Ownership Verified: wdwben's 2012 MX-5 PRHT (yup, another one)

35975738721_4ee90bdcb1_b.jpg

<3

It's so happy. I want one.

Looks great with a not unexpected amount of patina. Mileage?

Just a tick over 52,000 miles currently. Over half was put on by the previous owner: 27,000.

<3

It's so happy. I want one.

It should be happy after the cleaning I gave it. But it's a properly cracking car. Makes a good noise, goes just fast enough for me, RWD, and a roof that folds down in a state that doesn't get snow. I spend the drive to work today debating whether my favorite gear change was 3rd to 4th, or 4th to 5th, haha.

Wow, looks very good! :nod:

Thanks mate. I'm right chuffed with how it came out. I ended up cleaning the interior yesterday, but that's not nearly as fun looking as the outside.

Decided to see what it took to do the exterior and interior of my car "properly."

DGY44I2XoAIydm6.jpg

Not shown is my foam cannon and my interior UV sealant. Nor the 5 hours of work this all took (4 hours exterior, 1 hour interior).

looks like you got everything covered, is there a foam pre-wash included? or does the honeydew do that?

The Honeydew does that. And for deeper cleaning jobs, I'll be getting a soap that strips off wax and glaze to run as a pre-wash.

Bit of an update. Survived Irma, and the car is in good shape (thank you garage). Due to getting sick, lending out my pressure washer, and other things, my car is currently filthy. Sad panda Ben. I took advantage of some sales and gift certificates and picked up a polishing kit from Chemical Guys (with a buffer), some bug and tar removing soap, and also soap that is made to strip off all the wax and such currently on the car. Not sure I have the time necessary to do the full polishing and cleaning I want to do this weekend, so a quick wash will have to suffice, but in the near future, a two-day detail will occur where I strip the car down to clearcloat, polish out the scratches and swirls, then build the coverage back up after a nice clay bar with a double coat of glaze, a sealant over that, then a double coat of wax. Cannot wait to see how the car looks after that.

In bad news, the inevitable happened and I was stung by a wasp/yellowjack/hornet yesterday while driving to get lunch. Since I had gotten sick before Irma, and then spent a ton of time prepping for the storm whilst sick, I hadn't driven the car with the top down in almost two weeks. Yesterday was a beautiful day out, so I dropped the top, put on some good music, and headed out to get a Chik Fil A lunch, after a friend had gotten breakfast there and it had sounded pretty good. Suddenly, pain lights up on my neck, so I swat at my neck and a giant friggin' evil wasp-thing falls onto my right leg, and then crawls slowly up to my left shoulder. When it finally gets there, I flick it off as fast as I can, but it had already left its' mark:
DJicbH-UEAA1tEq.jpg

Not sure I have the time necessary to do the full polishing and cleaning I want to do this weekend, so a quick wash will have to suffice, but in the near future, a two-day detail will occur where I strip the car down to clearcloat, polish out the scratches and swirls, then build the coverage back up after a nice clay bar with a double coat of glaze, a sealant over that, then a double coat of wax. Cannot wait to see how the car looks after that.

Sounds nice, remember to reserve some beers for that weekend also :D.
Plus no need to clay bar the car after polishing the paint, its already clean and ready for the glaze.

Sounds nice, remember to reserve some beers for that weekend also :D.
Plus no need to clay bar the car after polishing the paint, its already clean and ready for the glaze.

Derp. I meant clay BEFORE the polish. Hurricane brain >_<

Great little car! Especially like the FL front without a plate - too bad we have to put front plates on here in the EU, the Miata really works well without one.

Love the Carplay install - might ultimately do the same thing in my NC. Though for now, a simple AUX cable + phone holder will do. The stubby radio antenna also goes right onto my shopping list :)

Decided to see what it took to do the exterior and interior of my car "properly."

Mm... Love Inner Clean! <3
From most of the other product categories I think there are better products than CG makes, but those are all (most likely) at least good. Haven?t tried all of them obviously.

Mm... Love Inner Clean! <3
From most of the other product categories I think there are better products than CG makes, but those are all (most likely) at least good. Haven?t tried all of them obviously.

Their Signature Series Wheel Cleaner is the best wheel cleaner I've ever used. Get wheels wet, spray with cleaner (which can be diluted and STILL work amazingly well), let sit for a few minutes, rinse off. Takes off 95% of brake dust like it's nothing: http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CLD_203_16

But it?s not wax safe and that?s why I use their Diablo Wheel Cleaner - which is another CG product I love BTW.

But it?s not wax safe and that?s why I use their Diablo Wheel Cleaner - which is another CG product I love BTW.

Ah, I don't wax my wheels, so that's why it wasn't as much of a concern for me. My buddy has the Diablo for his STI.

In other news, with everybody always telling me how OEM my head-unit install looks, I finally updated the boot-up splash screen to a Mazda logo. Looks like it truly belongs, now, when I start my car.

So, last night I spent three hours at a Chevy dealer here in Orlando looking at very expensive Camaro ZR1 1-LE and Corvette Z06s. They're all very pretty. Meanwhile, my buddy bought a 2012 Stormy Blue Mica MX-5 Touring Power Retractable Hardtop. A little jealous of the color of the car, but I'll keep my Grand Touring trim :)

Hopefully I'll be able to detail my car this weekend because it is filthy.

Done. Exterior detail is done. Two stage paint correction, two coats of glaze, a coat of sealant, and two coats of wax. Plus dressing the wheels. I started at 9AM, and finished at 5PM.

No pictures because I finished in my garage when it was raining. The light sucks, so pictures tomorrow.

37427234065_caa65fb616_b.jpg

37427229295_1cdd2a29ef_b.jpg

37427242745_8352e405c7_b.jpg

36615340453_e4a3798a9a_b.jpg

Reactions: TC
so much satisfaction