Whale wars: Watch Eco-pussies attack japanese whalers, and fail hilariously

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
whalewars.jpg

Hey all, i just want to turn your attention to a show i discovered recently: Animal planets whale wars.

"But Matt" you say, "Surely your lack of a Toyota Prius and location not in the hippie land of the American northeast makes it most unusual for you to worship at the feet of our aquatic brethren". And you'd be right, my love of this show is not that of the whale lover, but as a lover of comedy, and nothing is funner than total amateurs trying to command a battle vessel in the oceans of Antarctica.

Whale wars chronicles the journey of the "Steve Irwin", a vessel in the Sea shepherd fleet of Eco vessels, out to prevent evil Japanese researchers/whalers from killing fish who happen to breathe a bit like us. This organization was founded by Paul Watson, a founder of Greenpeace, and the captain of the Steve Irwin.

But these are no normal tire-slashing, pie-throwing Eco hippies, our buddy paul was such a douche, even Greenpeace kicked him out by a unanimous vote. Now he roams the seas committing acts of near-piracy (throwing things at ships/Ramming them) while acting like any retaliation (usually water cannons or angry radio transmissions) on their part is a grave offense, and proof that these poor Japanese whalers are psychopaths and criminals. The crew of vegan Eco-wimps are no sailors, and a good amount of entertainment value from the show comes from their misadventures trying to command a vessel in some of the most dangerous waters on earth.

The show is currently in its second season, and airs on animal planet at 9:00PM EST. However if you haven't seen it yet, I've heard of a wonderful program, something about a torrent, that could provide you with the old episodes (The first season is 7 episodes, the second season is currently 2). Discuss the failings of whale hippies here, and discuss this amazing television program.

Last edited:
So hunting whales for money is a good thing, because the ones against it are hippies?

Yeeaaaah... there's hating hippies, and then there's killing whales. I'm with the hippies on this one. Whales are big, amazing, rare animals. We're not talking about hunting ground squirrels here.

So hunting whales for money is a good thing, because the ones against it are hippies?
Yeeaaaah... there's hating hippies, and then there's killing whales. I'm with the hippies on this one. Whales are big, amazing, rare animals. We're not talking about hunting ground squirrels here.

Legally killing whales according to your home country, and most other countries (with the exemption of an austrialian court, which the sea shepherds frequently mention) isnt a bad enough offense for my humble opinion to render you a total douche, these people have mouths to feed back home.

People who have time and money to do nothing for 5 months but do dangerous things like this:

[youtube]vIYdmM6eBQY[/youtube]

in freezing antarctic waters, endangering HUMAN lives (as far as i know, the above video never appears on the show) is something worthy of mockery on an internet forum. Let me tell you about the whale these hunters kill:

Minke Whale: Conservation status: "Least concern" (Same status as human beings) Source: http://www.iucn.org/

I dont have the exact number, but a few hundred of these (not at all rare) animals are allowed to be killed each year. Just because they have lungs and look cool does not mean it is any more immoral to kill them than cows or chickens. And throwing glass bottles and ramming is much less acceptable than say, fighting them in court (which the much less douche-y group greenpeace do)

Last edited:
I didn't say I liked the hippies, I just said I think we should leave whales alone. Not all whalers hunt exclusively Minke whales.

If they hunt whales according to international treaties and such, I don't see a problem with that. All these eco-terrorists are endangering human lives to basically make themselves feel better.

Mad Max 4 - Drunken Sailors

while i'm against the hunting of whales of any kind, i also have no problem with people proving their genetic inferiority and proving it in attempting various ways of removing themselves from our gene pool.

French special forces will end up blowing their boat up for some reason anyway...probabaly in New Zealand.

Would be sweet if some of the whalers were accompanied by a JMSDF frigate.
After all the eco-terrorists are causing material damage, endangering lives and breaking the law of the sea.

Just because it's in international waters and there is no official law doesn't mean that everyone can do whatever they want and in effect become practicing pirates.

I think the first season is being shown on Discovery here at the moment. I had to watch the adverts for months, which were annoying because they look like a bunch of douches. Still, at the end of the advert one of them appears to get shot so I can have a little 'fuck you' chuckle.

The "shot" incident appears to be either staged, or he was hit by a fragment of a flashbang grenade. I havent seen the episode yet but i know its the season 1 finale

OK, i've watched three of these now and quite frankly i'm shocked.

The consistent lack of basic logical thought about what they're doing is shocking. It's just utter incompetence time after time.

I also do not approve of whaling but you have to draw a line somewhere.
And I think that ramming ships on the open sea and especially sinking ships whith sea-mines is far beyond anything reasonable to stop whaling.

But back to show ... I think I'll probably watch an episode or two because their lack of seamanship might really be the hilarity facor :D

And I think that ramming ships on the open sea and especially sinking ships whith sea-mines is far beyond anything reasonable to stop whaling.

To be honest I suspect they're far more likely to kill a member of their own crew than cause any serious harm to the whalers. The 1st mate in particular seems to directly lead to the lives of his own crew being in danger!

To be honest I suspect they're far more likely to kill a member of their own crew than cause any serious harm to the whalers. The 1st mate in particular seems to directly lead to the lives of his own crew being in danger!

Well I have'nt seen an episode yet so my comment is based on what I've read.
But still it is bloody stupid to ram a ship, honestly.

Edit: I also think that it is kind of funny that they sail under some sort of Jolly Roger. I mean piracy has nerver been legal in the first place and don't know what they think they gain by beeing associated with pirates.

Last edited:
I mean piracy has nerver been legal in the first place and don't know what they think they gain by beeing associated with pirates.

Actually Henry Morgan served under the British crown, and piracy was outlawed by international law in 1856...

Last edited: