Ways to Improve Performance

But, I was told that the one that I bought only works for HDDs, but not CD/DVD drives.

I knew that when I bought a new motherboard I would have to ditch all of my old IDE drives because every is SATA now. It kinda sucks, but that may be the best option. "Cheap" upgrades always turn into expensive overhauls.

Now, I tried connecting the DVD drive and HDD (together on the same cord) to the motherboard's IDE port (labeled "PRI_EIDE").

Then, it asked for a Windows boot disc, so I put in my Windows XP installation disc into the DVD drive and it began the installation setup, then it said it didn't recognize a hard disk. My HDD was plugged in with the DVD drive to the motherboard's IDE port and it was working because I felt it vibrating when I turned the PC on.

I already ordered the adapter and I'll try to connect it, but if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy a new HDD.

But, how will I get the files from my current HDD to the new one if I get it?

Edit: I found this Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive for $52.

It's basically the same as my current one, but it has double the space.

Last edited:
If you get a new SATA HDD, install Windows on that first. Then all you need to do is disconnect your optical drives and connect the old IDE HDD, then transfer the files over to the new SATA HDD.

Now, I tried connecting the DVD drive and HDD (together on the same cord) to the motherboard's IDE port (labeled "PRI_EIDE").

Then, it asked for a Windows boot disc, so I put in my Windows XP installation disc into the DVD drive and it began the installation setup, then it said it didn't recognize a hard disk. My HDD was plugged in with the DVD drive to the motherboard's IDE port and it was working because I felt it vibrating when I turned the PC on.

I already ordered the adapter and I'll try to connect it, but if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy a new HDD.

But, how will I get the files from my current HDD to the new one if I get it?

Edit: I found this Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive for $52.

It's basically the same as my current one, but it has double the space.

Make sure your HDD jumper is set to slave or cable select, and your DVD drive is set to master (not single). And if you go into bios, does the HDD show up correctly?

Make sure your HDD jumper is set to slave or cable select, and your DVD drive is set to master (not single). And if you go into bios, does the HDD show up correctly?

In the BIOS, I only saw 6 SATA slots, so maybe it only recognizes SATA HDDs.

About that cable, it has 3 connectors on it; like this: |(1)---|(2)--------|(3).

So on that diagram, which is the master cable and which one is the slave cable?

I'm guessing the master is the one on the left and the slave is the middle one?

Edit: I tried reconnecting the connectors. I put the 1st one in the DVD drive, the 2nd one in the HDD, and the 3rd one in the IDE port in the motherboard.

Then, when it was about to install windows, (before, it wouldn't recognize the HDD) it gives me this error:

STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Last edited:
Are you trying to install Vista or XP? If it's XP, on the screen where it asks you which HDD to install Windows on, do you see your HDD? Is it selectable?

Try putting your HDD on the first connector (set jumper as master), and the DVD drive on the second (set jumper as slave). Then, go into your bios set the boot order to DVD drive first, then HDD second.

Are you trying to install Vista or XP? If it's XP, on the screen where it asks you which HDD to install Windows on, do you see your HDD? Is it selectable?

Try putting your HDD on the first connector (set jumper as master), and the DVD drive on the second (set jumper as slave). Then, go into your bios set the boot order to DVD drive first, then HDD second.

I did exactly that and I think it did recognize my HDD because of this message I got:

JMicron Technology Corp. PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOS v.1.06.70
Copyright (C) 2005 JMichron Technology.

HDD0: WDC WD800BB-00FJA0

ODD0: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B

Then it goes to that black screen where it asks you to start select "Normally" and it reboots again.

WHAT NOW! :mad::mad::mad:

:(

This is really getting on my nerves. I basically don't have a PC until I can get that IDE controller card in, and it's supposed to deliver next week. :(

Ok, I slightly fixed my problem. I disabled the SATA controller in the BIOS, and now it recognized my HDD.

Now I have a new problem: Since my HDD already has Windows installed on it, it says that if I try to overwrite it with a new Installation, there could be problems.

The only options are to overwrite, or cancel; if I cancel, the PC will just restart again.

What should I do?

Ok, I slightly fixed my problem. I disabled the SATA controller in the BIOS, and now it recognized my HDD.

Now I have a new problem: Since my HDD already has Windows installed on it, it says that if I try to overwrite it with a new Installation, there could be problems.

The only options are to overwrite, or cancel; if I cancel, the PC will just restart again.

What should I do?

Is there an option to format the drive?

Ok, I figured it out and now I'm trying to install Windows.

It's asking me for the product key, but the sticker on my PC is ripped.

Are there any other ways to find my PC's product key?

Ok, I installed XP, the drivers from the motherboard's CD, and the drivers from my VGA's CD.

After I did a Windows update and restarted the PC, I started to get this message:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/22/IMG_0550.jpg

What should I do?

I know you got it installed in the later post, but have BSOD problem. I would suggest try installing XP again, but when it asks you which partition to install on, don't install over an existing partition. Instead, delete that partition first (IIRC it's done by select the partition and press delete key), then do a quick format. That way you're sure the old XP isntallation won't interfere.

I put in my original XP disc and the "Repair" option appeared. I selected that, then activated it, updated to SP3 (from SP1) and everything's working fine now! :D

I guess that IDE Controller Card is useless now, is it? The only thing that will work if I put it in is the CD drive, but my DVD drive takes CDs also, so what's the point, right?

If you don't need both disk drives, yeah, then there is no point in having the IDE card.

Glad to hear you got everything up and running :)