VW to sell 1L engine car

also, the start-stop-automatic only is available on petrol models with manual gearbox, for diesels and autoboxes they're still working on it

The please explain how the start-stop tech debuted in the Mk3 Golf Eco (in 1993, 7 years before there even was a Prius) Powered by a 1.9l diesel engine. And i can't believe everyone forgot about the Golf Eco.

The please explain how the start-stop tech debuted in the Mk3 Golf Eco (in 1993, 7 years before there even was a Prius) Powered by a 1.9l diesel engine. And i can't believe everyone forgot about the Golf Eco.
I can't answer that, because I'm just the messenger. Ask Mercedes.

EDIT:
found out why they don't put that on diesels: they say diesel engines rattle too much when being stopped and started, and that doesn't go well with the consumers expectation of high standards. So technically it seems possible, they just don't want to do it.

EDIT 2:
with autoboxes, the problem seems to lie within the seperate oil system of the gearbox, which they don't get running again quickly enough after it has been shut off.

Last edited:

We didn't get the Golf Eco, so I think I can be excused for not knowing it existed, especially since it wasn't a significant sport or luxury model. :p

It isn't 1 litre engine, it's 1 litre per 100 kilometres!

I'm only saying this because some retard who wouldn't bother reading the article would comment on how many 1L engine cars have been made. If that happens, I'll be able to say "I told you so". Heh heh.

yea it was really early here oops

I approve. Just knock a fair bit off the price.

If only she would've said supercharge. :p

Do you know how much the superchargers for VW's cost D:
To supercharge my car I'm looking at $2500 :X

I've seen the start-stop-automatics being discussed elsewhere, and I noticed there's quite some awareness training to be done. Here are the details I found:

• the alternator and the starter motor are replaced with a starter generator, which acts as both and therefore minimizes losses
  • the start-stop function only kicks in under specific circumstances, like outside temperatures between 3?C (to be easy on the battery) and 30?C (to keep the aircon running at stops) and a warmed up engine
  • also, the start-stop-automatic only is available on petrol models with manual gearbox, for diesels and autoboxes they're still working on it
I saw people calling bullshit on the technology, but given the above facts, I really think it does work. And I do think that with getting more common in cars, the specs of such techniques will improve majorly. Personally I'm not really a fan of it, but I understand why they do it.

GM just beefed up their design and in 2010 will start offering on their diesels.

I wouldn't say that, it's fugly as hell. :sick:

I would say that, no car is ever fast enough. Maybe a 1.8T. :lol:

1.8T is slow in stock tune :'(

That sounds like an interesting car, but I'm not sure something that looks like that will sell all that well considering the premium. Then again the Prius does sell pretty well. On the other hand the Prius never looked that bad IMO, it just has a bad rep ;)

They have developed a system for automatics, ZF being one company.

Can't be bothered to find an appropriate article, but I read a story about it in Auto, Motor & Sport.

Basically works by having a a seperate oil storage system that gives a quick impulse of oil into the transmission to power it up quicker than under normal conditions, allowing a start-stop function.

EDIT: Here's one article, but it's in german:
http://www.heise.de/autos/Druck-Impuls-Start-Stopp-System-mit-dem-ZF-8-Gang-Automatikgetriebe--/artikel/s/5670

Last edited:
Well quit looking for Eaton's then. :p

But seriously, I know kits are expensive, I just like the fact that you get no lag. And the whine, the whine's good.

It's the only option for my engine since they're not built to be turbod and are prone to blowing out :/

It's the only option for my engine since they're not built to be turbod and are prone to blowing out :/

OK, fine.

*WARNING* Typical American response ahead. Don't say I didn't warn you. :p

Drop a big ol' V8 into it. More C.I.D. the better. :mrgreen:

Hm, I seemed to have hijacked the thread. Whoops. Don't hurt me.

Wait a minute, why the hell does this thing cost so much?!?

I suppose it costs so much because all parts (or at least most of them) are made exclusively for that car. No mass production - hight prices. And then they probably use expensive materials, like carbon fiber for the body and so on.

I think that if this should be successful and there would be mass production, the price will drop a big deal.

I think it looks cute! it may not be very practical but who cares when you can drive anywhere virtually for free.
the idea isn't bad either...

edit : Interceptor : they say they'll making several thousands of them, so that's not exactly exclusive.

On the start/stop thing shaking the car around in a diesel : thats simply not true. A mate of mine has a Mini Cooper D with the same system installed and you don't notice the car stalls at all, you only hear it a tiny bit when it starts up again.
Same goes for my boss's BMW 320 cd, which I drove just last week. totally silent and not shaky at all.

Merc is just being a pussy :p

Last edited:
I suppose it costs so much because all parts (or at least most of them) are made exclusively for that car. No mass production - hight prices. And then they probably use expensive materials, like carbon fiber for the body and so on.

I think that if this should be successful and there would be mass production, the price will drop a big deal.

I'm more inclined to believe that it's VW aiming to take advantage of the "green movement" and is trying to price gouge. My issue is that the car is very small, is not using too many exotic materials. The body is made of GRP and I'm willing to be the motor's internals are borrowed from another model with only a new block and crankshaft.

The worst thing is that this car is essentially a ripoff as when converted to gallons per mile the apparent benefit is much less. A Lupo Diesel uses about 1.67 gallons per 100 miles (combined) and this car about .35 per 100 (highway I'm assuming). Seems like a big difference but over 10000 miles a year you're only saving about 100 gallons of gas. It'd take many years to make up the difference in base price.