What about Caterhams ?

charley

Car(s)
want a caterham
I was wondering why Caterham cars have never been tested on the show ? The only few times they appeared where in the background or in the 8th series when they built it while The STIG was catching them on the road.

Why ? I mean, it's a brilliant british manufacturer, and it's not like there are many still out there ! I'd love to see a test on the track of the CSR for example, or the lightweight version. Since they love the Atom, I really can't see why they don't test Caterhams as well...

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
They had a whole ep building the thing....isn't that enough?!! :p

They did have it on the track you know - it was the SR3 version and it was [02x06] according to my magic episode guide thingy.

DiuSee

Car(s)
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i SE OBP
The sr3 is actually a Radical, not a Caterham. I for one also like the Caterham, I would love it if it came to Canada for a low price and as a kit. Don't look at me weird, I am not that guy that built a car in his kitchen.

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
Actually they showed a lap of a few different kit cars. I believe a Caterham was one of em, i know they had a 220hp Ariel Atom, and a Radical. The Radical actually got around 1:19! It happened in the first or second series

charley

Car(s)
want a caterham
yep indeed it was in the 2x06 episode, the black stig did a lap in the R400 (the lightweight version) against the Radical SR3, an Atom and if I remember an Elise, in about the same time as the 220hp Atom. It looked seriously cool, they really should test some new ones. For god sake, it's british !

kurtiejjj

I remember reading in one of Jeremy's books or columns that he didn't like these lotus 7 wannabees very much. However I'm not not sure so don't mock when he said something else!

espadaMK

Car(s)
Rover 75
It may have been the old Top Gear but I remember them testing the & when it came out.

charley

Car(s)
want a caterham
yes I want the CSR to be tested, it's brilliant in both performance and look. What's more The STIG would look really good in it !

scoops

I for one also like the Caterham, I would love it if it came to Canada for a low price and as a kit.

I agree with you 100% i would totally buy one of these kits and assemble it, if it were available here in Canada. I need a garage first though :(

scoops

lol yes... but i don't think i'll be in this residence much longer. I need perminance before a project like this. But one day i will do something like this, i have the technical know how. Already been rebuilding engines, trannys, suspension, body work, and lots of wiring. Glad i'm young, have a few years to do a few projects.

Capacious Boot

Car(s)
'03 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
I would also like to see some more Caterham type cars on the show, as they are about the cheapest way to get supercar performance there is, on four wheels anyway.

I would also like to see White Stig do a lap with a radical, as I think White Stig is generally faster around the test track than Black stig, and he set something like a 1.19 with it.

Plus I think a radical SR8 has the new Nurburgring record. Seems like they should mention it just for that.

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
TG took a bunch of the cars on the board down because they didnt pass the "speedbump test" i think. Meaning that those cars cant make it over a speed bump without scraping along it

Nelis

In holland we also build these caterham look a likes. They are called donkervoort and also pack a pretty punch. It actually beat the carrera GT's time on the nurnburgring. It did a lap in 7,14.89.

here are some pics.