What are the best selling cars in your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next to it is my mother's 2003 PT cruiser
All these things will be going to the town compost in said PT cruiser. It takes a couple of trips but it ends up holding about the same as the neighbors toyota pickup.

<snip>

At least as I'm at the gas station, filling up on my every other week trip I can laugh at them knowing they've probably been there earlier the same week.

I have bad news for you. Your neighbor with the Toyota pickup probably gets better mileage than you do, especially in the traffic jam that is Boston.

PT Cruiser Automatic: 17/23
Toyota Tacoma Automatic: *19*/23

Surprise! You're actually more wasteful, because you have to make two trips, than the guy with the Toyota pickup truck is.

It's not a Tacoma, it's a hilux, I have no idea what the MPG on it is. It's probably 20 years old and the whole bed is replaced with wood.
The pt cruiser fits just as much as the truck bed so it's the same amount of trips. She folds the seats down and can fit a good 4-6 leaf bags in there. It is a long car. and third the pt cruiser is my moms car I have a bug as it says on my profile and in my icon that's 19 city 26 hwy which is in fact better than the truck.

edit: while I'm at it, the one's I am talking about which are the ones most people buy:
ford F-150 at best 13-18
chevy silverado at best 15-20
dodge ram at best 13-18

My neighbors toyota is not what i roll my eyes at, I can actually see around that on the road and he, being a mechanic needs the open top to carry large car parts on a regular basis. The people who buy a giant lumbering truck, that gets less than 18 mpg average for no reason but to block huge amounts of the road and my vision are irritating

Last edited:
The Hilux was lighter and got even better mileage. 20/29 if it was a manual.

I should know, I had one:

ToyotaTruck98.jpg

i'm not knocking the Hilux, it's a good car.
My neighbor knowing how to fix it himself will probably have it running till the day he dies. They can carry alot and they're not bulky, you can actually fit down my road when it's parked on the side, even though he's always got something else parked on the other side.
If everyone traded their big useless things in for those I'd be damn pleased, Hell if I ever had the need to haul large amounts of crap i'd get one for myself.
I have nothing against quality useful trucks, but these people aren't doing that, They are just buying them to say I AM BIG, I CAN SMUSH YOUR TINY CAR SO I CAN CUT YOU OFF AT 5 MPH and god does it piss me off.

Are you sure that's what they're doing? Because, let's face it, a full-size pickup truck is maybe 1/3 the price of your Beetle, and $20,000 can buy a lot of gas.

Yeah, you may only be seeing it when it's empty, but who knows what they're doing with it when you're not looking? See prior posts on this subject, about how a truck is cheaper than a rental, if that's what you need to do.

By the way, people driving over-aggressively doesn't just happen in trucks. BMW drivers in the US are also notorious for doing that.

*googles*
f150 starts at 17000
silverado 18000
ram 22000
bug starts at 23000
that's not even CLOSE to half, the ram is almost the same.
you'd have to find one for 1000-6000 new to have 20000 for gas left over.

When I pass 30 of them and maybe one has something that couldn't fit in my trunk in them I can't help but think if 29/30 are empty, that not many people are getting their money's worth.

Of course there are other drivers in general that are bad, but the giant car drivers are in much greater numbers than BMW ones. :/

Surprise! You're actually more wasteful, because you have to make two trips, than the guy with the Toyota pickup truck is.

Talking about wasteful... What I found even more surprising, is the number of waste bins... An average family here needs two of them at most... :blink:

Talking about wasteful... What I found even more surprising, is the number of waste bins... An average family here needs two of them at most... :blink:

if you meant in my picture, those are full of leaves not trash, we have only one with trash in it you can see just barely between the trailer and the paper leaf bag in the far left corner

if you meant in my picture, those are full of leaves not trash, we have only one with trash in it you can see just barely between the trailer and the paper leaf bag in the far left corner

Ah, okay then :D

we actually have a new law in my town, you have to pay money to get your trash taken away if you have more than 2 now. This is unfortunate for the poor mechanic neighbor with his car bit trash hahahaa

Well, he doesn't have a truck, so he can't make the regular run to the trash dump on his way to work, can he? :D

Now, that said, let's straighten out some stereotypes here. Some of you appear to think that the majority of people are buying trucks in the US. They're not. Here are some pictures from "truck-mad" Texas - where we account for more truck sales than any other state. These were shot two years ago (when gas was really cheap) in the parking lot of a working middle-class neighborhood apartment complex (read: block of flats) here.

If the stereotype that some of the Europeans (and some of the more prejudiced Americans) hold in this thread were true, about half the vehicles in this parking lot should be trucks. I leave it to you to count the number of trucks here.

HPIM0306.jpg

HPIM0307.jpg

HPIM0308.jpg

In case you got confused, there's ONE pickup (a work truck from Terminix), two minivans, three SUVs and *eighteen* conventional cars.

Well, he doesn't have a truck, so he can't make the regular run to the trash dump on his way to work, can he? :D

Now, that said, let's straighten out some stereotypes here. Some of you appear to think that the majority of people are buying trucks in the US. They're not. Here are some pictures from "truck-mad" Texas - where we account for more truck sales than any other state. These were shot two years ago (when gas was really cheap) in the parking lot of a working middle-class neighborhood apartment complex (read: block of flats) here.

