Spied: VW New Beetle UNVEILED

In winter 1977/78, my father hit black ice in his BMW 2002ti. He spent six months in hospital as a result of the crash and until today suffers from constant headaches. Having the same crash in a 1-series, he most likely would have walked away unharmed.
While i understand the charm of simplicity and am driving a '70s car with a "death trap on wheels" safety rating myself, i see why today's cars with their ultra-strong passenger cell, reinforced doors and a dozen or so airbags weigh more than a 2002 and why it makes a lot of sense for them to do so. Not to mention that electronic driving aids are much more practical than the '70s optional winter package consisting of a sack of cement in the boot.

true, but someone looking for such a car isn't going to get a new 1, he'll be searching for a mint E30
and a new 2002 will be safer than a 20 year old E30

:lol:

The best of 1930s technology! The only car to feature three heater options: cabin, defrost, carbon monoxide poisoning. The only flaw in the system was the last option wasn't marked on the dial.

It's nice they improved some things on the new ones at least :lol:
The heat in my car is scalding and the AC is good up to about 95 despite the car being made of mostly windows and black cloth.

It actually doesn't look terribly bad....

I'd take one with the same colour and wheels as my 991 Porsche, just for lulz.

It's not as bad as first pictures suggested. Don't think the black paint in those did it any favours.

It looks to me as if someone stuck the old Beetle and the Scirocco into a photo morphing programme and then paused at about 30%. Not saying that's a bad thing and the more muscular look rather suits it to my mind.

You know what? That looks good, better than the old one, less silly and still instantly recognisable as a beetle, and that interiour actualy looks good.

Now if you will exuse me, I'm going to the doctor for some stronger medication.

It does look likie a Sicorro-New(new old) Bettle Hybrid. Which mean it does look better, but not as good as a Sicorro.

It does look likie a Sicorro-New(new old) Bettle Hybrid. Which mean it does look better, but not as good as a Sicorro.

SpockFinal1.jpg

It's English, Jim, but not as we know it....

I prefer the old-new-Beetle. :)P)
This one looks like it's trying to be serious too much, which I think is a wrong way of interpreting the Beetle way - it IS a beetle after all. It's not a men's car, it should make you smile when you see one going the other way (which I do everything that happens). That new one appears to be wannabe-Scirocco, instead of being the innocent smiley-on-wheels that it should be. :(

1999_volkswagen_beetle_2_dr_gls_hatchback-pic-57722.jpeg

^ "Ohai ^_^"

Last edited:
Not a fan of the LED faddery headlights but I seriously like the way the rest looks. If they actually do offer this with the turbo 5cyl and AWD I might try to get one in a few years. Chances are slight though.

You know what? That looks good, better than the old one

I agree, and this New Beetle at least looks somewhat like the original Beetle, unlike the previous generation. I never got why they called it the "New Beetle", because it doesn't even look remotely similar to the old one.

I agree with the it looks much better than the original pictures made it seem.

If they actually do give it a fast engine IDK if my annoyance at VW will be enough to make me not buy it. :|

It's smiling! :)

IMHO much better looking than its predecessor. Chunkier, speortier, less goofy. I like :thumbsup: