Want to sell my oldish desktop, best choices?

B

Backdraft

The specs:

Q6600
Gigabyte mobo
4GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 9800GT
Antec Sonata II case
22-inch moniter (maybe sell)

So I've decided to take a break from PC gaming (which was what this was for originally), and I want to sell this desktop. As you can see the specs are kind of oldish/last-gen, so I'm asking what's the best way to recoup on these? CL, eBay, etc.? Should I sell them as individual parts, or the system as a whole?

Thanks.

PC parts go out of date very quickly. All of it sans monitor might go for $150 at most.

It's not worth the trouble really. New parts are only marginally more expensive than used parts, so most people don't bother.

I'd write them off.

When I rebuilt my PC 2 years ago I sold the MoBo, CPU and memory modules as a bundle, but it was one of the last socket 939 AMDs so they were fairly sought after at the time. That could be a realistic way to get some cash for the parts, I was actually talking to someone yesterday who wants me to build a new PC but doesn't want to spend too much.

Give it to someone who might need it more than you do. I'm sure they'd be very happy.

Agreed. Donate the computer to a school.

send it to affrica, that's what we do

how else would they be able to inform you they have several millions on the bank, but need your help to collect it

I agree with give it away to less fortunate. Internet is starting to become more of a utility like a phone line then a luxury, you can't even apply for most jobs by paper anymore. I would say youth center over a school though, they won't be letting the kids enjoy it at a school and that is a gaming PC meant for enjoyment.

Uh, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as everyone else. I've had some success with what you have in mind.

You will likely not be able to sell it as a package, but I would even try that... you have nothing to lose, just put it on craigslist for a week. I managed to sell a 3-year old Athlon 64 a few years ago to someone who just wanted a box to put beside his TV, I got slightly over $200 I believe.

Admittedly you'd have to seriously luck out to sell it that way, but taking it apart and selling parts should net you some spending cash. I listed a E8400 and 4GB of OCZ RAM for $100 two months ago, responses were more than receptive to my asking price.

Edit: I'm not advocating not giving it to the needy, I'm just saying you could probably get a bit of money if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Sell the 9800, case, monitor, get a nice HTPC case + more frugal gpu & enjoy HTPC/NAS goodness

Last edited:
I don't have space for my desktop at my new house, so I'm thinking of selling it too. Based on the suggestions, I think I'll put it on craigslist.

It's a 2.93Ghz i5 with 8GB DDR3 and, a 180GB Sandforce SSD, two 300GB drives for raid, and an Nvidia GTX 460 1GB. What do y'all think I should ask for it?

I also have two 1080p 24" LED monitors; not sure whether to sell them, offer them with the computer, or what.