Welcome to vBulletin 4! Leave all vB4 feedback/bugs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past few weeks every single forum I frequent has been switching over to vBulletin 4. I'm always surprised whether I came to the wrong forum or something lol. Hopefully we can get the red theme back because they were quite Finalgear :mrgreen:

Can we sort out the bottom thread info, similar threads and posting permission bars please?, it looks really busy, and I like the bars on the side on the main board page, though it'd be cool if we had a livestream of new posts on the right.

One peeve I've noted just from trying to respond to this: the "Reply to Thread" button takes you to the Quick Reply box, and I'd rather it take me to the advanced screen. Since it's at the bottom of the page anyway, it would be easier to just scroll down to use Quick Reply and send you to the advanced reply screen if you hit the "Reply to Thread" button.

I must say...all these iPhone-style buttons look sharp and everything, but the upgrade has made it hell to access this place with an iPhone (which I do quite often through Safari because it used to be so easy to navigate that I didn't really need a forum viewer like Tapatalk to read things and click around).

It helped when the post-click color was red instead of grey. That way, it was easier to tell which link I'd clicked than "wait...which tiny grey thing is it?"

Now, the nice drop-down "Quick Jump?" menu at the bottom is now completely borked for me. I guess it's in some kind of script the iPhone can't do, but the drop-down scrollable menu was a lot better. I used to be able to open up a list of scrolling options to go through, but now it doesn't even recognize it as a scrolling drop-down menu. It only displays the first few forums for me and won't let me scroll through the menu at all now on my phone, which is no good. That was the easiest way to go from Off Topic to TG to Post Your Car to F1 or whatever without having to go all the way back to the main page (and consequently, the easiest way to kill time while waiting for crap).

I miss the quick jump/navigation box being the very last thing at the bottom of the page instead of up with the Quick Reply box. It looks like it's part of the reply box now, which could be a bit confusing to n00bs who don't know that'll take them out of a thread and away to somewhere else.

Another issue with the new Quick Jump (now I guess it's "Quick Navigation") box: there's no "go" button next to it. That "go" served a couple important purposes. First, say I'm in Funny Pictures and want to go to OT. The quick jump box is already on OT, so I'd click "Go" next to it to go there. Secondly, sometimes I'd be on a browser that's kinda ghetto (...at school, arrrgh) and it wouldn't automatically jump to a different forum after I'd clicked on it, so I had to hit "go" next to the box to make it open the other forum's page. This is probably why they did the goofy script menu with actual links to click on instead of a scrolling drop-down menu of options, but it just doesn't work as well (IMHO).

Text sizes seem a bit smaller and more difficult to read. I miss the lines dividing the sticky posts from the regular ones being red, too--they were much easier to see that way. The bottoms of pages seem super-cluttered, too, with three big boxes stacked under the "Quick Reply" one. Didn't two of these used to be next to each other and take up less space? Like the "Permissions" box was next to one of the others instead of under it? If those boxes were laid out in a more compact layout, it might alleviate the cluttered feel a bit.

I second ahpadt's suggestion of "make it look as much like the old forums as you can!" I understand that it's impossible to get it looking exactly the same, but the last color scheme was warm and inviting. Dark themes are nice sometimes, but they should probably be an option instead of a default, lest we get pegged as "that emo car forum." The iPhone-style icons are cute, but they seem rather generic and having these big graphic boxes next to every thread looks cluttered, IMHO. If they came with the vb4 theme, we'll probably get tired on them soon anyway. I don't even remember having big icons next to every thread because it was so easy to tell the bold (unread) threads from the regular (read) ones. I'd get rid of them altogether or replace them with much smaller graphics.

As for the main page, I miss the gears...maybe update those graphics to fit more with vb4 but bring back something that's unique to this forum? I'm not sold on the main page's sidebox, but don't mind it, either.

As for image resizing...I miss the yellow box script. When much of your forum time is spent on iPhones or sketchy redneck routers that were probably duct taped together and beaten into sorta working with a hammer, lightboxes and other fancy script thingies are the bane of your existence. Simplicity = <3. The old yellow "resized image" boxes were simple and they worked.

Pardon the long post, but I figured you might want feedback re: how the site looks and works under less-than-ideal circumstances!

Last edited:
What i find quite annoying is that this button:
lastpost-right.png
has the completely useless job of bringing you to the last post in a threat, no matter how many you haven't read. This button:
firstnew.png
brings you to the first unread post. Kinda easy to mess up i think. More than this, the link to a thread in the forum overview now leads to the last post, not the last unread, which is annoying as hell (especially in sub-forums with only one or two threads being active).

All in all, i'd love to have the "new" FG look and work as much like the old one as possible. Evolution, not revolution ;)

Last edited:
What i find quite annoying is that this button:
lastpost-right.png
has the completely useless job of bringing you to the last post in a threat, no matter how many you haven't read. This button:
firstnew.png
brings you to the first unread post. Kinda easy to mess up i think. On top of that, clicking the "first new post" button brings me to the last post in the thread, not the first new one. This is a serious, usability-breaking bug.

All in all, i'd love to have the "new" FG look and work as much like the old one as possible. Evolution, not revolution ;)
That's the point of the >> image-- To take you to the most recent post. I increased the size of the FNP button temporarily.
Some bits of functionality have changed, and we cant do much about that due to internal VB coding... But we are working around some of it, so just give us a bit of time to sort it all out.

That's the point of the >> image-- To take you to the most recent post. I increased the size of the FNP button temporarily.
Some bits of functionality have changed, and we cant do much about that due to internal VB coding... But we are working around some of it, so just give us a bit of time to sort it all out.

I really appreciate your work and know that this things take time... i'm not complaining cause i disrespect your work, but because i know you have have to know what's going wrong so you can fix it - which is why i report any annoyance i found.

Like this: while stumbling across a post by katwalk i saw that "last online" is missing from the avatar column. Would be nice to have that back ;)

In all the web authoring and computer classes I took during high school years ago, it was always said in the textbooks we used that dark backgrounds with light text were advised against because of the eye strain and the overall look it gave was described as "newbie to the internet" and unprofessional :lol:

Yeah, and those people can piss off. Light on dark is how computers have been since the dawn of time (Well, since we graduated from paper teletypes to virtual terminals) - eye strain be DAMNED.

I rarely come across websites with white text on black backgrounds. Besides it looks depressing, you notice it eats your eyes when you go back to a brighter website.

The post icon now links to the "new posts you havent read" now.. Its kinda iffy, but it works now.
Last online will take a bit, as that has to query the database and show a new template.. that's in the works as well.

In the meantime, youtube videos now link in 480/720p.

Light on dark is how computers have been since the dawn of time (Well, since we graduated from paper teletypes to virtual terminals) - eye strain be DAMNED.

Well, since we graduated from CRT to LCD computers are back to dark on light.

There could be better definition between the posts and between the background and the reply box.

We need our FG graphics back, like the Gear symbol for the treads and forums.

More red! Red is fast, making the forums red will make the server go faster. Racing stripe and spoiler optional.

User names are all red, how can we tell who the mods are? (only sort-of kidding).

The "Go to recent post" button needs to be where it belongs, it's a cleaner look and right next to the title.

More as I use the forum more.

/I fear change.

EDIT: My rep is wrapping, is it supposed to do that?

EDIT: A "User CP" button at the top would be really nice to have back.

Last edited:
All been addressed already. :)

Also, that's my version of the logo! Yay, finally!

I'm still not seeing a "User CP" up there. There's a drop down that goes to "Subscribed threads," but it would be nice to make that 1-click away instead of futzing with drop-downs.

but the good thing? My boss hasn't twigged about the change, so he thinks I'm working! :thumbsup:

If you prefer red, at the bottom footer, change your theme to red. I'm still working on it, so things will change randomly.

Reactions: Jay
I like it! Not that the old forum was dated, it looked great, but now it looks very modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.