What age did you learn how to drive a stick?

12. In an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GCL (rust included)

I was like 6 or 7 when I actually got to work the pedals in my folk's '61 Renault 4CV. Then my first car was a 3 on the tree (column shift manual) that I got when I was 14. First heel and toe downshift was autocrossing when I was 15 1/2. But shifting has never been the definition of my manhood. I got over the "look at me, I shifted" phase almost 30 years ago. ;)

Last edited:
10 - tractor
13 - car and harvester

Actually I have never driven automatic or even semi-automatic. I wonder how it is.

16 on my friends 328i. Didnt actually use it until I was 23 for small Ford Ranger. Still drove automatic cars until I purchased my 2005 CTS-V! Now I drive stick every day. Girlfriend hates it, so it means I have to be the DD more often than not, but I definitely won't go back.

Officially I was 13 and I learned on an '88 Civic hatch that had over 220K on it. But I grew up in a family of people who drove stick, so I took to it like it was genetically programmed, and I've had people compliment me on how smoothly I handle a clutch.

I didn't drive my first automatic until three years after I got my license :p

10 - tractor
13 - car and harvester

Actually I have never driven automatic or even semi-automatic. I wonder how it is.

It's annoying as hell. Sometimes I drive my mom's automatic Caravan and it drives me nuts. I'm always screaming "UPSHIFT DAMMIT!" "no, not third, first" "kick down" "NOT INTO SECOND YOU HERPDERP" "Okay third gear now..." "I'd like Reverse, please" "First gear would be great from a dead stop. Just a protip" "Hey stupid, when you're in L, that means first or second. Not fourth. I want some engine braking on this hill!"

It's no wonder minivans are always driven like maniacs. They drive their drivers to insanity!

Last edited:
It's annoying as hell. Sometimes I drive my mom's automatic Caravan and it drives me nuts. I'm always screaming "UPSHIFT DAMMIT!" "no, not third, first" "kick down" "NOT INTO SECOND YOU HERPDERP" "Okay third gear now..." "I'd like Reverse, please" "First gear would be great from a dead stop. Just a protip" "Hey stupid, when you're in L, that means first or second. Not fourth. I want some engine braking on this hill!"

Never had any of those issues with my 740iL or any of the moded autoboxes in my musclecars/race cars. But there is a difference between a crappy old broken autobox in a minivan and a real properly working on in a car like the 7 series. ;)

16 years 3 months. 1999 Toyota Camry V6 (yeah thought that was really important) Got my L's the previous month, but had no one to teach me then. So waited for mum to come back, had some driving time, stalling a few times of course, but overall a good experience. I'm about to get my provisional licence (hopefully) in the next couple of weeks.

But shifting has never been the definition of my manhood. I got over the "look at me, I shifted" phase almost 30 years ago. ;)
It's not a sort of "look at me, I shifted" thing, its more just something that is expected. That may be the case in America where everyone drives autos and driving a manual may be considered a bit of an oddity, but here its sort of expected that everyone should at least be able to drive a manual. Especially men :p Less "wow, you can drive a manual", more "wow, you can't drive a manual"

For instance, my brother learnt on an auto car and has only ever owned autos, but he can still drive a manual.

It's not a sort of "look at me, I shifted" thing, its more just something that is expected. That may be the case in America where everyone drives autos and driving a manual may be considered a bit of an oddity, but here its sort of expected that everyone should at least be able to drive a manual. Especially men :p Less "wow, you can drive a manual", more "wow, you can't drive a manual"

For instance, my brother learnt on an auto car and has only ever owned autos, but he can still drive a manual.

Well, reading any thread on the subject, even if you know how to drive a manual and are really quite good at it, if you like/drive a car with an automatic, you are, parden the pun, automatically considered lazy and a non-enthusiast who must hate manual transmission cars.

Since over in your area, both men and women are pretty much expected to be able to drive a standard (due to there being so many small engine economy cars) then it would seem it's not a male specific thing, so not doing it shouldn't be a female specific thing. Basically, even though you may not have intended it, the fact that I really like my 740iL would mean you think I should turn in my man card. And I respectfully disagree. ;) it's on par with saying that driving an MX5 makes one gay or something.

Basically, even though you may not have intended it, the fact that I really like my 740iL would mean you think I should turn in my man card. And I respectfully disagree. ;) it's on par with saying that driving an MX5 makes one gay or something.
You don't have to hand in your mancard, as you can drive a manual car. Hell, I'm considering getting a second hand Jaguar XJ as my next car and obviously that will be an auto. One should be able to drive a manual, that doesn't mean they always must. ;)

At 6 or 7 in an old 70's Bedford Tipper. Had a non working clutch or syncros so I learned how to drive a crash box. Then it was dads Mitsubishi Canter 3 tonner. The had a clutch and when dad told me to stop I slammed on the brakes and the clutch. Dad landed on the dash!!! He wasn't happy.

You don't have to hand in your mancard, as you can drive a manual car. Hell, I'm considering getting a second hand Jaguar XJ as my next car and obviously that will be an auto. One should be able to drive a manual, that doesn't mean they always must. ;)
The%20most%20interesting%20man.jpg

"I don't often drive manual. But when I do, I drive an MX-5. Stay shifty my friends."

3rd trimester ... in a Standard Vanguard 6 (although that was a column shift ... if that still counts)

I agree. My wife and I both think everyone should learn how, as you never know whan you're going to be in a situation where you need to drive a vehicle and the only one available is a maual (less likely here in the states, I know, but still). But I still don't think that knowing how is a sign of manhood. Just a sign of being well-rounded (same for knowing how to FIX cars, or house electricals, or carpentry). I mean, one could just as easily say if you don't know how to rewire your house, you should turn in your mancard. ;)

Last edited:
17, at driving school. Multiple cars: Mondeo, Volvo S40, Focus, Jetta.