Water found on Moon after Nasa 'bombing' mission

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
A "significant amount" of frozen water has been found on the Moon, NASA has announced.

"The discovery opens a new chapter in our understanding of the Moon," the US space agency said in a statement.

The discovery follows a mission last month in which Nasa "bombed" the Moon in the hope of finding H20.

The LCROSS expedition involved crashing a rocket into the surface of the Earth's only satellite, to kick up a cloud of debris into space that scientists believed may show evidence of water.

There were fears that the experiment had been a damp squib after live pictures relayed back from the Moon showed no sign of an impact.

Finding water, which could be used for drinking, making fuel and providing oxygen, has major implications for the future of moon exploration.

A ready supply of water would make it far more practicable to build lunar bases or launch missions to Mars from the Moon.

As part of the LCROSS mission one rocket slammed into the Cabeus crater, near the Moon's southern pole, at around 5,600 miles (9,000 kilometres) per hour. It was followed four minutes later by a spacecraft equipped with cameras to record the impact.

Nasa announced details of its find in a press conference on Friday.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...found-on-Moon-after-Nasa-bombing-mission.html

That I did not expect...

I proposed bombing the moon for years and people told me I was crazy. We have found the water, I suspect the WMDs will be discovered next.

:lol:

But I thought they already knew about the frozen lakes and what not? So bombing the moon was their only way of double checking?

But I thought they already knew about the frozen lakes and what not? So bombing the moon was their only way of double checking?
You have to admit, it's a pretty awesome way of double checking.

It hit the Moon Kings breakfast cereals.

Yeah, I was under the impression that is wass no secret that there is ice on the moon.

I proposed bombing the moon for years and people told me I was crazy. We have found the water, I suspect the WMDs will be discovered next.

I had the same thing when I pruposed bombing holland!

They knew there was water ice, but it was suspected it was in tiny amounts mixed in with the lunar dust.

Now they know there are basically lakes of it.

A massive crash resulted with Ice being found on the moon?

Ok, who game him a spaceship?

GODDAMN I can't believe I missed that one!

Maybe the Killer Whale those kids from Colorado sent up to the moon can now swim with it's other zybots.

:blink:

^ Funny Episode

But that's super cool though, it will make the process of setting up a moon base much easier.

Yeah, I was under the impression that is wass no secret that there is ice on the moon.

I didn't realise the deer was that big...

in seriousness, iirc, they didn't know if the ice was drinkable or not. to be honest, i'm on a truly churchillian drunken bender at the moment so may well be wrong