Was the Veyron v McLaren race staged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing some math, I don't think that the numbers I've seen are right... it seems that the F1 has 501hp per ton, while the Veyron has something like 530hp... I may be wrong, but maybe not.

Last edited:
The Bugatti only does 0-60 in 2.5 with launch control. Without it, it's about 3. I don't think it was staged.

The Veyron should be suffering from turbo lag and the heat, that explains the slow start.

Since Mclaren is equipped with a naturally aspirated machine, it's good on the start due to the lightweight chassis but at the end, it can't push much farther. The Veyron, on the other hand, once it reaches the optimum force to operate the turbo, the power it creates rises exponentially.

Last edited:
most supercars are faster than veyrona in the =

What is a veyrona?

I think McLaren will be much faster than Veyron at the track. It is possible to do around 1:17

I hope they will do power lap with McLaren.

No. It won't be/It isn't. The McLaren was a power car, not so much a handling car.

The BBC is teh homo and removed the english one, so a foreign language might have to do.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPQkiXptCeU[/YOUTUBE]

In the aft shot of both cars just before they launched, the Veyron's brake lights looked to be flashing almost as if in a sequence. Does anyone know if this might be a sign Launch Control was engaged?

It looked like The Stig launched better than Richard did and I have to believe the heat affected the Veyron's turbocharger performance.

Still, a great race between two epic cars.

In the aft shot of both cars just before they launched, the Veyron's brake lights looked to be flashing almost as if in a sequence. Does anyone know if this might be a sign Launch Control was engaged?
Yeah, I saw that, too. It isn't connected to the launch control though. The effect comes from the way the new tail- and brakelights work. They use LEDs, and to get the different brightnesses, those LEDs are either fully on (max. brightness) or pulsed (less brightness) quicker than the human eye can distinguish. The pulsing then interferes with the framerate of the camera, so on the video, the lights produce odd patterns.

... oh my god, I am German! :cry:

Yeah, I saw that, too. It isn't connected to the launch control though. The effect comes from the way the new tail- and brakelights work. They use LEDs, and to get the different brightnesses, those LEDs are either fully on (max. brightness) or pulsed (less brightness) quicker than the human eye can distinguish. The pulsing then interferes with the framerate of the camera, so on the video, the lights produce odd patterns.

... oh my god, I am German! :cry:

Hey, I consider that excellent information (although I was educated by Germans so...). It's the same reason wheels "go backwards" of course. What I don't know is why this is necessary. Is it easier on the LEDs not to be under constant current? Easier to provide AC due to reduced transmission losses? Because if it was just an issue of brightness why not simply use fewer or LEDs with less output. At least in the US brake/tail lights don't have attenuated brightnesses. They are either on or off.

Hey, I consider that excellent information (although I was educated by Germans so...). It's the same reason wheels "go backwards" of course. What I don't know is why this is necessary. Is it easier on the LEDs not to be under constant current? Easier to provide AC due to reduced transmission losses? Because if it was just an issue of brightness why not simply use fewer or LEDs with less output. At least in the US brake/tail lights don't have attenuated brightnesses. They are either on or off.
This technique is applied when the brakelights and the taillights effectively are the same lamp. Then, you need two different brightnesses for the same set of LEDs. The pulsing is used because LEDs can't be dimmed like normal bulbs, since they work fundamentally different. I personally think there would be other ways, and LEDs are not un-dimmable, but that's what they came up with.

Last edited:
What is a veyrona?
are you mad or something?

anyway, yes you can beat any car at the time with veyrona, just don't go to abhuthabu, and north pole, and desert, and on the moon. well, bug can lose here and there, obviuously

Last edited:
Also, le Stiggles was piloting the Veyron :p
Oh, if only...

I doubt you can fudge the outcome of such a thing that well. Remember Zonda F roadster vs. the Bugatti? The Z got spanked. Abu Dhabi is about as different as it's possible to be, climatically speaking, to Surrey. The hot air there will be less dense, and will have neutered the Bugatti's turbos.
There was a feature in TG magazine a while back where some nutty Finn took a Bentley Continental GT Speed to >200mph on ice, apparently only possible because of the colder Arctic air being denser.

Last edited:
This technique is applied when the brakelights and the taillights effectively are the same lamp. Then, you need two different brightnesses for the same set of LEDs. The pulsing is used because LEDs can't be dimmed like normal bulbs, since they work fundamentally different. I personally think there would be other ways, and LEDs are not un-dimmable, but that's what they came up with.

See I always envisioned this as an array of LEDs where only some were illuminated for taillights but then additional LEDs would be illuminated when braking. Looks like I just have a bad mental map which makes sense as I haven't really inspected many Veyron taillights. I do understand that semiconductors are either on or off and can't be attenuated like incandescent bulbs. The only way I've ever managed to dim an LED was with a malfunctioning component. They should either be on or off. I still don't see why they need to apply a frequency effect to accomplish dimming without additional reason. It may be something as simple as they have AC power output for whatever reason and it's easier not to convert back to DC for the lights. Doesn't matter why really (I'm certainly not an automotive engineer). My interest is satisfied knowing what caused the flicker.

Just remember the stig was in the Mclaren F1 and he is a damn near perfect driver.

Problem is : Stig can drive. Hammond can't. Thats why the Mclaren took the lead for so long. the end.

I'm positive it was staged. There is no way Hammond and the Stig could have been in the same place racing those two cars while the cameras were rolling unless someone planned it. I hate how things like this are so blatantly staged on Top Gear.

Reactions: MWF
What is a veyrona?
are you mad or something?

anyway, yes you can beat any car at the time with veyrona, just don't go to abhuthabu, and north pole, and desert, and on the moon. well, bug can lose here and there, obviuously

I'm sorry. Due to your failure to quote properly and confusing reply, I can't respond at this time because I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

some say russians call that car veyronzchenko. and mclaren is mclarenovski.
and dragrace winner is putin.
anyway, i am trying to be factual here.

Oh good, for a moment there it looked like you were trying to be funny. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.