Concept: Volvo Universe Concept

They must have carved this one in clay and left the drapes open, that is the only thing I can think of to explain why the back melted.

it's gotta be a response to the A7. i see so much of that car in here.

reminds me of...

n13750695_35142644_3122.jpg

Couldn't find the star fox one of that.

I like the rear and rear 3/4 shots but the front is no good. That grill actually looks ok up close on an angle but looks bad any other way

Still doesn't look anything like the preview shots we got of the next generation S80 at all. That car looked good from every angle.

car to provide something special for the buds?

Can't all images were under quarantine and we weren't allowed to take pictures or keep any of them. It just looked good and was the size the car should be. Volvo should set up the S80 to compete with the 7 series for size but at half the price. The car looked like 80 grand even though the price point is supposed to be close to the current S80 so 40,000 to 50,000 USD.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/27/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

It seems everyone and their cousin wants a slice of the big pie. Mercedes-Benz has the S-Class, BMW the 7 Series, Audi the A8 and Lexus the LS. Then there's less conventional choices like the Jaguar XJ, Maserati Quattroporte, Hyundai Equus and Volkswagen Phaeton. Even Cadillac's been toying with getting in on the action. But after months ? if not years ? of hemming and hawing, the latest report suggests we not count on a challenger from Volvo any time soon.

The Swedish automaker had been entertaining the notion of jumping into the stratosphere with its own S-Class challenger, but despite the above-pictured Universe concept car unveiled in Shanghai just days ago, the latest reports indicate that Volvo is not, in fact, preparing for an assault on that particular territory.

Word reportedly comes right from the proverbial horse's mouth: that of Volvo CEO Stefan Jacoby, whose revelation disappoints the dreams of Li Shufu, the chairman of Chinese automaker Geely that purchased Volvo last year for $1.8 billion. Jacoby says the company needs to focus on its current lineup while laying the cornerstones for new assembly plants in China. What the point of the Universe show car was, then, remains as much a mystery to us as its bulbous front end.

Dodged a bullet on that one. The ink is barely dry on the sale of Volvo and already the Chinese are meddling. If you have a Ford-years Volvo, hold on to it. I don't think Volvo will be the same again.

"Modern cars ... they all look like electric shavers."

I'm glad to hear that it's not going anywhere. I'm also glad to hear that they retain some degree of autonomy from Geely. It may just have been a concept, but whoever let that see the light of day should be fired.

It's got a bit of a 3d effect going on with that trippy grill and headlights.

It doesn't look anything like a Volvo, at all.

And I do not like the Interior, looks uncomfortable.

But I think I know what it is, it's an Jaguar XJ crashed into a RR Phantom, with a Wayne-Rover Rangerooney grill and an interior built by Luigi Colani on LDS.

It's wulgar!

Last edited:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/27/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

Dodged a bullet on that one. The ink is barely dry on the sale of Volvo and already the Chinese are meddling. If you have a Ford-years Volvo, hold on to it. I don't think Volvo will be the same again.
Ah the monkeys at Autoblog at it again, but this time it's Automotive News fault. The Volvo Universe is on the table. A competitor to the S-Class is not. The S-Class is 5,1-5,3 meters. The Universe under 5 meters.

Ok, so where do you get your automotive news? The hacks over at Jalopnik?

Ok, so where do you get your automotive news? The hacks over at Jalopnik?
Auto Motor & Sport :)

English news have not yet picked up automotive news error in citation.

Last edited:
It has BangleButt in the front?

Or a 72 Toyota Crown?

Overall I like the car, but that hoodline does not work for me.

It's probably designed by the Geely designers instead of the Volvo team.

Guys, the front design is a nod to the old PV544
1962-Volvo-PV544-red-ma.jpg

And the shape of the lights is borrowed from the 144/145.

See, Volvo are trying to do the retro thing just like all the American companies. Somebody forgot to tell them though, that their cars in the past were ugly! (the P1800 being the obvious exception)

no no no volvo....it has to be a mistake...
This car looks like 80's retro..shudder...well everything from the front wheels back looks good.
It is just that front...