Ways to Improve Performance

yup, you're pretty much screwed, you need a whole new PC.

I've learned that the time between you think you need an upgrade, and the time you've worked out what you will need and what it will cost, they'll have built a quicker "new" PC for less

So I always wait until I get an awesome deal and then buy everything shiny and new.

x2. I think you're in the same boat I'm in, Ilpav. On the bright side, you'll probably be able to do an upgrade for quite a bit less than you think, if you do it yourself.

Yeah, I was just about to ask about compatibility of these CPUs with my motherboard. Is it worth it to get a new CPU with a new MoBo?

They also have these CPU/MoBo bundles:

XFX MG-63MI-7109 Motherboard CPU RAM Bundle - Intel Pentium D 940 3.20GHz OEM Processor, 2GB Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2-800 E.P.P. Memory - $160

Intel DG31PR Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Processor 1.80GHz OEM - $224

Intel DG35EC Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor 3.0GHz Retail - $350

If I get a new MoBo along with a new CPU, will I have to get a new graphics card and memory card also? My current card is a Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512 MB, but it's AGP slotted. These new MoBos have PCIe slots only, right?

I don't think I want to get a whole new PC because my current PC is still in pretty good condition. And a new CPU + MoBo + GPU will be a nice upgrade, I think.

I'm still kinda pissed that I will have to replace my graphics card if I replace my MoBo because I got it only like a year ago and it would be kinda wasteful to replace it again. :(

Anyway, about the CPU/MoBo combos, that first one seems like an awesome deal. Should I consider it because of its value, or should I buy all Intel parts?

How would the Pentium D 940 3.20GHz CPU compare to the Core 2 Duo E4300 CPU 1.80GHz? Wouldn't the C2D be the equivalent of a 3.6 GHz Pentium D?

I think I might play it safe and get the Intel package, even though the other one is $64 cheaper AND comes with 2x1GB DDR2 memory.

Should I really ignore the XFX MoBo bundle? IT'S SUCH GOOD VALUE!

If I got the Intel package, I would have to buy extra memory cards (2GB Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2-800 is worth $40).

Last edited:
What is your budget for an upgrade?

Right now, I don't know. I'm trying to decide on which exact components I want to get.

So I need:

CPU
Motherboard
Video Card
RAM

For the CPU, is it worth the extra money for a Core 2 Duo over a Pentium Dual Core?

For example:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.50GHz ($100)
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz ($148)

(new prices are from newegg.ca)

Video card and RAM, I can manage without help, but I really don't know anything about which Motherboard is better.

So basically, I'm choosing between those two CPUs, and I need help with which motherboard will match them the best.

Edit: I found a "combo" deal at newegg and I can get:

E7300 CPU + ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard = $243 (both separately would be $267)

Is that ASUS a good MoBo and is that a good deal?

Edit 2:

Now, about the VGA:

I found these:

MSI R3450-TD512H Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $51

POWERCOLOR AX4350 512MD2-S Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $52

MSI R3650-T2D512-OC/D2 Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $73

I currently have a Sapphire HD 2600 Pro 512 MB and I fount it to be pretty good, but how are these other companies like MSI and POWERCOLOR?

Last edited:
How does that GIGABYTE MoBo compare to the ASUS? Because, although the GIGABYTE is initially cheaper, the ASUS is still cheaper with that combo with the E7300 CPU.

Here are some pictures of them that you can zoom in to:

ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ShowIm...US P5Q SE PLUS ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ShowIm...E GA-EP43-DS3L ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

It looks like the ASUS is better, right? It has more slots and it says P45 in its description, while the GIGABYTE says P43. :?

Edit: Also, can someone please chime in about these GFX cards (forget about the other ones)?

SAPPHIRE 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $65

SAPPHIRE 100237L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $75

The only difference between these two is that the 1st one has GDDR2 and the 2nd one has GDDR3. Is it worth $10 to get GDDR3 over GDDR2?

Edit 2:

Now here are 3 contenders to be my new set of memory sticks:

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - $76

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $65

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $53

Should I go for the much cheaper, but same spec'd, G.SKILL?

Both the G.SKILL and Corsair have "Dual Channel" sticks, but the Kingston doesn't. What is it?

BTW sorry for all the questions. :?

Last edited:
Ok, I'm gonna clean up this mess:

Here are the components I'm getting and I would like to know If they are all compatible; I don't want this shipped to me and then when I put the parts in, some don't fit.

Ok, here goes:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100237L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

The grand total for this bundle is $437.82 with taxes and shipping from newegg.ca.

Is that a good deal? I'm basically getting a whole new PC, right? I mean, If I were to build a new PC from scratch, the only things I would have to buy in addition to these are a case, DVD drive, HDD, and a PSU, right?

Last edited:
If you want to use all of that RAM, you'll need to get a 64-bit operating system, in which case almost definitely go for Vista. Personally I'd just get 2 GB, as long as you have room to upgrade it later. Unless you attempt some serious multitasking 2 GB will be enough for any game.

