine in his VAG has...

I think he meant he had no idea what engine code the engine in his VAG has...

yes, that. also bloody seat using their own engine codes and everything!
anyhooo... since the car is MQB the engine, as narf correctly pointed out, should indeed be an AE288 :dunno:

i should've chosen to quote more context i guess :D

It's all good, I may have missed it meself.

Germany Orders Volkswagen to Recall 2.4 Million Cars

BERLIN ? Germany?s automobile regulator on Thursday ordered Volkswagen to recall 2.4 million vehicles with diesel motors carrying software intended to manipulate emissions test results.

The government rejected the automaker?s proposal to repair the vehicles as insufficient. It is the first government-ordered recall anywhere since Volkswagen admitted the deception last month and said it affected 11 million cars worldwide.

Germany?s transportation minister, Alexander Dobrindt, said on Thursday that the mandatory recall would begin in 2016 and would be overseen by the regulator, the Federal Motor Transport Authority, known by its German initials K.B.A.

?The K.B.A. believes that the software used in the diesel engines constitutes an illegal defeat device,? Mr. Dobrindt said. ?The authority has demanded that Volkswagen remove the software and take all steps necessary to ensure that the emissions regulations are met.?

The regulator expects software providing a fix for the 2-liter engines involved in the recall to be presented by the end of the month, and solutions for 1.2- and 1.6-liter engines to be presented by the end of November, Mr. Dobrindt said.

?We have the impression that Volkswagen is technically capable of carrying out the technically necessary measures,? Mr. Dobrindt said.

The crackdown by the German government deals a blow to the company in one of its most important markets.

Mr. Dobrindt, said on Thursday that Volkswagen must begin a mandatory recall of the 2.4 million affected cars in Germany at the start of 2016.

Volkswagen said that it had received a response from the transport authority early on Thursday, but that it needed time to review it before commenting on it.

The German automaker has been under increasing pressure since admitting last month to American environmental authorities that it had installed a line of code in software in its diesel engines intended to manipulate the results of emissions testing.

The transport authority said it had rejected a Volkswagen proposal last week to remedy the problem, insisting instead that affected vehicles be recalled.

In its proposal, Volkswagen had offered to update software on vehicles with 1.2- and 2-liter diesel engines starting next year to override the code that American environmental authorities discovered limited the amount of noxious gasses emitted during lab testing, but not during normal driving.

According to the proposal, a software fix would not be enough to resolve the problems on vehicles with 1.6-liter engines, which would require additional hardware adjustments.

This week, Volkswagen said that it would develop electric vehicles, an offering the company has been slow to adopt, despite a pledge by the German government to get one million electric cars on the road by 2020.

Barbara Hendricks, the German minister for the environment, said the government should consider scrapping a tax break for diesel engines, shifting it instead to electric vehicles to encourage more environmentally friendly technology.

Volkswagen?s newly appointed chief executive, Matthias M?ller, is scheduled to meet with the company?s top executives on Thursday. It will be Mr. M?ller?s first such meeting since taking over from his predecessor, Martin Winterkorn, who stepped down last month, taking responsibility for the scandal.

On Oct. 12, Volkswagen said it would recall 1,950 diesel vehicles in China. But while China is a big automotive market for the company, it has sold very few diesels there. And there was no public indication that Beijing had ordered the recall.

ib4 VW eventually admits they've fettled with all diesel engines since 2009. Queue epic drama and astronomical loss of money.

Why not convert all diesel to work with natural gas?

Range, power, cost, reliability; the usual.

Winterkorn to Resign as CEO of Porsche Holding Company Amid Volkswagen Probe

Move comes less than a month after resignation as chief of Volkswagen

BERLIN? Volkswagen AG ?s former chief executive, Martin Winterkorn, is stepping down as head of Porsche Automobil Holding SE, the holding company owned by the Porsche and Piech families that control a majority of the German auto group?s voting stock said Saturday.

The move comes less than a month after Mr. Winterkorn quit as CEO of Volkswagen, after the company admitted it manipulated emissions tests of some diesel-powered cars and light trucks in the U.S. and Europe. The company is under investigation on suspicion of fraud on both sides of the Atlantic and is preparing to launch a massive recall of up to 11 million vehicles.

The holding company, belonging to the Porsche and Pietch families, owns around 52% of Volkswagen?s voting stock and is the car maker?s largest shareholder. Porsche SE has no direct management control over Volkswagen.

Hans Dieter P?tsch, Porsche SE?s finance chief and the chairman of Volkswagen?s supervisory board, will succeed Mr. Winterkorn as CEO on Nov. 1.

Volkswagen?s admission of cheating on emissions tests has put the company under intense pressure and triggered wider questions about the auto industry, which is central to Germany?s economy.

