Vote rig: Guardian best TV show of the noughties

I would've done it overnight if my computer wasn't so loud <_< but I guess we'll just have to wait until the next poll comes up and rig it.

I dunno, I left the voting with Top Gear on over 60%.. just gone downhill since.

To quote Jeremy:

WE'VE FAILED!!!

Fans of The Wire must've snuck on at the last minute. I read it was at 1% yesterday.

So, was it published in newspaper or not? Anyone cared to buy it?

So, was it published in newspaper or not? Anyone cared to buy it?

buy the guardian... i'd much rather down a pint of razor blades and be married to Amy Winehouse than read that *cough* newspaper *cough*

A follow up blog has been posted: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/aug/07/tv-show-noughties-poll

We ran a poll last week asking people to vote for the best TV show of the decade, 2000-09, from a list of 40 programmes, drawn from those most mentioned by posters in an earlier blog.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. The poll kickstarted a wide-ranging debate in the comments about the merits or otherwise of the shows on the list - and quite a few that were missing.

And the result: a really impressively huge amount of multiple voting.

Between the poll launching at about 4pm on Thursday 30 July and closing yesterday, it attracted just under 100,000 unique users, so in theory there should have been a similar number of votes cast.

As you can see from the final poll, there were slightly more than 100,000 votes cast ? in total 2,316,575, by my calculation.

Two shows, The Wire and Top Gear, accounted for nearly 90% of the votes. The Wire (1,035,509/44.7%) finished ahead of Top Gear (1,001,096/43.3%) thanks to a late burst of sustained multiple voting between Tuesday and the poll closing at 2pm yesterday.

This after Top Gear had established a seemingly unassailable lead over the weekend with its own burst of multiple voting ? by Monday the show had nearly 60% of the votes cast, with around 350,000.

QI (198,400/8.6%) ended up a distant third and the only other show to get more than 0.2% of the vote was The West Wing (33,860/1.5%).

Someone here who is infinitely more web savvy than me has been looking at the traffic logs for the poll, so far going back to last Saturday, 1 August ? and over that period it looks like nearly 2 million votes came from just five computers, mostly for The Wire and Top Gear.

We have identified multiple voting from at least 35 individual computer IP addresses ? although in some cases this could be for a whole organisation working behind a proxy. The largest multiple vote from a single IP address that's shown up is 705,537, the smallest we've logged so far 37.

Aside from evidence of massive multiple voting for The Wire and Top Gear, nearly 30,000 votes came from a single IP address for The West Wing, and to a much lesser degree there appears to have been multiple voting for Doctor Who, Peep Show, Dexter, The Sopranos, Buffy and Battlestar Galactica.

The 700,000 voter was the key to The Wire winning, hats off to however it was.

We have identified multiple voting from at least 35 individual computer IP addresses ? although in some cases this could be for a whole organisation working behind a proxy. The largest multiple vote from a single IP address that's shown up is 705,537, the smallest we've logged so far 37.

Wow.

and over that period it looks like nearly 2 million votes came from just five computers

:whistle:

what i find interesting is the attitude difference. so a few Tg fans and wire fans(amongst other shows) cheated. so they should both be treated the same right ? wrong according to the twonks on there.

no apparently because their cheating won they are more "intelligent" and "better". while they still bantered on about how bad TG is and this site organised the cheating, even though most of us have said we didnt do the mass voting.

a sad load of idiots.