wake on lan

bone

"bangle for president"
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
is there a way to shut a pc down from command line?

booting up is no problem, but for shutting down, all solutions i find involve installing some client/server program or do a remote login...

start--->run---> shutdown -s -t 01

to edit it : -s= shutdown completely
-r = restart
-t xx = the number of seconds to wait before the restart/shutdown takes place. this can be as high as 9999.

The default is 60 sec so if you do not put -t 01 in there it will wait 60 seconds.

EDIT
Oh I forgot, if you already did it and the timer is running and you want to stop the restart/shutdown sequence open run again and type in shutdown -a

Last edited:
maybe i should've mentioned i want to shut down another pc on the network, not the one i'm working on :oops:

there's still a way
type shutdown -i

It should be pretty obvious how to go on from there. If you need any more help or want the command it self and not the GUI for it lemme know.

Last edited:
What does any of that have to do with wake on lan? And what OS are we talking about? Presumably Windows?

I'm talking about windows...this works on all windows platforms, if it's a different OS I suppose he wouldv'e mentioned that.

As for it's connection to "wake on lan" I have no idea...

I believe you can send the regular shutdown command through telnet. Although you still have to log in to the machine, so it's not much better than going through RDC.

Edit: I think "shudtown -m \\ComputerName" is what you're looking for. Although, I've never use that option myself.

Last edited:
"shutdown /s /m \\remote_computer_name" should also work according to help.
I've never tried it though.

Yep, that's what the gui does in a quicker way. The only real advantage there is to using the command it self is the option to add a /f in there and force all programs to close. Sometimes the remote shutdown command hangs unless you use that trigger.

What does any of that have to do with wake on lan? And what OS are we talking about? Presumably Windows?

my mp3s are my fixed pc, so when i want to listen to music on my laptop, i first have to get upstairs, and boot my pc.

now i enabled wake on lan, so i can boot it from my sofa...but haven't found a way to shut down without doing a remote login to my fixed...

i'll try this when i get home, tnx!

Ah I see. Another easy solution would be to enable hibernate on the computer you want to shut down. Set the timer to 20-30 minutes and a while after you stopped using it it'll shut down automatically.

Ah I see. Another easy solution would be to enable hibernate on the computer you want to shut down. Set the timer to 20-30 minutes and a while after you stopped using it it'll shut down automatically.

good idea as well, but wouldn't it hibernate unregarded of the fact i'm still browsing the hd? doesn't the hibernation feature only monitor mouse/keyboard events?

that seems to want to do the right thing, but i get "access denied (5)"

some googling told me for it to work on windows 2003 server this
Force shutdown from a remote system
This security setting determines which users are allowed to shut down a computer from a remote location on the network. Misuse of this user right can result in a denial of service.

This user right is defined in the Default Domain Controller Group Policy object (GPO) and in the local security policy of workstations and servers.

Default:

* On workstations and servers: Administrators.

* On domain controllers: Administrators, Server Operators.

anyone has an idea how to enable that thing in vista?
can't seem to find where to change group policies :?
and for what group should it be enabled?

PS: UAC is disabled

EDIT:
why do they have to make it so hard???

If you are running Windows Vista with no service packs installed, the GPMC is included with the operating system. Upgrading to Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 removes the GPMC. To reinstall the GPMC, install the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows Vista with SP1.

Last edited:
hmmm...guess i'm doing not the right things

that looks only to be for domain users

anyone can point me in the right direction before i fuck up my system?

erm vista ins't really into networking stuff :p it doens't want to backup over lan to my "nas" box.

and buy a external hd (maybe with 2 drives with raid1) that has lan connector and put your music there.

Last edited:
Try this:
Add a local user on the computer that you're trying to shut down (the one that has the mp3's).
You can do this using the Computer Management control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management) in the Local Users and Groups section.
Name the user the same as the user on the computer that you are trying to shut down from (the user on your sofa PC).
Use the same password (if any), and make sure this new user is a member of the administrators group.

Give it a reboot for good measure and then try that shutdown command again.

This may seem strange, but in the past Windows OS file sharing would bypass login prompts and such if you set up users in this manner, and I wonder if this might work for the shutdown command.

If you are looking for a NAS device, I would recommend a QNAP.
Personally I have the QNAP TS-509 with 5TB.
I have it set up so I can do a WOL through the internet (like when I want to use it from work), and it has a web interface that you can use to shut it down.
I also have it set up to automatically start and shut down at certain times and on certain days of the week (I have it set for it to only be on when I'm at home and not asleep).
It's a Linux box so you can mod it to run other programs. For example, I put a different torrent client on mine.
It doesn't use a lot of power, when it's active I think it uses about 60W, and when it's idle it's less than that.