Volvo problems

sjwort

So my 1993 240 doesn't like to start/idle nicely when it is warm. Cold starts are not a problem. Even after a rough warm start, things smooth out after a minute or so. Additionally, if one were to believe the temp gauge, the engine doesn't come up to temperature. I believe this is a sensor rather than a thermostat problem, because after a minute or so the heater will blow scalding hot air. If anyone may be able to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Sounds like it could be the Coolant Temperature Sensor. If it's the same as the 850s then it's right next to the thermostat.

The rough idle could be caused by it, but it could also be something else. Could be the MAF - unplug it and see if it runs any better.

IIRC, unplugging the MAF on a 240 will just kill the engine.

The temp gauge sensor and CTS are two different sensors on that car. You might want to remove and test both of them, but it's possible that they're reading correctly and there's some sort of flow blockage keeping hot coolant from circulating. I forget, is the 240's heater valve on the hot or cold side of the heater core?

Last edited:
When had you have the catalytic converter checked the last time. Rough idle was how problems started with one of my cars. It would get progressively worse until my car could only rough-idle. As soon as I stepped on the loud pedal, it died. Turned out the cat was progressively clogging up to the point that the car suffocated itself on exhaust gasses whenever I wanted more than idle revs.