Spoilers: Walking Dead on AMC

hmm, its good to hear that they're not following the comic book completely but are using them as a guide. which is good because since the comic book is still running. it would only be a matter of time until the series catches up with the comic book. As long as they don't venture too far from the source material i can live with it.
this still remains for me, the must watch new show for the year. can't remember the last time i was looking forward this much to the launch of a tv series.

My friends and I are having a "Walking Dead" halloween party. We're all going to chill at my friend's house, watch the show, then go out and Part-ay!

I do hope they drop that whole....
loosing a hand thing
I do not feel its adds anything to the story.

I do hope they drop that whole....
loosing a hand thing
I do not feel its adds anything to the story.

i always saw that...
as like a symbol of the situation gradually taking its toll on Rick. the guy goes through so much and one of the things i like is how he starts with so much optimism and it just gradually gets eaten away. especially in the later books. while i'd like them to remain true to the source material. i'm hoping they don't focus too much on the prison arc. that was the only time where i thought the story stalled and it became difficult for me to remain interested.

either way, i'm still really excited to see this.

Cannot wait for the show. I'll find a way to watch it somehow over here, even though it might not be that hard for me:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2010/10/31/IMAG0260.jpg

Also, Sarah Wayne Callies :wub:

Just finished watching the Premier.... SO GOOD!!!

I didn't want it to end, although I loved the way it did.

When the black guy (I forget his name) was up on the second story, trying to shoot his wife.... that was really emotional, and I thought they conveyed it very well, I hope this is a sign of things to come directing wise

A spectacular premier episode.
Any show that has the nuts to show a cop shooting a little girl zombie in the head during the first few minutes of the episode is good in my book.
I am quite happy that they will not be following the comic panel to panel. Those stories have already been told, retelling them in video form is not necessary. The show needs to go its own way.

Some have been complaining that this episode was slow. I have to disagree. If anything I would be happier if it went slower. I could watch Rick just silently moving through a desolated landscape inhabited with zombies for hours. All that would be needed is some sporadic background music and epic scenery.

In addition:
I suspect that they will stay in the South for the duration of the series. There is really no need to go North, it would just stretch the budget for little gain.

I agree with you, I don't think the show was slow at all.

Wow, just watched the first episode and simply wow. its been a long time since i've enjoyed a opening episode this much. Characters were spot on and it didn't venture too far from the heart of the comic book. I'd like to see them take their time building up this storyline and I get the impression that this season will cover the length of the first TPB collection.
This is now a solid must watch and i'm so glad that the buildup didn't disappoint. While watching it i wasn't thinking "this isn't as great as the trailer led me to believe" in fact the pacing of the story made me think it was far better. in fact i kind of wish that the comic book had used this kind of pacing. really want to see more of the show now and i'm hoping that there is going to be more than just this pilot and another 6 episodes. Mind you, i'd rather have this show at a decent amount of episodes than one that is spread out over too many.
roll on next week!

Oh yes. This show exceeded my expectations, and they were high. If they keep this up, damn, count me in.

And shooting the little girl or showing the horse getting nommed would be completely un-doable in Germany....allthough we probably showed more tits :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just watched the first episode and simply wow. its been a long time since i've enjoyed a opening episode this much. Characters were spot on and it didn't venture too far from the heart of the comic book. I'd like to see them take their time building up this storyline and I get the impression that this season will cover the length of the first TPB collection.
This is now a solid must watch and i'm so glad that the buildup didn't disappoint. While watching it i wasn't thinking "this isn't as great as the trailer led me to believe" in fact the pacing of the story made me think it was far better. in fact i kind of wish that the comic book had used this kind of pacing. really want to see more of the show now and i'm hoping that there is going to be more than just this pilot and another 6 episodes. Mind you, i'd rather have this show at a decent amount of episodes than one that is spread out over too many.
roll on next week!

Judging by the synopsis I posted it will not be following the narrative of the comic. In my opinion that is only a good thing.

Judging by the synopsis I posted it will not be following the narrative of the comic. In my opinion that is only a good thing.

i don't mind it not following the comic book to the letter, since that would obviously tie them down in the stories they tell. i just want them to keep to the mood and spirit of the comic book. just not venture off too far and do their own thing.

be warned, spoilers lay ahead for those who haven't seen the first episode.

