Wank to Argatoga's MG

The front end is much more bouncy than it should be. The brakes are also a bit under powered. Upgrading the front brakes and suspension should fix a lot of this. The older dampers are also a bit worn after 30+ years, newer and better telescopic ones will dramatically improve things. Here is what I want to do to my front.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/07/12/Midget_FS1__9inch_brake_assembled_with_suspension.JPG

I do have a stupid question. I'd like to replace the springs while I am at it. But I would like to put in ones which are 1" lower. The problem is that I'd imagine I'd also need to replace the rears as well which are a bit more expensive. Can I get away with having a higher rear?

It seems they also have a lowering kit (blocks + extra long U-bolts). What is the advantage/disadvantage of using the lowering kit instead of lower leafs?

It seems they also have a lowering kit (blocks + extra long U-bolts). What is the advantage/disadvantage of using the lowering kit instead of lower leafs?
If the blocks are fairly short I don't think they'll give you problems. My S10 has (I think) 3" lowering blocks and the springs are no longer curved quite right. But I'm also making a little more torque and carrying a little more weight than you. And I used to run a 300mm rear tire :p.

Anyway I think 1" lowering blocks would be fine. Sorry about that blown engine, you want some help hunting the guy down?

Argh. The throttle body is too tall by 3". I will either need a hood bulge a shorter manifold.

How big a hood bulge? And can you not use a shorter throttlebody?

Last edited:
No way in hell. You'll need megasquirt or some other tunable ecu.

Honestly, I would go with a IDA style intake ($260 brand new from racing beat) and a Weber 48 carb, which is $550 or thereabouts. You will gain somewhere around 30hp just from this. You could also get a ITB setup for around the same price, but you would also need a standalone and upgrades to the fuel system. But since your car was already set up for a carb, I would highly recommend staying with that for the time being. The stock s3/s4 intake is severely choked and doesn't like to rev past 7000rpm.

I want EFI, if it requires a hood bulge so be it. Drivability is more important.

Well looks like I will be having it raised. I might as well go for a hood scoop for the extra cooling. Any recommendations?

Would an "Elan Bump" work?

282384.1967.Lotus.Elan.jpg

Lotus_Elan_S4se.jpg

Probably bigger though.

Yea a hood bulge would probably look better.

I think a cobra style scoop would look good... either that or a rounded out mini cowld bulge. I don't know how to explain it, but I hope you understand what I mean.

I might go for a scoop. Where can I find one? What is a good brand?