Ownership Verified: w210 - Silver arrow

Nice car, some even nicer idea's!
I was looking for one too,motor....200 kompressor, 230, 240, 280, 320, 430, 500, E36, Dunno, there are so many engines, Then get the classic or higher spec trim... Confusion, confusion... G-wagon is easier.

Nice car, some even nicer idea's!
I was looking for one too,motor....200 kompressor, 230, 240, 280, 320, 430, 500, E36, Dunno, there are so many engines, Then get the classic or higher spec trim... Confusion, confusion... G-wagon is easier.

Thanks.

If you have the money, go all out and get the E55 or something like that. Or a T-model maybe, and bagg it :p

So I finished my adaptive brake lights circuit . . .

WRuez.jpg

Y69yf.jpg

yJaT.jpg

rVl98.jpg

4MXm7.jpg

So it all works great. :p

The circuit will be triggered by the switch i will add on the brake pedal that will go on when you press the pedal really hard. So when you brake normal, the lights will be just as usual, when you brake hard, the 3rd brake light will start blinking. Better way of doing this would be to add a G force sensor, and have that trigger the brake light, that would be more precise then, but this works for me too. And the clicking sound in the video, thats the relay. I could have done this without that, and use a transistor as a switch, but this was quicker and you wont be hearing this all of the time anyway . . .

BMWs use the ABS for it. The moment ABS feels the urge to kick in, the brake-lights start flashing until you release the brake again.

BMWs use the ABS for it. The moment ABS feels the urge to kick in, the brake-lights start flashing until you release the brake again.

Didn't thought of that to be honest . . . :p Thats also a good way to trigger it. I'll see if i can do that in my car . . . Thanks.

Or ESP if you like. Not sure how it can be done in a W210, but I think its new enough to be completely wired up and computerized to get any kind of input from all kinds of sensors :D

If you used the pedal, wouldn't the brake light start flashing if you accidentally press the pedal too hard while moving the gear selector to/from P?

Or ESP if you like. Not sure how it can be done in a W210, but I think its new enough to be completely wired up and computerized to get any kind of input from all kinds of sensors :D
Yeah, its wired up alright. Im sure thats possible, just have to see how much work is to get that signal out. I presume its no picnic.
If you used the pedal, wouldn't the brake light start flashing if you accidentally press the pedal too hard while moving the gear selector to/from P?
True, it would. But i dont floor the pedal when i change gears.

I know its fiddly like this, but until i can get the ABS signal or something similar like that, im gonna leave it like this . . .

Yeah, its wired up alright. Im sure thats possible, just have to see how much work is to get that signal out. I presume its no picnic.

I think you're thinking too complicated again :). What happens when ESP kicks in? At least in BMWs a light in the speedo starts flashing, telling you that DSC is working. There you go,.. signal.. :D

Damn, I want my middle light to blink when braking hard too. :( Wanna pop over and see what you can do? :D

In my old 1-series that was done via software by a coding-guy.. took 2 minutes and 50m + slamming the brakes to test it.

I think you're thinking too complicated again :). What happens when ESP kicks in? At least in BMWs a light in the speedo starts flashing, telling you that DSC is working. There you go,.. signal.. :D
Yeah, for ESP the light flashes, but i dont think that ESP is the good way to go. It works with ABS thats true, but in a different way. I don't want it to blink when i power slide :p

Damn, I want my middle light to blink when braking hard too. :( Wanna pop over and see what you can do? :D

You can make the circuit yourself, its not that complicated. Or I could make you one and send it your way. This should work in any car, in this switch-on-the-pedal configuration. The ABS part would be different on your car . . .

I've done a couple emergency braking manoeuvres in my W203, the ESP light doesn't come on during hard braking, so that's not a good thing to go off. ABS cutting in would be better, but then when you drive in the snow, your brake light would be flashing all the time, which I doubt would be what you wanted. best option would be a pressure sensor on the brake lines combined with a G sensor. but that would needlessly complicate the already hellishly overcomplicated W210 electronics system. Still, my hat's off to you for having the guts to even touch those electrics. I know I wouldn't, not even with a 10-foot pole.

Yeah, I'm in no way electronically inclined. The most complicated thing I dared do was hook up the mp3 adapter to the cd-changer slot on my radio. :|

I've done a couple emergency braking manoeuvres in my W203, the ESP light doesn't come on during hard braking, so that's not a good thing to go off. ABS cutting in would be better, but then when you drive in the snow, your brake light would be flashing all the time, which I doubt would be what you wanted. best option would be a pressure sensor on the brake lines combined with a G sensor. but that would needlessly complicate the already hellishly overcomplicated W210 electronics system. Still, my hat's off to you for having the guts to even touch those electrics. I know I wouldn't, not even with a 10-foot pole.

A good point on the ESP not coming on on hard braking. ESP would i guess work if you would steer and hard brake in the same time . . .

ABS signal would be the optimal way to go. G-meter would be more precise, but lets keep things simple shall we . . . :p Would be cool tho.

And this is kids play with the electronics. I plan on doing a CANbus reader, and then try to control some things digitally. That should be something then . . .
Yeah, I'm in no way electronically inclined. The most complicated thing I dared do was hook up the mp3 adapter to the cd-changer slot on my radio. :|

In that case, you're always welcome for a visit :p

Can be arranged. 47 and had brief talks about going to see Prometheus in IMAX in Zagreb. Could make a whole day of it.

Can be arranged. 47 and had brief talks about going to see Prometheus in IMAX in Zagreb. Could make a whole day of it.

Cool. Just let me know when would that be, so that i can make the circuit and have everything ready when you get here . . .

The movie's showing 6th through 12th, so... the Saturday of 9th probably. I'll contact 47. How did you think you'd do this? What would trigger the blinking?

The movie's showing 6th through 12th, so... the Saturday of 9th probably. I'll contact 47. How did you think you'd do this? What would trigger the blinking?

That Saturday works for me.

The circuit would be the same as mine. What triggers it can be a number of things, existing brake switch (then the light would flash every time you press the pedal), adding another switch thats "behind" the existing brake light switch (light push of the pedal all normal, hard push of the pedal blinking), connecting it to the ABS (now thats a bit tricky, its doable but it depends on how is the ABS wired in your car and what triggers it, and i guess it would take some programming and a small micro controller) . . .

In my opinion the method of adding another switch to the pedal is the best one for this. I just dont know if that works for you . . .

That would be perfect and exactly what I'm going for.

Great. Then we'll do that. Do you want this on all of your brake lights, or only on the 3rd brake light? Is the 3rd light LED?

Do you have some pics of the pedals in your car, or ideas on how would we mount the switch? Ever took out the panel under the dash? I hope there's room for some brackets or such . . .