Volvo Preparing All-New S60 for Belgian Touring Car Series

Xeonidas

We know what you're thinking, "Volvo? Racing? Must be April Fools." Quite the contrary, the company will enter the S60 in the Belgian Touring Car Series.

Developed in record time, the S60 features a racing body kit (dubbed Silhouette S1), a tubular frame chassis, a revised suspension (with independent 3-way adjustable shock absorbers), and high performance brakes.

Power is provided by a mid-mounted 3.5-liter V6 engine with 410 hp (306 kW / 416 PS) and 412 Nm (304 lb-ft) of torque. It motivates the rear wheels through a six-speed sequential transmission.

According to Bart Crols, Managing Director of Volvo Cars Belgium, "The all-new Volvo S60 sports sedan is Volvo's most exciting driving experience so far and there is no better way to show this than by bringing it to the race track. Volvo and the all-new S60 have a special place in the people's hearts here as several Volvo models, including the new S60, are built in Belgium at the Volvo Cars Ghent plant."
8762096.jpg

7368987.jpg

4637765.jpg

5486544.jpg

Now they need to change to this class in stcc too!

So this car has no more in common with a civilian S60 than a NASCAR "Ford Fusion" has with a real Ford Fusion, right?

we have a touring car chamionship????

we have a touring car chamionship????

:lol:You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bone again.

Also, need more classic livery.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/02/191988345-btcc-rickard-rydell-1996-brands-hatch-volvo-850.jpg

Also, needs touring version - in 'Securicor Omega Express' livery. (so I'm posting this picture for the thousandth time on FG).
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/02/volvo_850_btcc.jpg

Edit: Just noticed that Volvo really likes to get up on 2 wheels.

Last edited:
^ british touring car championship :|

i only know belcar

and that is booooooring!!

stupid corvettes taking first place all the time :mad:

Last edited:
Oh, hell yeah!!!

I'm an eat your own dog food kind of guy. This isn't a Volvo, it's a purpose built race car with stickers on it.

fusion_xl.jpg

It does look cool, but I prefer a touring car that actually looks like it might be based on a road car.

I'm an eat your own dog food kind of guy. This isn't a Volvo, it's a purpose built race car with stickers on it.

fusion_xl.jpg

That thing doesnt even have headlamps, I think the DTM cars are a better example.
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/04/03/015.jpg

Touring car regulations as a rule states that you must start with a production body shell of the model you're representing, after that it's mostly free for all (within the limitations of the actual class of course).

Last edited:
Well it does have a Volvo engine, doesn't it?

Well, nevermind then.

I still think it looks great. It will be a good marketing tool at least..

o wot u mean like all the cars in:

FIA/ACO GT1
FIA/ACO GT2
FIA GT3
FIA G2
ALMS/ACO GTS
ALMS/ACO GT
Speed GT World Challenge
Grand Am Rolex GT
DTM
JGTC Super GT500
JGTC Super GT300
V8 Supercars
Fujitsu Supercars
VLN (various classes)
Porsche Supercup
GT3 Cup
Carrera Cup
Any racing series with Porsche GT3 Cups in it (which are nearly as common as dihydrogen monoxide)
WRC
WTCC
Megane Trophy

Need I go on?

Silhouette racers are cool. Kay?

Last edited:
The cars don't need to be exact copies of road cars. Many of those you listed share bodies and/or engines with road going cars.

We know what you're thinking, "Volvo? Racing? Must be April Fools." Quite the contrary, the company will enter the S60 in the Belgian Touring Car Series.

There's a Belgian Touring Car Series?

The cars don't need to be exact copies of road cars. Many of those you listed share bodies and/or engines with road going cars.

Yeeees... that's the point of a silhouette racer - it looks like the production car. That's not some subjective definition, either - accurate body panel dimensions (even the same production body panel parts in the case of V8 Supercars) with provisions for aero bits and track width is a theme in every GT and touring car constructor series.

In none of those series do the cars share engines with production cars. Fool yourself all you want, but any constructor GT racing engine will have little to do with the production engine. Sharing the block is about as relevant as which mine the ore came from.

The car is made by Volvo, which is a lot more than can be said of a lot of GT cars (the "Mazda" RX-8 and the "Chevrolet" Camaro in Rolex GT are made by Riley, for example).

People on the internet will find anything to complain about. Besides, your original argument was not "it doesn't share components with the S60 production car", it was "it isn't a Volvo" (which it actually is).

Last edited:
Yeeees... that's the point of a silhouette racer - it looks like the production car. That's not some subjective definition, either - accurate body panel dimensions (even the same production body panel parts in the case of V8 Supercars) with provisions for aero bits and track width is a theme in every GT and touring car constructor series.

In none of those series do the cars share engines with production cars. Fool yourself all you want, but any constructor GT racing engine will have little to do with the production engine. Sharing the block is about as relevant as which mine the ore came from.

The car is made by Volvo, which is a lot more than can be said of a lot of GT cars (the "Mazda" RX-8 and the "Chevrolet" Camaro in Rolex GT are made by Riley, for example).

People on the internet will find anything to complain about. Besides, your original argument was not "it doesn't share components with the S60 production car", it was "it isn't a Volvo" (which it actually is).

Who cares if it is made by Volvo, it is still radically different than the FWD/Haldex S60. The C6R has more in common with a Z06 than this has with anything. I highly doubt the racing RX-8 is 100% different than the road going counterpart. And there is an ALMS class for stock cars (see 911 GT3RS and 430CS). Then there is the BTCC.