Vote for the new F1 qualifying format! (official vote by F1)

I want to vote for the first proposal - but I won't - why do they insist on this stupid 'adding the drivers best times together' nonsense. So change that bit and I'll happily vote for proposal one, but until then... :thumbsdown:

as for the second proposal - wtf???

I voted for the first one cos i'm sick of the current format. Its too complicated and they should just stick to the original way of doing things.

The 2nd proposal is like a knock-out comp. Didn't they used to do it, a session and whoever was fastest is poll etc... and however much fuel you had from qualifing is what you started with in the race?

Leppy said:
The 2nd proposal is like a knock-out comp. Didn't they used to do it, a session and whoever was fastest is poll etc... and however much fuel you had from qualifing is what you started with in the race?

that's how it works now (and last year), cars go out in qualifying in full race trim - i.e fuel loaded to start the race. fastest car gets pole, cars go into parc ferme after qualifying.

the change we had at the start of this year (now gone thankfully) saw the cars do one qualy session in full qualy spec (low fuel), and then do a second session in full race trim, with the two times added together (god knows why)

I want to select option 5 - Jam both options 1 and 2 up Mosley's arse along with the current system and go back to a simple one hour session, drivers get 12 laps (hell, make it a free for all) in full qualy spec, fastest lap gets pole - now is too hard to understand Maxxie boy???

LOL. I'm with you on this one, fbc. The old one hour session format is the best in my opinion. For "increases in costs", they won't bring it back. They shouldn't really be caring about costs in the premier racing series of the world. If you can't afford it, you obviously aren't competitive in F1. The slow cars only take away from the action of the faster cars.

the 'increase in costs' excuse is just a joke - it's just bastardised by mosley to bring in the changes he wants. e.g. the two-race rule for engines this year, allegedly to cut costs. what happens? engine manufacturers have to spend more money than they would if they rules went unchanged to develop longer-life engines.

I think the reason they changed to the one-lap qualifying was to give lower teams more tv coverage. stupid really - you know the minardis and jordans are going out first in qualifying, so why even bother turning the tv on for the first 10 mins of the session? end result - *less* airtime for the lower teams. chalk up another success for the moslinator

I really really miss the old one hour session - watching the final five minutes was just magic. Which reminds me of another point mosley (I think) used to justify the qualifying change - in the old session everyone would just sit in the pits for the first 30mins, thus 'robbing' the spectators of F1 track time. Well gee Max, those two-race engine rules have really given us more F1 track time haven't they :wall:

I've thought about the same thing regarding the engines. I also think the new tyre regulation is a joke. They are sacrificing safety, traditional pit strategy, etc. in the name of "cost cutting." If accidents, Michelin car walk off, retirements aren't enough to make them change back to the old ways, then what is?

I really think this is all just a conspiracy to topple Ferrari off the top. They really did succeed, didn't they?

I don't believe it was aimed at Ferrari specifically, it was intended to cut costs (yeah right...) and liven up the show somewhat (so Ferrari's dominance did spark it). All the teams faced the same challenges in the rule changes, just Ferrari have not done it as well as the others. But that's what happens in F1 - it's cyclical, one team will dominate for a few seasons, then someone else does etc etc.

who was smoking what when they though of proposal 2.

And what about the engine rules and all tha crap with proposal 2, your gonna loose precious race laps on qualifying. you will end up with people conserving engines in qualifying.

I voted for proposal 1

It was announced semi-officially that #2 will be passed.
I bet you that they will not like it and switch to another format mid-way through the season . . . AGAIN!

Re: Huh?

Re: Huh?

knife23593 said:
Why in the world would you say that?!

Wtf? Stop spamming Knife23593... :x

Back on topic:

I think I can see the sense in adding the two qualifying times from each session. It kinda stops racers going out in first session and doing more testing and warming up etc, and not really going for it - it means they really have to go for it in both sessions. Of course, they can do as many laps as they want, so they can still spend a few laps ambling around warming up, testing setups, etc, but if you don't add the times and just say everyone has to go out in both sessions, we'll get the same problem as before: everyone will do one slow lap in first session then wait till the last 5 minutes of the second session to put in a time...

:)oops: sorry, just realised that voting is closed and this thread died in August - that spammer bumped it up big time. (I wasn't on the 'net in July/August, so didn't read it then...) Oh well...)