German Environment Minister Barbara Hendricks has called for tougher testing and regulations to ensure that diesel vehicles run clean.

Volkswagen last week suspended a fourth senior engineer, a person familiar with the situation said on Thursday, as the company?s new chief executive, Matthias M?ller, called for a more decentralized business organization.

Porsche Automobil Holding was created in 2007 when car maker Porsche AG bought Volkswagen shares in a bid to take over the larger car maker. A bitter battle ensued between cousins Wolfgang Porsche and former Volkswagen Chairman Ferdinand Piech, the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche who invented the original Volkswagen, for control. In the end, Volkswagen acquired Porsche and by 2012 Porsche SE became Volkswagen?s anchor shareholder.

In the wake of the takeover battle, the Porsche family traded their shares in the sports car maker for a 31.5% stake in Volkswagen, representing 50.7% of VW?s voting rights. The Porsche family created Porsche Automobil Holding SE, which manages the VW stake and the holding?s cash stockpile.

Last month, Porsche SE bought a further 1.5% of Volkswagen from Suzuki Motor Corp.

Suzuki owns VW?

Lots of major automakers own stock in competitors. I don't think that Suzuki owns a large percentage, but there should be info on that available.

Suzuki owns VW?

Lots of major automakers own stock in competitors. I don't think that Suzuki owns a large percentage, but there should be info on that available.
Suzuki and VW decided to do a Joint Venture that imploded pretty much as soon as it was started.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/09/suzuki-divorces-volkswagen-sells-stake-to-porsche/

Blame different corporate cultures: http://www.autonews.com/article/20150803/OEM/308039944/how-the-vw-suzuki-alliance-went-wrong

Last edited:
I got through 16 pages of this thread.
The amount of idiotic ideas Spectre spews out is even higher than the NOx VW got caught with. I stopped when he insinuated that they may also be cheating on safety. For my own sake I stopped reading, I just can't handle stupidity.

VW messed up big time, being an engineer in a world wide corporation I could digest the idea that some rogue engineers did this. I've seen it happen and they get away with it. Managers don't approve of this, but when they find out the focus is on cleaning up the mess. Somehow the individual has been spared in what I have witnessed.

The fact is that VW will fix the cars, settle the lawsuits, take a hit, but be pretty much unscathed. Contrary to what Spectre lets you believe they are capable of engineering a solution. Their non 1.6 and 2.0 diesels don't cheat.

The fact is that VW will fix the cars, settle the lawsuits, take a hit, but be pretty much unscathed. Contrary to what Spectre lets you believe they are capable of engineering a solution. Their non 1.6 and 2.0 diesels don't cheat.

Those other engines have urea injection do they not? It'll cost a lot to retrofit a car with it (if it is possible). I'm guessing VW will provide a fix, however it will hurt the power and fuel economy. They'll then weather the lawsuits and pull Diesels from the US market. I don't see them being unscathed, expect a couple premium brands like Bentley, Lamborghini, and Ducati being sold off. VW however won't go under and will continue to be a big player in the industry.

I read in other sources that the solution depends on the application. Some cars will need software updates (I'm guessing the 2.0s with urea tanks that still don't meet emissions), others will require hardware updates (the hints from VW are urea tanks), and some others both hardware and software.

VW is big enough to handle it without selling off brands I think. Anyways, anything other than VW or government word is speculation. The reaction from the court system directly depends on the effect over performance. If the retrofit is minimally noticeable then the settlements will also be smalll.

I read in other sources that the solution depends on the application. Some cars will need software updates (I'm guessing the 2.0s with urea tanks that still don't meet emissions), others will require hardware updates (the hints from VW are urea tanks), and some others both hardware and software.

VW is big enough to handle it without selling off brands I think. Anyways, anything other than VW or government word is speculation. The reaction from the court system directly depends on the effect over performance. If the retrofit is minimally noticeable then the settlements will also be smalll.

Even if one mile per gallon is lost they can be sued massively by buyers. Fixing the NOx output means running the engine richer, I don't see how you can keep the fuel economy doing that. Fitting a urea injection system onto a car is not a simple slap on. It requires the replacement of non significant parts.

When VW was caught in 2014 they did develop several software updates, none of them worked. This isn't a firmware fix.

I'm just transcribing what other sources cited as official VW information. No one said the fix would be easy.
The cars also have some wiggle room in regards to economy since they were consistently beating the EPA estimates.

Not much of a case if the car meets the window sticker I guess.

Last edited:
I'm just transcribing what other sources cited as official VW information. No one said the fix would be easy.
The cars also have some wiggle room in regards to economy since they were consistently beating the EPA estimates.

Not much of a case if the car meets the window sticker I guess.

The problem is the car will need to be recertified on the EPA standards.