War Heroes visit Top Gear

I didn't say anything about disabled veterans or Jeremy Clarkson.

If you choose not to see Hammond's "thank you" party as a publicity stunt, so be it. I can see no other reason to move 100 people 400 miles on "coaches".

I repeat. Isn't there a suitable venue for a thank you party that does not require busing 100 people 400 miles? Come on!

I'm amazed that your bullshit detector doesn't work for Richard Hammond.

The part about disabled veterans wasn't for you, hence why it was above the quote of your post.

And yeah, I guess I'm one of the few people in the world that thinks a person - WHO'S SOLE REASON FOR BEING ALIVE TODAY IS BECAUSE OF THESE PEOPLE, could actually be sincere when throwing them thank you party. Hammond is already popular enough, he doesn't need "publicity stunts" to boost his name. He isn't running for PM. I didn't realise that you were an expert on party venues in England. It doesn't say where the party is happening, so maybe you could recommend a place closer to Manchester or Leeds.

Try the Weetwood Hall Conference Centre and Hotel in Leeds. It's rated four stars.

Weetwood_exterior_crop.jpg

As for Richard Hammond not needing publicity, speak with his agent. He's in SHOW BUSINESS.

Last edited:
"Your moral compass is so fucked up that i'd be surprised if you found your way back to the parking lot."

Apart from citing random things, Mach1, the only thing i have to tell you is that if you want to make the world a better place, you better start with yourself. At least try to see what there really is, not what you want to see. Bringing in negativity never helped. Cheers.

Maybe he should have sent each one a nice 200 Pound gift?
Yeah, that sounds much better than giving a grand gesture to a group of people who all too often get shat on in the media. Underplaying the role of the medics by quietly tossing around some nice gift certificates would have been way better than this. Why use a high profile location and crank up the spotlights for these guys when the pub round the corner will host it for a lot less money? They might even throw in some free balloons!

And what the hell is it to you how he expresses his gratitude for having his life saved? I mean there's being a cynical bastard, and then there's being a cynical bastard.

Try the Weetwood Hall Conference Centre and Hotel in Leeds. It's rated four stars.

Weetwood_exterior_crop.jpg

As for Richard Hammond not needing publicity, speak with his agent. He's in SHOW BUSINESS.

In Leeds I would have probably gone for the Radisson. Anyway 20 grand isn't that much for a showbiz party. London has much more flair in my eyes, so the Hamster made the right decision.
I am wondering though, if he is doing something for the doctors and nurses from the West (was it Bristol??). If they are attending the same party, then he has no real other chance apart from London.
Mach1: You haven't thought that far have you? :lol::lol:

Yeah, that sounds much better than giving a grand gesture to a group of people who all too often get shat on in the media. Underplaying the role of the medics by quietly tossing around some nice gift certificates would have been way better than this. Why use a high profile location and crank up the spotlights for these guys when the pub round the corner will host it for a lot less money? They might even throw in some free balloons!

And what the hell is it to you how he expresses his gratitude for having his life saved? I mean there's being a cynical bastard, and then there's being a cynical bastard.

Yes, and if I'd saved someone life I'd expect only a gratuitous, verbal 'Thank You'. If I were sent or "paid" any money I'd be so insulted.

As for the party, it is a kind gesture which Richard has organized and if you don't go to it, it would only be insulting.

I don't think that PR has much to do with it. As much as Jezza loves to take the piss out of about everybody, I think that he genuinely cares for the people who risk their health and live in a war they didn't ask for.
I'm not much of a person who thinks that we or any other allied forces should wage war on anybody, but I do appreciate the bravery of soldiers and I'm very happy to see that they invited him to fulfill him a dream. That'll do more for his recovery than any medication I guess. That's beyond cocking-about and I'm sure they would have done it even if nobody noticed. :)

You should view a few of his documentaries about the second world war, inventions and speed. He's not only good at shouting at people, but he's also a brilliant journalist and program presenter.

For him, TG is a toy. The other things he does, is his real work. Which he loves and lives for.

If you choose not to see Hammond's "thank you" party as a publicity stunt, so be it. I can see no other reason to move 100 people 400 miles on "coaches". Let's see: 20,000 Pounds spent on 100 people .... Maybe he should have sent each one a nice 200 Pound gift?

I repeat. Isn't there a suitable venue for a thank you party that does not require busing 100 people 400 miles? Come on! Even Cody, Wyoming (population 8,835) has at least four suitable locations.

or perhaps he thought it would be more memorable for them if they came to his house or something?

If you choose not to see Hammond's "thank you" party as a publicity stunt, so be it. I can see no other reason to move 100 people 400 miles on "coaches". Let's see: 20,000 Pounds spent on 100 people .... Maybe he should have sent each one a nice 200 Pound gift?

I repeat. Isn't there a suitable venue for a thank you party that does not require busing 100 people 400 miles? Come on! Even Cody, Wyoming (population 8,835) has at least four suitable locations.

You go and make sense someplace else buddy! :thumbup:

yes I noticed that too, what I also noticed is that it appears to be the twentieth anniversery colour which as far as I can tell is not actually available in GB

They can't order silver? :lol:

OT though, very heart warming, both stories! Good on 'em :thumbsup:

The part about disabled veterans wasn't for you, hence why it was above the quote of your post.

And yeah, I guess I'm one of the few people in the world that thinks a person - WHO'S SOLE REASON FOR BEING ALIVE TODAY IS BECAUSE OF THESE PEOPLE, could actually be sincere when throwing them thank you party. Hammond is already popular enough, he doesn't need "publicity stunts" to boost his name. He isn't running for PM. I didn't realise that you were an expert on party venues in England. It doesn't say where the party is happening, so maybe you could recommend a place closer to Manchester or Leeds.

Some people, are so negative about everything, you'll never be able to persuade them otherwise.

Both fantastic stories. That Top Gear bunch are fantastic :thumbsup:

thats some cool shit. really sucks about the para. but it still makes you smile