If you want to use all of that RAM, you'll need to get a 64-bit operating system, in which case almost definitely go for Vista. Personally I'd just get 2 GB, as long as you have room to upgrade it later. Unless you attempt some serious multitasking 2 GB will be enough for any game.

Let's say I run one game at a time, 2GB will be enough? If I do get 2GB, is it better to get 1x2GB stick or 2x1GB sticks?

Edit: I decided to get

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory for only $55.

This: Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory is exactly half what you get in the above deal, but it's $30.

I think the extra $25 is worth it for double the RAM, no?

Last edited:
It's your decision for the RAM - like thevictor390 said, Windows XP can't address 4GB and you'll have to move to Vista. Do you need it? Right now - not really. I can't think of a game that runs better with more than 2GB. It certainly won't hurt you, so if you decide it's not going to disrupt your budget - go ahead.

You might need a new more powerful PSU, what is your current one?

I took a picture of my current PSU:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/08/IMG_0535.jpg

And here's a picture of the whole PC:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/08/IMG_0536_000.jpg

That Zalman CPU fan is abnormally huge, right (this behemoth is covering my RAM sticks and GPU)? I got it about 2 years ago when the original fan (half the size of this one) got stuck and the CPU kept overheating. This fan is so freaking loud; it even says "Quiet CPU Cooler" on it. :lol: I can't wait to replace it (new CPU comes with its own fan)! :D

I also got that PSU at that time as well.

About the RAM: If you were in my situation, you would buy the 2GB ($30), even if the 4GB is only $25 more? Wouldn't 4GB make the PC perform a lot better?

Last edited:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DUST YOUR CPU COOLER

/hates dusty computers

Sorry about that, anyways I'd go ahead and get the 4 gigs, it never hurts to have more ram. Though I'm sure that power supply would power the new parts, it looks like a no-name and the power supply is the one place I refuse to go cheap, since if it goes, it can take everything else with it. You won't need to much power for that system, 400-500w would be plenty so I suppose your current supply will work, what brand is it?

Also, any particular reason why you picked the HD3650?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DUST YOUR CPU COOLER

/hates dusty computers

Sorry about that, anyways I'd go ahead and get the 4 gigs, it never hurts to have more ram. Though I'm sure that power supply would power the new parts, it looks like a no-name and the power supply is the one place I refuse to go cheap, since if it goes, it can take everything else with it. You won't need to much power for that system, 400-500w would be plenty so I suppose your current supply will work, what brand is it?

Also, any particular reason why you picked the HD3650?

:lol: Don't worry, I'll vacuum the shit out of it once everything comes out! :thumbsup:

I don't know what the make of the PSU is (can't find the box), I think its "Antec".

I chose the HD3650 because it's a good price-performance ratio. Why, is there something wrong with it? I decided to pay an extra $10 to get the GDDR3 version over the GDDR2, is that worth it?

Last edited:
4gb ram FTW.

if you are worried about OS / Ram issue, just create a 512mb paritition using Ramdisk and you will be able to use all your ram happily.

Or go for Vista 64bit, it's a win - win situation.

4gb ram FTW.

if you are worried about OS / Ram issue, just create a 512mb paritition using Ramdisk and you will be able to use all your ram happily.

Or go for Vista 64bit, it's a win - win situation.

No, I'm not gonna get Vista; I'm sticking with XP. :D

BTW, I think the manufacturer of my current PSU is Antec. But, it would say that on the rating plate, right? It's probably a no-name.

I searched up the model number of the PSU, and all I got is a PSU that doesn't look like mine, but the manufacturer of it is NorthQ, so mine is probably the last version of this one.

:lol: Don't worry, I'll vacuum the shit out of it once everything comes out! :thumbsup:

I don't know what the make of the PSU is (can't find the box), I think its "Antec".

I chose the HD3650 because it's a good price-performance ratio. Why, is there something wrong with it? I decided to pay an extra $10 to get the GDDR3 version over the GDDR2, is that worth it?

I'd get this HD4650 instead. It has 320 stream processors instead of 120 and is only 6 dollars more. The HD3xxx series is dead :p

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102805

I'd get this HD4650 instead. It has 320 stream processors instead of 120 and is only 6 dollars more. The HD3xxx series is dead :p

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102805

Well, here are their comparisons

3650:

GPU: RV635
Core Clock: 725 MHz
Shader Clock: 725 MHz
Memory Clock: 800 MHz (1600 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 25.6 GB/sec

FLOPS: 174
Pixel Fill Rate: 2900 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 5800 MTexels/sec

GPU: RV730
Core Clock: 600 MHz
Shader Clock: 600 MHz
Memory Clock: 500 MHz (1000 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/sec
FLOPS: 384
Pixel Fill Rate: 4800 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 19200 MTexels/sec

Plus, the 3650 is GDDR3, while the 4650 is GDDR2.