VW Jetta?

Seasonone

Car(s)
RB25 "silvia"
So I am in a position to get a Jetta for cheap ("a couple hundred" thanks to loans not being paid), I am not sure the year or model (just now finding out about it, more info later) but I know it's from the "vento" years. I think it's a 95?

It just got a new Timing Belt and some other stuff ($800 total) so I assume the engine is good (enough) but I was told that the "alarm is broken" after doing a little looking I found;

"An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Anti-Theft Control Unit. This failure will prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Anti-Theft Control Unit is estimated at $101.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax."

I've never owned a German car (or euro car for that matter) so I don't know the "good sites" for resource information. Anybody know any? I would ideally like to just bypass the alarm (since that would be basically free with a few hours work) but I have a feeling it's integrated to all the electronics and i would just cause more problem than good.

So anybody? Good sites for repair info? Or anybody actually experience this?

My uncle had a Golf III with the same problem, it didn't ever interfere with the engine starting. And anyone with VAG-Com should be able to reset any problems or bypass it alltogether.

Timing Belt is the only big problem I know on that car, it let go on my uncle, he had to replace all the valves, nothing else. He got off easy I say.

VWs think they are people

VW's are very temperamental. They are fun but you might want to consider having to spend some money down the line. As for your original question, go to audizine or audi world and see if there are any good independent mechanics in your area then ask them the question. Audi and VW are the same car in many respects so what works for one is likely to work for the other.

Through some minor internet searching I think I found a way around it, and it won't cost a cent. The ignition wire goes from key to alarm than to starter, there are no relays or overcomplicated wiring setups like i assumed, just hardwire them together and the ignition doesn't get disabled. I just have to find out if unplugging the harness makes it so the alarm won't go off either (since the brain no longer has power) or if unplugging the harass sends out a "error" since the ecu can't see it and makes it so the alarm is always going off. I could really care less about losing the factory alarm (since the car costs less than my TV) as long as nothing else gets lost. I've only owned 1 car that had power locks so using a key to open the door and reaching across to let the a passenger in are not new to me.

You might need to change the suspension bushings, but that's not an expensive fix.
Apart from that, VW's are very strong cars and tend to run forever - a friend of mine has a Mk3 Golf, which is basically the same as this Jetta, with a head gasket problem (diagnosed first by me, and then 2 professional mechanics) and she has been running it like this for a year now. The engine runs like new. Amazing!

ya I can do the bushings and stuff like that at my moms house (since she has a garage), when i get a used car I usually spend another $200 for new basic replacement stuff, filters, spark plugs/leads, even things like new windshield washer fluid and wiper blades.

Ive had my fair share of VW through the years and they tend to be fun little cars but a little less than desirable in the reliability department. If its a 95 then its definatly the A3 chasis car or more commonly refered to as the MK*III. If its a 2.0 or as VW people say the 2.slow you shouldnt have any major issues with the mechanicals of the car except for the normal wear parts and axels. If its a VR6 just walk away. These motors were fun when new but the miles arnt kind to them. Same if its an automatic. VW makes some of the worst automatic transmissions the world as ever seen. Also make sure to check the electrical system to make sure everything is functioning properly. Germans are well known for not being able to wire a flashlight let alone a car so if its a mexican built VW grab it if its a wolfsburg edition run as fast as you can. Other than that the MK*III's were fairly decent transportation. Just remember these cars are getting a little old now and if reliability is your main concern a newer car might be a better alocation of your funds. For more help try www.vwvortex.com