Welcome to vBulletin 4! Leave all vB4 feedback/bugs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the old script that resized images that were over a set width/height can't be applied to vb4?

I love the new layout, although sadly the days of the Hoff shrine userpage are now over.

10 megapixel image directly embeded:

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2010/03/13/IMG_0292.JPG

For both Energy savings and ease of reading, I would prefer a background that is darker. Doesn't have to be black, but more of a gray tone in this background white would be nice. It seems much too bright now. Beyond that it seems pretty nice, though it seems as though the text that is used in the sub-forum titles / thread titles / usernames looks out of proportion: a bit too narrow for the page IMO.

Well done Viper and Q, the forums are looking great now (loving the red theme!). The other forum I frequent has many more members but nowhere near as good a technical/admin/mod team as this one with as quick response to problems- we are definitely spoilt here! :lol:

For both Energy savings

The colors on your screen have nothing to do with the amount of energy that your monitor uses. That's not how monitors work. The pixels don't generate the light, a backlight does. The backlight is always on and always at the same brightness. Black pixels are made by the pixels blocking the light from coming through. If the backlight turned it's brightness down when you had a black image on your screen, then the white text on it would go dimmer too.

Last edited:
The colors on your screen have nothing to do with the amount of energy that your monitor uses. That's not how monitors work. The pixels don't generate the light, a backlight does. The backlight is always on and always at the same brightness. Black pixels are made by the pixels blocking the light from coming through. If the backlight turned it's brightness down when you had a black image on your screen, then the white text on it would go dimmer too.
Isn't that only true for LCD monitors? What about the users still using CRT's. All 3 of them... :p

What's a CRT?
The CRT monitor creates a picture out of many rows or lines of tiny colored dots. These are technically not the same thing as pixels, but the terms are often used interchangeably. The more lines of dots per inch, the higher and clearer the resolution. Therefore 1024 x 768 resolution will be sharper than 800 x 600 resolution because the former uses more lines creating a denser, more detailed picture. Higher resolutions are important for displaying the subtle detail of graphics. For text, resolution isn't as critical.

But how do those colored dots appear on the screen?

Inside a CRT monitor is a picture tube that narrows at the rear into a bottleneck. In the bottleneck is a negative charged filament or cathode enclosed in a vacuum. When electricity is supplied, the filament heats up and a stream or "ray" of electrons pour off the element into the vacuum. The negatively charged electrons are attracted to positively charged anodes which focus the particles into three narrow beams, accelerating them to strike the phosphor-coated screen. Phosphor will glow when exposed to any kind of radiation, absorbing ultraviolet light and emitting visible light of fluorescent color. Phosphors that emit red, green and blue light are used in a color monitormonitormonitor, arranged as "stripes" made up of dots of color. The three beams are used to excite the three colors in combinations needed to create the various hues that form the picture.

To precisely direct the beams, copper steering coils are used to create magnetic fields inside the tube. The fields move the electron beams vertically or horizontally. By applying varying voltages to the steering coils, a beam can be positioned at any point on the screen. Each image is painted on the screen -? and repainted -- several times each second by scanning the electron beams across the screen at incredible rates. This must be done even when the picture being displayed is unchanging, because the phosphor only glows for a very short time.

The refresh rate indicates how many times per second the screen is repainted. Though monitors differ in their capabilities, lower resolutions normally have higher refresh rates because it takes less time to paint a lower resolution. Therefore a setting of 800 x 600 might have a refresh rate of 85Hz, (the screen will be repainted or refresh 85 times per second), while a resolution setting of 1024 x 768 may have a refresh rate of 72Hz. Still higher resolutions usually have refresh rates closer to 60Hz. Anything less than 60Hz is generally considered inadequate, and some people will detect "flicker" even with acceptable refresh rates. Generally speaking, high-end monitors have higher refresh rates overall than lower-end models.

Another specification regarding CRT monitors is "dot pitch" which relates to the tightness or sharpness of the picture. A lower dot pitch such as .25 is preferable over a higher dot pitch. In the heydey of the CRT monitor this was an issue because some models were sold with .32 dot pitch, resulting in "fuzzy" text. By the end of the CRT era, virtually all displays had .28 or better and today's CRT monitor can have dot pitches as low as .21.

The CRT monitor comes in 15-inch to 21-inch sizes (38 ? 53 cm) and larger, though the actual viewing screen is about 1 inch (2.5 cm) smaller than the rated size. Screens are measured diagonally from corner to corner, including the case.

Tried, true, dependable and economical, CRT technology ruled for decades before its dethroning in the late 1990s - early 2000s. Negatives of the CRT include radiation emission, high power consumption, weight and bulk.

crt.jpg

Last edited:
Noticed a small problem...or more of an annoyance.

At the top and bottom of each thread, where the page selection is - changing pages works fine, but can you make clicking on the current page to refresh it? Right now it's not doing anything when I click on the current page number.

I'm not sure if it has been asked in the last 9 pages here, but is it wanted that you can only edit your last pots in a thread? The button isn't there in an older posts.

I'm not sure if it has been asked in the last 9 pages here, but is it wanted that you can only edit your last pots in a thread? The button isn't there in an older posts.

You are only allowed to edit your posts for XX minutes/days. This is a configuration thing that has been in effect for a few months.

Any chance of adding a link to the ispy page at the top of the forum? Or pointing my blind self in the right direction of the link on the page?

Add me as another person who thinks the big icons next to threads are 1) too large and 2) a bit ambiguous. The old ones were good.

As far as the red theme that's available now, that is much better than the default for me, so I do thank you for that. The work seems to be coming along well, please keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.