If the stereotype that some of the Europeans (and some of the more prejudiced Americans) hold in this thread were true, about half the vehicles in this parking lot should be trucks. I leave it to you to count the number of trucks here.

HPIM0306.jpg

HPIM0307.jpg

HPIM0308.jpg

In case you got confused, there's ONE pickup (a work truck from Terminix), two minivans, three SUVs and *eighteen* conventional cars.
one parking lot hardly accounts for all of a huge country.

one parking lot hardly accounts for all of a huge country.

:rolleyes:

He was providing an example for the typical apartment building carpark. Most of the ones I have seen look like that and the majority of the cars on the roads, even here in Texas are not trucks.

:rolleyes:

He was providing an example for the typical apartment building carpark. Most of the ones I have seen look like that and the majority of the cars on the roads, even here in Texas are not trucks.

well, here in MA I would say a good 1/3 are giant things that I encounter in my average drive, and parking experience. Maybe it's the location but that's what I get.

ok, maybe you guys don't have an over abundance of giant things in dallas, but I sure as hell have them here. The cars I see the most of are the ones on that list. The road in general consists of one part giant trucks, one part the Corollas, Camerys, Civics, Accords etc and one part everything else. The list is dead on accurate for my area.

In Argentina in April

CARS

1. VW Gol 4.015
2. Chevrolet Corsa 3.942
3. Peugeot 206 2.026
4. Fiat Palio 1.598
5. Renault Clio 1.443
6. Ford Fiesta 1.148
7. Peugeot 307 1.145
8. Fiat Siena 907
9. VW Suran 871
10. Fiat Uno 838
11. Renault M?gane 829
12. Ford Ka 817
13. Ford Focus 710
14. Chevrolet Meriva 698
15. Chevrolet Astra 658
16. Citro?n C3 645
17. Suzuki Fun 614
18. Toyota Corolla 602
19. VW Bora 555
20. VW Fox 545

COMMERCIAL VEHICLES AND PICK UPs

1. Toyota Hilux 1.186
2. Renault Kangoo 1.123
3. Ford Ranger 971
4. Peugeot Partner 894
5. Chevrolet S-10 666

I find this interesting. Another example of a country with no car industry of their own.

When I think of Argentina I think of The Falklands, Diego Maradona and this:

520_Argentina_.jpg

In my imagination they would drive pickups. But the sale of such commercial vehicles is dwarfed by small runabouts, as you might expect for a largely urban population I suppose. Similarly the sale of small economical vans is very similar in scale to the sale of pickups.

Argentina is a huge country, similar in many ways to Australia or the USA, so you might expect them to share similar transportation requirements, but there is little evidence for a V8 obsession down there.

Interesting

I find this interesting. Another example of a country with no car industry of their own.

When I think of Argentina I think of The Falklands, Diego Maradona and this:

520_Argentina_.jpg

In my imagination they would drive pickups. But the sale of such commercial vehicles is dwarfed by small runabouts, as you might expect for a largely urban population I suppose. Similarly the sale of small economical vans is very similar in scale to the sale of pickups.

Argentina is a huge country, similar in many ways to Australia or the USA, so you might expect them to share similar transportation requirements, but there is little evidence for a V8 obsession down there.

Interesting

Argentina is also quite dissimilar to either the US or Australia in that a significant fraction of their population still gets around on horseback. Argentina is a high third-world or low second-world nation, not a first-world member like AUS or the USA.

Would you like me to compare UK auto sales to, say, Mauritania? Or Cuba? Or maybe Iceland? After all, they're all island nations similar to the UK... right?

Argentina is also quite dissimilar to either the US or Australia in that a significant fraction of their population still gets around on horseback. Argentina is a high third-world or low second-world nation, not a first-world member like AUS or the USA.

Would you like me to compare UK auto sales to, say, Mauritania? Or Cuba? Or maybe Iceland? After all, they're all island nations similar to the UK... right?

Hasn't one of the defensive reactions to the figures showing huge numbers of pickup trucks sold in the USA (and I've seen similar arguments for the US obsession with the large capacity V8 at the expense of more 'modern' engines such as supercharged I6s and stuff) been to claim that they are the most simple and inexpensive vehicles available?
Hasn't the size and relative population density of the US and Australia been used to justify having huge thirsty vehicles over small economical ones?
Hasn't the relatively high cost of European imports been used to explain their relatively low sales performance in the Americas and Australasia?

Argentina is a huge country with relatively few people in it, but a massive proportion of the car buying public buy VW Golfs and similar small European hatchbacks.

If you look here http://hdrstats.undp.org/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_ARG.html you'll see that they are about as developed as Poland or Israel.

Sure, compare the UK to whatever you like. If there are interesting points of comparison it might highlight an amusing thing in the statistics; Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

EDIT: Ive been watching this for a while and I'm yet to see a horsey:

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/obr_publicas/camaras/senalamiento_camara07.php

EDIT2: Every time I look at a camera on here I see a pickup truck:

http://dfwtraffic.dot.state.tx.us/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.