Webber ended season with fractured shoulder.

rideclutch

Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar ST
Dunno if this was thread-worthy or not, or if there's a place for this kinda thing but I thought it was interesting.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/mark-webber-reveals-he-drove-with-a-broken-shoulder-20101207-18n7m.html

Mark Webber has revealed he was driving with a broken shoulder in the final four races of this year's formula one season.

The Red Bull driver's dreams of becoming the first Australian to win the formula one title since 1980 faded during that period as teammate Sebastian Vettel captured the world championship.

Webber revealed the injury, sustained in a mountain bike accident, in his new book and said he had to have pain-killing injections before races in Japan and Korea.

He refused to blame the injury for his failure to win the title and kept it secret from his team boss Christian Horner.

Webber sustained the injury a week before the Japanese Grand Prix in early October but the fine fracture could not be treated.

It was the second time in under two years that Webber had suffered an injury while training on a mountain bike.

In November 2008, he was hit by a car while taking part in his own adventure challenge in Tasmania and suffered a major fracture of his right leg and a broken shoulder.

"On the Sunday morning before [the Japanese Grand Prix at] Suzuka, I got on a mountain bike for the first time since my accident in Tasmania at the end of 2008," he said in his book, Up Front - 2010, A Season To Remember.

"I was riding with a great friend of mine. Suddenly, he crashed right in front of me and I had nowhere to go but straight through the ears of the horse!

"I suffered what they call a skier's fracture to my right shoulder.

"Suzuka is a brutal track so it was a blessing that the Japanese weather gave me an enforced rest day on the Saturday [when qualifying was rained off], and a pre-race injection helped, too.

"In the end, we got through the weekend all right."

Horner admitted his "disappointment and frustration" at Webber?s failure to inform him of the injury.

"I didn?t even know about the book, let alone the shoulder," Horner told London?s The Daily Telegraph.

"It is obviously disappointing that Mark said nothing. It was an injury that did not appear to have any effect on his performance but all the same it would have been nice to know about it."

Webber's title hopes took a blow when he crashed out in Korea. A second place in Brazil behind Vettel kept him in the championship race.

An eighth-placed finish in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix ended his titles hopes as Vettel was rewarded for his strong finish to the season with his maiden formula one championship.

To clarify, he doesn't seem to be making excuses. I don't think this can be blamed for Korea or his lack of pace in Abu Dhabi, but I guess it didn't help. I don't know why he would hide it either, unless he was afraid it would look like a excuse.

I think he should probably stop cycling though :|.

Last edited:
Cycling is a part of training, telling him, or any driver, to not cycle during a season is like telling them to forget about their fitness.

So he wrote a book and his employers didn't know anything about it.

Hmmm... sounds familiar. Does he get sacked now?:hmm:

Cycling is a part of training, telling him, or any driver, to not cycle during a season is like telling them to forget about their fitness.

Indeed sir. Was merely pointing out his recent bad luck surrounding Bicycle journeys :p.

Nah, Mateschitz will just dose him up with Red Bull...the Ozzy will just fly back down under, one way ticket.

Just heard a bit of an interview with him on the radio here. As he said, he's not going to live his life wrapped in cotton wool. He knows another driver who broke his foot... playing badminton with his son.

I'd rather this, than a bunch of Formula 1 drivers who live in fear of any sort of harm to themselves. It's incompatible with the personality required of a Formula 1 driver.

Sure, he can do whatever he likes, but he just might have wasted the title by ''living it up''. His damn fault.

Err, thanks, but that doesn't change the point he was making though.

He seems a bit shit at the biking thing if he keeps breaking things. Maybe he should put stabilizers on?

It's just another case of the Webber luck at work, neither of the incidents were his fault: the first time he was hit by a car, this time his mate took a tumble and Mark had nowhere to go but right over his friend :(

EDIT:
Sure, he can do whatever he likes, but he just might have wasted the title by ''living it up''. His damn fault.

You're pretty daft, it's not living it up, it's STAYING IN SHAPE, you know that thing all F1 drivers are supposed to do?

Last edited:
Most of them choose the gym. Or other methods of recreation, where there is atleast a bit less danger of throwing away a carrer, which the Oz could have done on 2 occasions now.
And don't try to deny for a second that he doesn't get a thrill from it and does in some measure for that.

Most of them choose the gym. Or other methods of recreation, where there is atleast a bit less danger of throwing away a carrer, which the Oz could have done on 2 occasions now.
And don't try to deny for a second that he doesn't get a thrill from it and does in some measure for that.

You try biking using a stationary bike for a few hours, and then do an outdoor session. Which are you less likely to do again for the next workout?
And don't give me that rubbish about 'most of them choose the gym'. Treadmills and running are hard on joints (which isn't a good thing if you're an F1 driver) and swimming is dependent on location, whereas you can bike almost anywhere; and biking is (surprise surprise) the most popular form of fitness on the grid.