'The Walking Dead': Comic book series creator Robert Kirkman answers our questions about last night's shocking pilot
Last night, AMC screened the pilot of new show The Walking Dead, in which Andrew Lincoln?s small town Georgia sheriff Rick Grimes desperately attempts to reunite with his family in a zombie apocalypse. The result was an epic start to this adaptation of Robert Kirkman?s long-running comic?and an amazingly horrific display by TV standards.
How did pilot director Frank Darabont get away with featuring so much bloody mayhem? Will a knowledge of the original comic series help viewers guess which characters are going to live and which become undead chow? And was that really Jim Carrey cameo-ing as a zombie?
After the jump, Robert Kirkman?who is also one of the writers on the show and a Walking Dead executive producer?tackles these questions and more. Though, be warned, at times the conversation leans toward the gory and, if you haven?t yet seen the pilot, spoilery.
Entertainment Weekly: I?m guessing the Walking Dead pilot is the first to open with the hero shooting a cute?if admittedly zombiefied?little girl in the head.
Robert Kirkman: That could be a first possibly, yeah.
EW: Even your original comic didn?t kick off in such a brutal fashion. Was there much discussion about that whether that was a good idea?
RK: You know, it was just something Frank put into the script. At no point did AMC say, ?Yeah, maybe we shouldn?t be doing this.? So I guess because it was treated like it wasn?t a big deal, it didn?t really occur to me how bold that was until I was on set. It was always a question as to how much of that they were going to show, and AMC has surprised us with everything that they?re allowing us to do. There was a plan at one point to shoot a lot of gore?which is what we did?but the original plan was to have re-edited versions of the episodes, that would go on DVD. But at this point, AMC hasn?t really made us pull anything.
EW: The kid was wearing rabbit ear slippers, for goodness sake!
RK: Well, Frank is very demented.
EW: Then the show cut back in time to a long conversation about women between Rick Grimes and his fellow cop, Shane (Jon Bernthal). It?s like the first scene was saying, ?Hey, if you don?t like zombie movies, then switch over to Brothers and Sisters, but the second sequence made clear that this is not just going to be a show about people plunging axes into zombies? heads.
RK: Yeah. It?s a very cool juxtaposition [that explains] what this show is going to be. The show is going to serve a lot of masters. There?s going to be very straight human drama stuff, and then there?s going to be very graphic, crazy zombie stuff. And it?s neat that in the first minutes of the first episode you get a sense of exactly what the show is going to be bringing you, week after week.
EW: I suspect a lot of people who are coming across the story of The Walking Dead for the first time would have thought that the guy-wakes-from-coma-to-discover-that-the-world-has-been-overrun-by-zombies plot was very similar to 28 Days Later. Presumably you had seen that film when you wrote the first issue of the comic?
RK: No. Welcome to my life seven years ago. It was complete coincidence. I saw 28 Days Later shortly before the first issue of Walking Dead was released. That first issue came out in October of 2003 and 28 Days Later was released in the States in June of 2003. So we were working on our second issue by the time I saw it. It was going to be a matter of somehow trying to restage the entire first issue, because it was a very similar coma opening. I made a decision?which I pretty much regret at this point?I said, ?You know what? It?s so different [from that point on], I will probably never hear anything about this.? And I was wrong.
EW: So when you saw the movie you must have thought, ?Oh s?!?
RK: Yeah. It was a little annoying. But great minds think alike, right?
EW: A colleague of mine who saw the pilot, and is unfamiliar with the zombie genre, couldn?t believe that Rick didn?t spend more time going ?So, what exactly happened while I was in a coma?? He doesn?t seem to show a lot of interest in the details of how the entire world fell apart.
RK: Well, he has a lot distracting him. He has a wife and son that?s out there and right now he?s focusing on that. As the show progresses, you?ll see that Rick is a very one-track-mind kind of guy. He?s not going to stand around and go, ?Well, I?m going to find my wife and son, but first we need to find out what all these dead people are doing.? Plus, if something like this were to really happen, the people in Georgia aren?t going to walk out of their houses and say, ?We need to get to the bottom of this!? Pardon my French, but that?s like a bulls? action movie kind of stance. That?s not how it would be. The main worry would be, ?How are we going to survive today? How are we going to find food? How are we going to protect ourselves?? People would just assume that the government was trying to do something. Or they would just assume that there was nothing we could do.
EW: It?s interesting, because Rick?s a cop, but he?s clearly not John McClane.
RK: Rick is a much more realistic police office. I always kind of pictured that Rick Grimes was not a police officer that had used his gun very often. He was just one of those guys that basically just walks by the local malt shop and made sure the kids were getting home on time.
EW: There was one zombie in the show that looked just like Jim Carrey, who worked with Frank Darabont on The Majestic. Can you confirm whether or not that was a cameo from Ace Ventura?
walking-dead_240.jpg

