Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

Relevance?

It shows that there's still plenty of people who don't give a shit. GM and Toyota experienced similar sales rebounds after their scandals.

It's because people still know, what a good car is and have the ability to carry on after such an incident, that doesn't effect the other qualitys of the car at all :cool:.

I think it was just to show that contrary to what one might expect/what it looks like, it still goes uphill for VW.

It shows that there's still plenty of people who don't give a shit. GM and Toyota experienced similar sales rebounds after their scandals.
Fair enough, I just found it odd given we'd since moved past the "VW will fall" portion o the discussion.

It's because people still know, what a good car is and have the ability to carry on after such an incident, that doesn't effect the other qualitys of the car at all :cool:.
Maybe, maybe not. Perception !=reality, especially in the case of an admitted VW fanboy such as yourself.

Maybe it's more that buyers don't really give a shit. Sure, some want to act righteous about VW's, acting as though they care. They don't really. The engine could be liquefying polar bears and acting as a small fracking platform everywhere it stops....but if the price is right, the plastics don't rattle and the dealer gives you a nice loaner when you take it for a service...

Maybe it's more that buyers don't really give a shit. Sure, some want to act righteous about VW's, acting as though they care. They don't really. The engine could be liquefying polar bears and acting as a small fracking platform everywhere it stops....but if the price is right, the plastics don't rattle and the dealer gives you a nice loaner when you take it for a service...
:nod:

This is pretty much what I was eluding to.

The current diesels aren't as cheaty anyway. It's more about "does the car buying public hold a grudge about this?" - apparently not a lot.

Easy: It is not enough of an inconvenience to (most of) the people that have the affected cars, and none at all to anyone who more recently got one or is about to buy one, to give a real shit. If VW couldn't sell their current cars in markets like all of Europe i.e., shit might be different, but as it is, right now, not enough #care out there.

A decade or 2 ago Renault closed a plant over here, que anger and people driving around with a 'this is my last Renault' stickers on their plastic monstrosity, I don't think the sales figures ever really dipped except maybee the first year, then bounced back, still Renaults a plenty over here....
2 years ago Ford and Opel did the same.....guess how much difference that made to sales?

People get angry, cry hell and bloody murder, then buy what they always bought like the happy clueless little sheeple they are...

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. Perception !=reality, especially in the case of an admitted VW fanboy such as yourself.

Haha, you got me :p :D

As i wrote in my text ... As long as the quality of other parts stays the same, most of the people are able to carry on ;). Also, as for germany: the fix seems to be going well, so why would you do carry on complaining ;) ?

I think we as humans somehow getting used to the fact, that we are getting deceived by companies ...

I think we as humans somehow getting used to the fact, that we are getting deceived by companies ...

That is a rather dangerous prospect.

The problem for VW is that they will be using their current car platforms well past 2020 as a consequence of their new found debt. This will put them at a disadvantage as their competitors move past them.

The problem for VW is that they will be using their current car platforms well past 2020 as a consequence of their new found debt. This will put them at a disadvantage as their competitors move past them.

This is true. MQB may be brilliant now but can it last that long from a competitive perspective.

Toyota has been able to milk legacy platforms like this because they're Toyota. VW doesn't have that legacy.

They'll still be ahead of FCA. :)

Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

They'll still be ahead of FCA. :)

I believe the Pacifica's platform is the first all new platform from FCA. It was in the cards for Chrysler to get a proper crossover from it but who knows if that'll happen now.

But yeah, VW is still ahead of them. For now.

The new debt has forced them to shift gears and that may not only help them in the short term, but long into the future. The end of the diesel has been coming for some time. VW shifting resources towards EVs and hybrids and away from diesels has made them look "clean" again. Before they were forced into this, they were only doing the alt energy vehicles to make California happy, or as a technology showcase(918).

I believe the Pacifica's platform is the first all new platform from FCA. It was in the cards for Chrysler to get a proper crossover from it but who knows if that'll happen now.

But yeah, VW is still ahead of them. For now.

You forgot the Giorgio platform for FCA's RWD and AWD models that made its debut in the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

You forgot the Giorgio platform for FCA's RWD and AWD models that made its debut in the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

indeed I did!

The new debt has forced them to shift gears and that may not only help them in the short term, but long into the future. The end of the diesel has been coming for some time. VW shifting resources towards EVs and hybrids and away from diesels has made them look "clean" again. Before they were forced into this, they were only doing the alt energy vehicles to make California happy, or as a technology showcase(918).

It could help them, like how the Firestone-Explorer fiasco that devastated Ford forced them to restructure well before the Great Recession hit.

With the current chassis there could be problems. Battery placement can be an issue, their current platform isn't designed for them like a Tesla S/X/3 or a Chevy Volt; not to mention concerns with new lighter and cheaper materials, better construction methods, etc. I think VW would be better off selling a non essential brand or two (like Bentley or Ducati) and using the profit to develop a new flagship platform.

I'd drive a mustache Skoda.

It could help them, like how the Firestone-Explorer fiasco that devastated Ford forced them to restructure well before the Great Recession hit.

With the current chassis there could be problems. Battery placement can be an issue, their current platform isn't designed for them like a Tesla S/X/3 or a Chevy Volt; not to mention concerns with new lighter and cheaper materials, better construction methods, etc. I think VW would be better off selling a non essential brand or two (like Bentley or Ducati) and using the profit to develop a new flagship platform.

I don't think they need to develop a new flagship platform. The last time they tried that, we got the Phaeton Phlop.

What they need to do is design a new "everything" mainstream chassis to leverage development dollars as far as they can, much like how most of Infiniti's car, CUV and SUV lineup is based off the FM chassis that was developed for the Z33, or how most of Nissan's trucks/SUVs as well as most of Infiniti's big SUVs are built off various sizes of the F-Alpha platform. Unfortunately, I am dubious of VW's ability to start from a clean sheet of paper and seriously do the questioning of even basic corporate precepts that sort of thing takes in the modern era.

And I agree, VW needs to divest themselves of a lot of their recent brand acquisitions to refocus on their core business. As GM proved, you can only play the "we're reskinning and repurposing the same regurgitated crap/mediocre at best platform endlessly" game for so long before people start figuring out what you're doing and leave. Unless they contribute to core requirements, Lambo, Ducati, Bentley - they all need to go. While they're at it, someone take the Piech hallucination of "our top car should wear an actual VW badge" out and shoot it.

- - - Updated - - -

And before someone trots out the "But you Americans just want to harm a major player in your market" idiocy again, here's another quick reminder of how relevant VW and the VAG brands *aren't* in the US, due to VAG's own past decisions (not just Dieselghazi):
USA%2Bauto%2Bbrand%2Bmarket%2Bshare%2Bchart%2B2016%2Bcalendar%2Byear.jpg

And to be fair to the guys to our north still chipping ice out of their underwear, here's the Canadian percentages:
Canada%2Bautomaker%2Bmarket%2Bshare%2Bchart%2B2016%2Byear%2Bend.jpg

Last edited: