Welcome to vBulletin!

What's the point of the no-edit after 15 minutes? Just so people can't go back and undo something they said?

On a somewhat related note, some of my pictures have disappeared, and I can't figure out why, because I can't see what I originally typed in the post.

See here for an example.

Any suggestions?

Just noticed all my old PMs are gone too :( :( :(

EDIT: nevermind: it just says "Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0" up in the Welcome box, but if I actually go to my inbox, they're all still there :thumbup:

is there a way to make it so I can get emailed everytime someone replies to a post.

If already asked and answered I am sorry.

is there a way to make it so I can get emailed everytime someone replies to a post.

If already asked and answered I am sorry.

In your User CP, you can set the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" option to one of the email notification options, or if you manually subscribe to a thread (using the thread tools menu), you can pick email notification there.

WELCOME VIPERTESTACCOUNT...

Always wanted to welcome someone :D

Feel so old all of a sudden.

Ps: viper i think you should just focus on the new theme. After thats uploaded, and if people are having issues, you can be able to fix them cause thats the only thing worrying you. But Its up to u.

OMG, this is so cool, I'm on a train posting from my phone :D

I was surfing on here earlier on my PSP and vB is alot smoother than phpBB.

May have already been said, indeed it may already be in the works and possible with themes, but there's too much clutter :/ I like simplicity.

For example can the stickies be not-so seperated from the rest of the topics, just with a sticky icon next to them? The icons for no new posts and new posts since your last visit aren't different enough, it's hard to tell at a glance what's new (again this may be in the works with the theme), the name of the topic creator would be better where it was originally, in another column rather than below the topic title, the last post name and date would be nicer on the same line (split currently)

Etc. etc. Just mostly i think it'd be nicer with all the clutter thrown out :)

Incoming major use of the multi-quote feature. ^_^

What's the point of the no-edit after 15 minutes? Just so people can't go back and undo something they said?
Yes. The edit button is there so people can fix spelling mistakes and such, not go back and change what they said, etc. On the old forum, you could only edit your post if no one had replied to the thread since your last post (or so I think). Now you should be able to edit any post that's been posted within the last 15 minutes.

I didn't want people to edit really old posts but that were at the end of a thread. I also wanted to be able to have people to edit posts that have been replied to, but only for a few minutes. The whole point of a forum is too keep a string of comments in line. If people can just go back and change what they said, what's the point? Plus it can easily make reading it confusing.

On a somewhat related note, some of my pictures have disappeared, and I can't figure out why, because I can't see what I originally typed in the post.

See here for an example.

Any suggestions?
http://gallery.finalgear.com/ was setup to block hotlinking and I forgot to add this new subdomain to it. All fixed now.

Just noticed all my old PMs are gone too :( :( :(

EDIT: nevermind: it just says "Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0" up in the Welcome box, but if I actually go to my inbox, they're all still there :thumbup:

Those numbers are cached so that it doesn't have to search the big PM datatable to see how many you have. They should update the next time one of those numbers should change (you get a new PM, mark one as read, delete one, etc.).

Ps: viper i think you should just focus on the new theme. After thats uploaded, and if people are having issues, you can be able to fix them cause thats the only thing worrying you. But Its up to u.

I'm not the one working on the new theme (i.e. I have nothing else to do right now really) and this one is just fine for the moment. It's not that ugly. :|

I was surfing on here earlier on my PSP and vB is alot smoother than phpBB.

Yeah, vB should work quite well on mobile devices. If you want to browse (and not post), try the archive designed for search engines. I'll also look into seeing if there's a mobile version mod that'll serve up a theme designed for mobile devices.

May have already been said, indeed it may already be in the works and possible with themes, but there's too much clutter :/ I like simplicity.
Well I like features, else I woulda gone with something like punBB (a super lightweight forum software). ;)

For example can the stickies be not-so seperated from the rest of the topics, just with a sticky icon next to them?
That's a mod I added and I personally like it. It makes it easier to tell what's stickied. On the old forum, they'd often get lost IMO and no payed attention to. I can customize it a lot though (like remove "Sticky") and such. I'm open to suggestions if you guys really don't like the dividing bar, but I'm more inclined that you just not run a small resolution. ;)

The icons for no new posts and new posts since your last visit aren't different enough, it's hard to tell at a glance what's new (again this may be in the works with the theme),
That's because they are the same. The
firstnew.gif
icon is used to show that a thread has new posts.

the name of the topic creator would be better where it was originally,
That just makes less horizontal room for stuff. Not gonna happen.

in another column rather than below the topic title, the last post name and date would be nicer on the same line (split currently)
Again, it's to give more horizontal space. Why stick it on the same line and make that column really wide?

Etc. etc. Just mostly i think it'd be nicer with all the clutter thrown out :)
Well, the "clutter" is here to stay for the most part. Sorry, but I like features over super light and basic forums. ;)

Added a "Your Posts" to the quick links dropdown. :)

Originally Posted by flamingice View Post

Yes. The edit button is there so people can fix spelling mistakes and such, not go back and change what they said, etc. On the old forum, you could only edit your post if no one had replied to the thread since your last post (or so I think). Now you should be able to edit any post that's been posted within the last 15 minutes.

On the old forum, you could edit your posts whenever you liked. Changes were indicated by a small line at the bottom of your post (Post has been edited x times...) if somebody already submitted a post after your post.

I didn't want people to edit really old posts but that were at the end of a thread. I also wanted to be able to have people to edit posts that have been replied to, but only for a few minutes. The whole point of a forum is too keep a string of comments in line. If people can just go back and change what they said, what's the point? Plus it can easily make reading it confusing.

Err, one thing just came into my mind in that respect: it only applies to very few threads, but what about threads that are edited not in order to change your opinion but to add new information for a general overview like the link directories to FinalGear greatest cars of the 60s (which, admittedly, is rather dead at the moment anyway) or the link directory to the Finalgear photo contests? Purpose of these is not to comment in a string but to quickly find the link you're looking for without jumping to the last page!

On the old forum, you could edit your posts whenever you liked. Changes were indicated by a small line at the bottom of your post (Post has been edited x times...) if somebody already submitted a post after your post.

In phpBB, I'm 99.9% sure you can't edit a post once someone has replied to it, but I can't remember as everyone's post had an edit button for me as I was an admin.

In phpBB, I'm 99.9% sure you can't edit a post once someone has replied to it, but I can't remember as everyone's post had an edit button for me as I was an admin.
I'm not so sure about that. I know you can't delete if someone replied to it, but I think non-admin/mods could still edit.

Actually, I'm pretty sure now that you could, I looked at google cache, here's an example: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach..."+site:finalgear.com&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
If nobody replied to it yet, it doesn't show the "last edited by" underneath the post.

Last edited:

Mautzel is correct on this.

Kaboon! :D