RK: It?s not Jim Carrey at all. And dammit, most days I remember that guy?s name. He?s a great guy. I?ve met him a few times. He works for [visual effects company] KNB. He appears like maybe four times as different zombies in the six episodes.
EW: Also, one of the first zombies we saw in the episode had no legs. Was that CGI or did you use an amputee actor?
RK: That was completely CGI. The woman was wearing basically blue stockings and then everything was cleaned out. There is an alarming amount of CGI in the pilot episode and in the whole show, and you would never know it. The company, Stargate, that does it, does a lot of CGI for television, and they do an amazing job. There?s a shot where Rick is riding off on the horse and his hat actually blew off, and they really liked that shot, and so they had Stargate go in and digitally put the hat back on his head.
EW: We also discovered in the pilot that zombies love eating horses, which is a departure from the undead mythology as set out in George A. Romero?s zombie films. In fact, as I?m sure you know, in Romero?s most recent zombie movie, Survival of the Dead, they spend a long time trying to persuade one of the zombies to eat a horse.
RK: Yes, that is true. Anecdotally, that is actually the exact same horse.
EW: Really?
RK: Yeah, yeah, the trained horse in the Walking Dead pilot and is the exact same horse from Survival of the Dead. But again, similar to the 28 Days Later situation, the zombies-eating-the-horse thing was in The Walking Dead seven years ago. So, screw you George Romero! [Laughs]
EW: In the comic book, the affair between Rick?s wife Lori and Shane is over by the time we catch up with the characters. But in the show, they?re depicted as still together. Why?
RK: Well, I didn?t know how long the comic book series was going to last. I hoped that it would become a success and survive for years and years. But at that time in my career, it was very early, I had had a lot of books canceled, just because of poor sales. So early on in the book I would move past storylines very quickly. I set up this love triangle and I resolved that story and moved along within the first [few] issues. But there?s a lot of story potential to mine there. One of the things that the TV show is able to do is to look at the comic book series with hindsight and go, ?This would probably be something that we could explore more.? And that?s what we?re going to be doing. So we?ll be seeing a lot more of the Lori-Shane-Rick love triangle.
EW: I?m very familiar with your still ongoing comic series. So, how confident should I be that I know which characters are going to survive for a long time?
RK: Not. Confident. At all. One of the best aspects of the comic book series is, when you sit down to read an issue, you really have no idea what?s going to happen. Anybody could go at any moment. There?s really no sense of safety in the comic book at all. And I wanted to preserve that for the television show. If people on the show have ideas for different things to happen, I encourage that. I want people to be as surprised by the show as they are by the comic book series.
original article: http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/01/walking-dead-amc-pilot-kirkman/

Good read there.

Can't wait for the next episode

Just finished the first episode. SOOOO GOOOD

Zombie_Kill_of_the_Week_by_Internet_Ninja.png

I've just found my new favorite TV show. I'm gonna nerd over this in a way I haven't done since Season 5 of 24.

Great show. I'll be DVR'ing these from now on.

Oh yes. This show exceeded my expectations, and they were high. If they keep this up, damn, count me in.

And shooting the little girl or showing the horse getting nommed would be completely un-doable in Germany....allthough we probably showed more tits :p

Link to download your version with tits????? :p

just finished watching it, oh my god that was awesome! I can't wait for the next episode.

EDIT: About end scene
really felt bad for the horse, that horse was chillin in that farm and rick pretty much took him to its demise. Damn it Rick!

Last edited: