Weird Dreams Thread

I find that if I sleep on my back, really weird things start to happen. I am guaranteed to dream, and to wake up from it rather quickly, but that's not the weird part (I guess I'm just not comfortable on my back).

Very, often, when I wake up, I am fully conscious and aware, but completely unable to move. The first time this happened I really panicked. It's so weird, just being completely numb like that. Couldn't even open my eyes. Now when it happens I know to just relax, and I can snap out of it after a few seconds of straining.

All I know about this is a Google search that resulted in a yahoo answers page that said when this happens, you are entering another dimension :lol:

I used to get sleep paralysis some times. It's not that bad if you know what it is and can recognize that you will snap out of it pretty quickly. The first few times are scary as fuck though. :blink:

Yeah, thanks to Buffy, I now have a name for it and have been reading up on the subject. Apparently it is a very good way to get into a Lucid Dream, and people use it to trip...

Well I just woke up 5 minutes ago, I had one of those annoying school dreams where I had 3 tests in one day I hadn't study for, also it was high school wtf. I do not have such classes anymore I would like to stop having dreams about that.:mad:

Side note: anyone ever have lucid dreams (dreams when you know you're in a dream)?
I quiet often have dreams that get to some point where I say "fuck this I will fly!" and then I do, sort of. Most of the time I can't get off the ground for some reason.

My most reoccurring dream is one where I'm getting chased by foot. I can never see who is chasing me but I know they are. I'll try to sprint and run away as fast as I can but it's like my feet are set in stone and can only move at a pace a bit faster than walking but not at all close to sprinting. The moment I'm going to get "caught" I wake up.

Supposedly, it's common. I don't know what I'm running from though. :?

I quiet often have dreams that get to some point where I say "fuck this I will fly!" and then I do, sort of. Most of the time I can't get off the ground for some reason.

I don't need dreaming for that!:p

Anyways, I've a had a single lucid dream in my life, it was extremely trippy and awesome. It involved a school built into a railway tunnel, which I attended, that was attacked by cat aliens, etc. I can't remember it exactly since it was a while ago, but it made absolutely no sense whatsoever :)

Side note: anyone ever have lucid dreams (dreams when you know you're in a dream)?

Lots of times!
When I realize I do whatever I want, and I always fly.

But when it?s not a lucid dream I jump from mountains or cliffs but never die :D

I've never had a lucid dream, at least I don't think so...

Apparantly the key to getting them is to keep a dream diary, and keep note of any patterns in them, which is basically what I am doing with this thread :p

But seemingly sleep paralysis is one effect of lucid dreams...:blink:

Which is odd, because I've had the former many times but never the latter.

Well from that Wiki article, you are more likely to get them when you sleep on your back, and can be an effect of migraines, narcolepsy and insomnia I think.

Do you suffer from any of them?

My physiology and psych classes always taught that sleep paralysis in and of itself is perfectly normal and occurs in everyone every night (that's why we don't sleepwalk). The abnormal bit is becoming aware of it. On the other hand things like sleepwalking and talking in your sleep are the other extreme and somewhat of a "lack" of appropriate paralysis.

If you have to sleep on your back to have good dreams, that'd sure explain why I don't have any. I can't breathe on my back and I'm rather attached to breathing.

If I sleep on my back, it will happen, guaranteed. It never happens otherwise. No migraines, but I do have pretty bad sleeping habits. I am tired a lot but that is more likely connected to not getting enough sleep than narcolepsy or something similar...

Now I really want to try one of these Lucid Dream things though, sounds fun! I have been vaguely aware of the fact that I was dreaming before but never in control.

I'm probably going to kill this thread with this dream but just this morning I woke up from an 11 hour jetlag induced sleep.

In my dream I was back in high school and I had to complete P.E. in order to graduate from Berkeley somehow. I was cribbing and complaining about it to a girl I never had much of an interest for IRL but then suddenly she's assuaging me and we start making out. This continues all the way to the parking lot (complaining and PDA'ing) and then I wake up.

Hey that doesn't sound like a half bad dream. I'd go for makeout dreams.

I don't need dreaming for that!:p

No I mean like I fly for a little while but then I sink. Like if you had a parachute or a glider or something.

Actually
I play a lot of video games that work like that. Double jump hold a button glide :blink: that's probably where it comes from.

I am very curious to meet the first person who thought double jumping made any sense. at all.

While we're on the subject of video-game-induced dreams, I remember another one from when I was pretty young. I was basically in a Pokemon game, with all of my friends of the time. We were running from something, don't know what, when we came up to waterfront. It was a dark and stormy night (literally), and a giant Rhydon rose up out of the water with some random guy on his back and just slowly walked away out into the ocean.

That's all I remember, probably triggered when I learned that Rhydon can use Surf.

Which is odd for a rock/ground type, he is supposed to be quadruple weak to water /vgnerd

If you have to sleep on your back to have good dreams, that'd sure explain why I don't have any. I can't breathe on my back and I'm rather attached to breathing.

Yes, breathing is great.

I can't live without it.

:drums:

Hey that doesn't sound like a half bad dream. I'd go for makeout dreams.
Those have a habit of turning sour for me.

Last time I this happened: I was in a theater or something, watching a play. Suddenly a girl dragged me with her in to the bathrooms. We started to kiss, but after a second she started to complain about my breath smelling bad and she didnt want kiss me anymore. She said she really liked me, but she didn't want to kiss anymore because of the bad breath. So we want back to watch the theater and she sees one of her male friends and we end up sitting with the male friend between me and the girl. Then I woke up.

I was bummed. I made sure I brushed my teeth afterwards though :p

I had a weird dream last night too.
It started like I was watching a horror movie. There was a house and as always a dumb chick in the movie opens the door and the monster gets in. But the weird part is that after the monster is in the house I get in to the movie and I fight the monster, it's a Frankensteins monster type (big resurrected dude). I jump kick the monster down the stairs and stuff like that. Then things get a bit hazy, but it ends up with me, the monster and the lead man of the movie walking on a road. We talk a bit and turns out the monster didn't really want harm anyone, he was just made that way. Then we come to a suburban area with guards guarding the houses. We start to ninja our way in to one the buildings, avoiding the guards and hiding behind bushes. Then I just walk through a window (the glass shatters, but it doesnt require any force). Then something happens and we get out of the building through another window and I wake up.

Last edited:
Those have a habit of turning sour for me.

Last time I this happened: I was in a theater or something, watching a play. Suddenly a girl dragged me with her in to the bathrooms. We started to kiss, but after a second she started to complain about my breath smelling bad and she didnt want kiss me anymore. She said she really liked me, but she didn't want to kiss anymore because of the bad breath. So we want back to watch the theater and she sees one of her male friends and we end up sitting with the male friend between me and the girl. Then I woke up.

I was bummed. I made sure I brushed my teeth afterwards though :p

That actually makes me wonder if you forgot to brush your teeth before you went to bed that night.

That actually makes me wonder if you forgot to brush your teeth before you went to bed that night.
I can't remember, but sounds like a reasonable explanation :p