What age did you learn how to drive a stick?

One problem with those disposable beaters is that the clutch is generally shot of them. A friend of mine did the same thing to learn before he bought his C5 Vette.

I learned how to drive stick really recently because we just got a car with a manual tranny. I'm 16. Its a 2011 Kia Soul.

I've had my experience in my cousin's MR2 but never got the chance to really practice.

I'm always worried I might mess up somebody's car by stalling one too many times or burning out the clutch.

Sure looks like fun though....I feel like such a pussy driving around in my mom's accord. =.="

Before you say anything, I no has money for car T_T

Intresting thread! It's fun to see at which age other people have learned to drive.

I don't remember very well, but I think I have been about 8 year old when I started to drive my dads Corolla on field roads and on ice. I have driven car when I was even younger, but at that age I think I learned how to use clutch and shift properly.

I have actually never driven a car with automatic gearbox.

Last edited:

I think I'm now doing pretty well for someone who doesn't drive a stick on the street.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ijoZwpmbU[/youtube]

I think I'm now doing pretty well for someone who doesn't drive a stick on the street.

Except for all those small children you seem to be running over. :p

I still get made fun of because I still think driving a manual on the street is terrifying. All those stops and starts...*shudders*

At least I know what I suck at: stalling. Lots.

Well, I know one thing that helps clutch control. Loading race cars onto trailers.

Also trying to avoid clutch chatter with a super lightweight flywheel.

My boyfriend taught me how to drive a stick in his Chevy pickup. I was 16-17? Took a couple of nights in a deserted parking lot to figure out when to do what, and then maybe a few more days driving to feel like I knew what I was doing. Piece of cake after that. Since then, I've had only one car myself that was a stick, drove a couple of trucks at work, and the last 25 years or so have all been automatic. I do miss it sometimes!

Sequential manual transmission when I was 7 - 1987 Kawasaki KD80
Standard manual transmission when i was 14 - 1980 Ford Fiesta
Non-synchronous transmission last year - 2008 International Prostar

you drive a class 8 truck? just how different is it?
Quite different. Shifting gears is a far more involved process when using a non-synchronous transmission. The clutch brake was a particular pain in the ass for me, as my personally vehicle is a standard manual.

That's one of my goals in life, is to learn how to drive a big rig.

Lightweight flywheels make me do this: http://www.phyrefile.com/image/view/PYsCReSEhiibNMkC (warning: Quiky's least favorite meme)

I like how they behave once they're started, but ARRGH. STARTING THEM.

Use that pedal on the right some. Trying to start off from idle isn't practical.

On a side note, I'm getting a lot smoother now and rarely stall it, although I do wheel squeal on hills because I am so scared of rolling it backwards. Hills are my arch nemesis since I'm not good enough yet to be able to dance on the pedals and keep it in place on a hill.