Wank to Argatoga's MG

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
So today I went out and bought a new toy. It's a 1978 MG Midget with a ported 12a swap. I've been told it has dyno'ed at 200hp, but damned if I am going to test that out with original spec breaks. I'll see if I can find a real camera to take some shots, assuming an apex seal doesn't disintegrate and kill me in the process.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/05/mgwank.jpg

Index
1) Lighting
1a) Tail light lenses
2) Gearbox
a) Tailshaft

Shops

Northwest Import Parts [Portland, OR] http://www.northwestimportparts.com/ - I've found prices to be equal to or less than Moss. Quick delivery (I live near Seattle). Parts ordered were of good quality. They include candy with order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you bring it home by tying it down to the top of the Equinox? :p

Well, we know what to get you for Christmas.... a fire extinguisher. :D

Hell yeah!! Rotary ftw. I bet that thing flies with 200hp, although without a full peripheral port, I doubt its making that much.

Would look nicer with some chrome bumpers but a lovely car.

Awesome. An MG, with Lucas electrics, in a state that is known for high amounts of precipitation.

Hats off to you, Roy Harper. ;)

But seriously, that is a pretty cool car.

Impending doom aside, that's an awesome little car. A 200hp rotary in a car that weighs what? 2,000lbs maybe? That is pure ... awesomeness. You don't need brakes anyway, drive the crap out of that thing.

Last edited:
Would look nicer with some chrome bumpers but a lovely car.

Yea it would, too bad it came from the factory with these plastic monstrosities.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/05/Feb2002.jpg

Well, we know what to get you for Christmas.... a fire extinguisher. :D

Bah that's why I live in Washington, the rain will do it. ;)

Awesome. An MG, with Lucas electrics, in a state that is known for high amounts of precipitation.

Hats off to you, Roy Harper. ;)

But seriously, that is a pretty cool car.

Heh, yes there are a couple remains of the Son of Lucifer, but from what I can tell the most important bits are Mazda. It is pretty easy to tell which is which, the Mazda stuff works.

Impending doom aside, that's an awesome little car. A 200hp rotary in a car that weighs what? 2,000lbs maybe? That is pure ... awesomeness. You don't brakes anyway, drive the crap out of that thing.

According to the previous owner it probably weights a bit less than a ton, so yea it is my death.

Hell yeah!! Rotary ftw. I bet that thing flies with 200hp, although without a full peripheral port, I doubt its making that much.

I was told it dyno'ed 200hp when they did the swap (early 90s), but I don't know if it is still pumping that out.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It isn't perfect (but that's the point isn't it): the tach isn't connected, it has the old rear end so I can't goon around too much, and it dosn't have a radio (not too concerned as without a muffler it is too loud to hear anything).

I won't be using it much until at least Spring, but hopefully by then I can afford some new goodies for it.

Oh and yes it has lolsprings and a live rear axel (it is a sports car after all ;)).

Last edited:
Did you bring it home by tying it down to the top of the Equinox? :p

Hey Hey, that's a Pontiac Torrent, you don't want to confuse these things. It has a different steering wheel!

I did the responsible things and drove it home without insurance. :)

Good find.
200 wheel or crank?

He didn't say (it was an auto-broker friend of his who did the swap) but I would assume crank. Still way too much power.

Last edited:
So, being a petrol head, I imagine you stepped on it a bit. How much faster than the mustang is it?

Great buy btw :thumbsup:

Nice car! Cool swap too. I know a guy with a MGA with a 5.0l Ford V8 in it... that thing hauls some serious ass.

Congrats! You must be a patient man.

you win the internets with a car like that!

Get a video of it at idle, I imagine it has a nasssty idle with those big ports. Brap brap brap brap. I love it.

More like this. :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOmdBMBI-dI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]