Whale wars: Watch Eco-pussies attack japanese whalers, and fail hilariously

I agree with their goals, but their methods leave much to be desired. They are nothing more than terrorists, plain and simple.

Now there's a word that doesn't get thrown around enough... :rolleyes:

From Wikipedia:

There is no universally agreed, legally binding, criminal law definition of terrorism. Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians), and are committed by non-government agencies.

Some definitions also include acts of unlawful violence and war. The use of similar tactics by criminal organizations for protection rackets or to enforce a code of silence is usually not labeled terrorism though these same actions may be labeled terrorism when done by a politically motivated group.

While there is no precise definition, I think that gives a pretty good idea of what terrorism is. Now let's see: The Sea Shepherds are attacking whaling ships (violent act) with fishermen onboard (civilians) to put an end to whaling (by creating fear). Their goal can be considered political, and the violence is certainly unlawful. So if they're not terrorists, what are they?

I understand the goal these guys have in mind, and while I'm personally impartial to the whale hunting scene, the right to express your opinion is one I firmly believe in. However, they are going about this in completely the wrong way. If you want to stop whaling, then organize protests, write letters to the government, and raise awareness. Don't just go out and attack innocent fishermen doing an already tough job to put food on their families' tables.

Last edited:
I hardly think that throwing stink-bombs constitutes terrorism.

But we've seen them do more than just throw "stink-bombs" (Which, from what I've gathered earlier in this thread, can actually cause potential harm to the targets). Like the ship ramming video posted on the first page. Or how about this:

gpandsea-img335.jpg

That's a photo of a flare-like incendiary device, fired by the Gojira, setting fire to a section of the Nisshin Maru. Plenty more photos here.

Which ship was doing the ramming? I highly doubt anyone in a carbon fiber yacht designed for racing is going to be doing any ramming.

Which ship was doing the ramming? I highly doubt anyone in a carbon fiber yacht designed for racing is going to be doing any ramming.

That was admittedly before they began using their latest ship, but still displays to what lengths they are willing to go to stop these ships.

Edit: Here's the video.

Last edited:
But we've seen them do more than just throw "stink-bombs" (Which, from what I've gathered earlier in this thread, can actually cause potential harm to the targets). Like the ship ramming video posted on the first page. Or how about this:

gpandsea-img335.jpg

That's a photo of a flare-like incendiary device, fired by the Gojira, setting fire to a section of the Nisshin Maru. Plenty more photos here.

I apologize, I was not aware that SS was now using incendiaries. That (and ramming) are over the line, but I'm still not sure I would qualify it as terrorism. Criminal activity? Absolutely. Piracy? Possibly. Terrorism? That's pushing it.

It's not piracy, as they are not stealing from the ships they attack.

Terrorism, at its basest level, is the directed use of violence against civilians for a political goal. What the Sea Shepherds are doing fits that description to a T.

They don't have to take the ship for it to be piracy.

Threads revived and the shows not even on.

I can't believe you're still here. And still displaying your glorious ignorance.

I showed you pictures of the SS throwing glass bottles of acid directly at the Japanese crew, remember? Is a glass bottle of acid to the face not violent? :rolleyes: You forgot about the rammings or just choosing to ignore them? :rolleyes:

I apologize, I was not aware that SS was now using incendiaries.

Then inform yourself.

...mass killings of entire pods, including juveniles

Do we not have the Japanese on camera harpooning juveniles, females with calves and multiple whales from the same pod?

...they were on camera last season chasing down a group of about 5 whales until they got the last one.

Where's the video?

I even said if you posted I'd leave for good.

Forget all the other lies and misinformation, for this one you claim video evidence so I'm calling you out on this one. Again.

I even gave you an out but you preferred to reject the facts (again) and cling to your fantasy.

Unrelated but...

You convinced me to change my mind about aboriginal whaling and later, after I found some new information (quite by accident), I changed my mind about some aboriginal whaling again because I realized that I had made a mistake earlier.

Are you ever going to let us know what this new information is?

Have some honour.

Last edited:
I apologize, I was not aware that SS was now using incendiaries. That (and ramming) are over the line, but I'm still not sure I would qualify it as terrorism. Criminal activity? Absolutely. Piracy? Possibly. Terrorism? That's pushing it.

Well considering how flexible and debatable the definition of terrorism is, I'm not surprised to see some disagreement. But look at it this way: how long can we let them get away with crossing the line before someone innocent gets hurt?

to put an end to whaling (by creating fear)
What fear? Do you seriously fear for your own safety because a bunch of mentals are engaging in seaborne fights with illegal Japanese whalers south of Australia? That is the kind of fear that defines terrorism.

I don't. But if I were one of the targetted fishermen, I'd be scared alright.
If I were one of them, I'd just ram the little catamaran harassing me.

Oh, right.

Technically it's a trimaran.

I knew catamaran didn't sound like the right word. :p