• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

W12

This one is only used by VAG-group as far as I know. Imagine two V6 with offset between angles of "V".
W12-cutaway.jpg

EDIT: This picture explains it a bit more:
w12_block.jpg

An effective way of packing 12 cylinders in compact block :)

wow, that's one sofisticated engine, i also taught it were just 2 rows of V6's

Yep, it still uses one crankshaft. Might be a problem with cooling, because everything is so tight... But they worked it out somehow

Smaller and lighter compared to other 12-cyl engines. Actually it's made by gluing two VR6 engines together to form a V of VR6-s :) So everything good and bad about VR6 applies to W12.

MXM said:
Yep, it still uses one crankshaft. Might be a problem with cooling, because everything is so tight... But they worked it out somehow

Holy crap, I always tought the W12 was just two V's glued together but now seeing that picture..

Damn, I agree, how the hell do they keep that cooled?

Yeah but it sucked when VW came up with that W12, didn't sell as much as they hoped...remember the Passat W8? almost ?60.000 for that car..I don't blame people for not buying that overpowered thing..

EDIT: 60.000 isn't really THAT much for such an engine, audi comes close to 80.000 with his A4 4,2 quattro but that the passat is more a businessmen's car than a sporty car, which the audi is more..

That would be so cool to have. An average looking Passat, packed with power!

How good would you not feel if you were able to outrun a Skyline or something
with a Passat.. Haha that would be so cool

Unless... the W8 Passat was frontwheel drive. In which case you'll be dealing with massive torque steer. Or was it AWD?

I think you would come close to beating a Skyline, the passat is about 6,5s from 0-60mph, and what is the Skyline? 5,5 seconds stock?

<----resident VW nerd...

W8 Passat is AWD (has 4motion, our version of quattro)
vw has an exceptionally informative flash on engines...i'll post a link...

Depends which manufacturer made it...
the passat V6 4Motion has 193bhp
the W8 has 275 bhp
and VW hasn't got a V12 in it's range

edit: thanks angrybonger, I kept retching at the multipla and my stomach began to hurt