Voltswagen (sic)

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
Oh dear. That's... Subobtimal.

There is an outcome here where GM badge engineers some Voltswagen eGolf estates as Volt Wagons....

283AD345-2C3B-4946-9377-1482A60300C4.jpeg

Time to unpimp ze auto? ?‍♂️

e55607c4672947654a7cb42da094c417.gif

This is both the cringey-ist and most funny ad series I have seen from them.

It’s super memorable because of it - and actually positively impacts my view of VW in the US: they were bold enough to greenlight this insanity.

Also a certain group of friends will still quote this without hesitation when prompted (what time is it? - time to unpimp ze auto!), even though this was never even on tv here!

When your marketing team is one middle-aged dad quietly chuckling to himself while wearing black socks and crocs.

My tinfoil hat is that they did it to gauge perception and have an easy escape route in case it was wildly unpopular.

Basically, "It's just a Prank, bro."

It sure feels like it.

When your marketing team is one middle-aged dad quietly chuckling to himself while wearing black socks and crocs.
if it was a German, make that white socks and “adventure sandals” ?

It sure feels like it.
Doesn’t seem like a Professional move for a marketing department as big as VWs.

Ah, I think the new fashion for April Fools is getting it in before April. Hmm

Cheapest advertising a company can get.

It's less "passionate about your herritage" and more "what a bunch of maroons."

To me it sounds like an obvious April fools joke that leaked out early. The reason why some media outlets and commentators are salty about it (example) is likely that they took the bait, got fooled, and are too embarrassed to admit it.

It's JUUUST dumb enough that the American (read: MBA-graduated) wing of the company may well have been doing it for real.